Mega Man 1 & 2 Coming To North America Soon?

Posted by Darren Calvert

Some of our American readers have felt a bit miffed that their European cousins have been enjoying Mega Man 1 & 2 on the Virtual Console for quite some time now.

For a long while we have heard such comments as “No fair” and “this sucks ass” in relation to this Mega Man delay. Well guys, it’s not just you who have been waiting, even the Japanese have too! They haven’t got the Japanese equivalents of Rockman 1 & 2 yet either.

The good news is Capcom have made an official announcement that the new WiiWare Rockman 9 game will debut in September. To celebrate this momentous occasion they also stated that they will be releasing Rockman 1 in July and Rockman 2 in August on the Virtual Console.

It is pure speculation on our parts but we are of the opinion that Capcom will follow a similar pattern in North America too. After all, why else have they been holding back on the blue bomber goodness for you guys?

Expect to hear more news during the upcoming E3. Your long wait may soon be over!

Source: Capcom JP

Related Games

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

Finally...I'm glad for all US users and especially thos present here on VC reviews, coz I can't stand anymore of the MM whining. ;)
Maybe we'll get MM 3 to accompany MM9. That'd be really nice.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

is those 2 megaman games in the megaman collection for gamecube ? thanks in advance on the other hand the benefit of getting it on vc is that i can pause anywhere anytime and either turn off or play nother game and always come back later at the exact spot i was ^^ lol maybe i will get it on vc instead and wait for the other games to come out later for vc

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Yes, please! And then if you would be so kind, Capcom, please follow said releases up with third, fourth, fifth, and sixth installments of the NES Mega Man franchise. How awesome would it be to have all six 8-bit classics plus the brand new game on my Wii, you ask?

Mundo awesome.

Junichi

Junichi said:

Sterotypical American teenger: Like, dude! This is totally awesome man!

BB_Sting

BB_Sting said:

hmm, the only Capcom games I want right now are the Mortal Kombat games. But that certainly doesn't mean that I won't download Megamen if given the chance.

Terra

Terra said:

About time you guys got these. I've got Mega Man 1 and i plan on getting no.2 soon and hopefully any other Mega Man's that arrive on the VC

Kultist

Kultist said:

This is great news, and I do hope Capcom will release Mega Man 1 and 2 in North America too (which would make sense).

Mega Man 1 is certainly one of my fondest childhood NES memories, and Mega Man 2 is in my opinion the best in the series (on NES at least).

@Jockolantern : Oh yes, having Mega Man 1-6 would be great. Let's hope Capcom will eventualy release all of them at some point. :)

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

"hmm, the only Capcom games I want right now are the Mortal Kombat games."

What the...you didn't just say you were thinking that Mortal Kombat has anything to do with Capcom, did you?

7th_lutz

7th_lutz said:

It will be great if Megaman 1 & 2 will make to North America. It would cut down the complaining a little bit from Wii owners.

I wouldn't download the 2 Nes Megaman games though. I own still own the cartridges. Mega Man 2 is a great game. I consider Megaman 2 or 3 being the best in the series.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

This good news. I think this will stop the US gamers from complaining some because these are good games. Beware of the Gutsman level. Its brutal! Mega man 1 is a tough game

Mega Man 2 is a must download if you do not have the Mega Man collection

Draygone

Draygone said:

Ah, finally. I've been meaning to try out one of the Megaman games. Best opportunity I've got. Question is, should I rush and get the first game or hold out for the second?

7th_lutz

7th_lutz said:

@ Blackfira

Megaman 1 & 2 are on the Megaman Collection for Gamecube.

@BB Sting

Capcom has nothing to do with the Mortal Kombat series. They didn't created the series and they didn't port any Mortal Kombat games to game consoles.

I know this for a fact. I saw Mortal Kombat in the arcade back in 1992. I also played all Mortal Kombat games released the Sega Genesis.

Midway created the Mortal Kombat franchise and they still have rights to the series. It is up to Midway to release the games on the vc as a result.

The first two Mortal Kombats were ported to game consoles by Acclaim with Probe being the developer. Midway was not a game console publisher at the time Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 came on game consoles.

The other Mortal Kombat arcade games were ported to game consoles by Williams or Midway.

PoisonRamune

PoisonRamune said:

I never understood the "wah? No Megaman?!" deal... As 7th lutz said, you can get all the Megamans (1-8) for $20 at the local gamestop via the collection disc. However, I guess there is some charm in using the Wiimote as a classic NES controller or even the classic controller to control Megs.

Adamant

Adamant said:

"For a long while we have heard such comments as “No fair” and “this sucks” in relation to this Mega Man delay."

...which is complete bull, as the US got all 8 Megaman games in the Anniversary Collection, while Europe only got the 2 first on the VC (and have to pay roughly what the Collection retails for nowadays to download them both). It's the Europeans who are the losers here, stupid whiners.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

>.> (Looks at his MMAC copy, and for good measures looks at the MMXC copy as well.) I'm fine.

Stratos

Stratos said:

If this was the reason for the US delay then could there be a similar reason for Vectorman? I doubt it but it makes me wonder again over some of the other delays.

Phantom5800

Phantom5800 said:

meh, I bought the collection for $13 and suggest every other US gamer to just do the same. It's far cheaper and once you get used to using B as jump and A as shoot, it is like second nature anyway.

firebrand

firebrand said:

Now if we can only get Adventure Island 2 & 3 in anticipation of the WiiWare Adventure Island game Hudson is developing.

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

I don't get the problem with Anniversary collection. You get all eight games, a few extras and you whine about two buttons being moved around? I don't have this problem because I have the PS2 version but still, it doesn't take long to get used to it, and it's cheaper as some have already pointed out.

megacody

megacody said:

Megaman 1 & 2 are classics. But if it comes out in North America, they would probably be the last to download, if Megaman 9 is going to be released in the states.

RkGazMundo

RkGazMundo said:

Shame we Europeans can't play our import copies of Megaman Anniversary Collection on our wiis, now that all Freeloaders have been made useless with the lastest firmware update... - _ -' Ah well, least I still got my 'cube and a working freeloader for that! Seriously though, you Americans are more lucky than you think! Listen to 7th lutz, Adamant, and the other people who agree! They speak the truth!

GamerWho

GamerWho said:

Yeah, the US can't really complain about Megaman, considering they can get Megaman anniversary and Megaman X Collection for the Gamecube, probably about the same price as a VC download. :-)

Both are worth import for Freeloaders or Importers!

deggs

deggs said:

yeah, i have to admit, my ps2 mm and mmx collections are amazing and prob my fav ps2 game discs... honestly, even when i was playing the originals on my nes, i loved mm5 the most and mmx on snes. if they could ever top those games, i'd be glad. i soooooo hope that mm9 allows for the charging weapons that are in mm5 and mmx (though from what i've seen, this may not be the case)...

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I knew these games would likely hit Japan before they did in North America. I have no doubt Capcom and Nintendo will do the same thing here, though. As for 3 through 7 and X1 through X3, I'm sure those will come eventually but it's unrealistic to expect so many good games to come out in such a short amount of time, especially with the way things have gotten here in North America.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Well thats good. Japan getting them must surly mean America will follow suit too.

...so does that mean Europe will get Megaman 3 and 4? XD

Pavetheway

Pavetheway said:

I don't know if any of you have heard of the megaman collection that came out with Mega Man 1-9 for like 30 bucks. I would buy that instead of wasting your money on this.

Moses_IX

Moses_IX said:

I don't quite see the point of wanting Mega Man games on the VC so very badly. It would probably cost less in the long run to buy a cheap Mega Man Anniversary Collection for GCN and have the first 8 originals all on one disk. Plus you wouldn't have to wait around 2 or 3 years before they finally release 1 through 7 on the VC. And having the GCN disk is still just as convenient as having 7 or 8 separate VC Game Channels in your memory. And you get the two Mega Man arcade games as an added bonus.

In my opinion, the only real perk of having Mega Man on the VC is getting the old school feel of using the Wii Remote sideways like a classic NES controller. Which is very, very minuscule, isn't it?

But then, that's just my opinion...

MaxPlastic

MaxPlastic said:

This is great for Mega Man fans, but Mega Man fans also probably already have the Mega Man collections...
It is as Moses IX says

Link79

Link79 said:

It's about time. Though I'm not sure if I'd really need to get any Mega man games on VC. I already have the classic and X collections for cube. The only problem with those is the screwy controls. Jump and shoot are reversed which sorta sucks. It would probaby feel better using the Wii mote turned sideways like an old NES controller rather than the clunky heavy Gamecube controller.

fordianslip

fordianslip said:

The only Mega Man I can complain about is the anniversary edition for the Game Boy that never came out. I really wanted that back during the GB advance days.

Mega Man 2 is like, one of my favorite games though, and that alone might require me to repurchase it. Who knows.

Link79

Link79 said:

Yeah it's a shame that the collection for GBA was scrapped. Probably because they were too similar to the NES games. The GB Mega man 5 would have been neat with full color. I liked all the cool bosses named after planets. It was different cause it was a brand new story instead of being a combination of two MM games like the others. At least I still have my old Cartridge.

7th_lutz

7th_lutz said:

@Pavetheway

The Megaman collection didn't include Megaman 9.

Megaman 9 is not Rockman & Forte.

Megaman 9 is a new game in the orginal series.

BB_Sting

BB_Sting said:

@7th lutz "Capcom has nothing to do with the Mortal Kombat series. They didn't created the series and they didn't port any Mortal Kombat games to game consoles".

Opps, my bad. I guess it's to late to go back and delete my comment huh, lol

Jolted85

Jolted85 said:

Heres hoping Mega Man comes before Mega Man 9, I do have number 2,3, and 4 on the NES though, but I like having a virtual copy, great news!

classicmike

classicmike said:

Honestly, I have the megaman collection for gamecube and the megaman x collection for the psp, but I really would like to see mega man 2( i never really liked mega man 1 ) on the virtual console and I will get mega man 9 if it really comes out on wii ware for the US. Also, thanks for this great news Darren!

Madmanonfire

Madmanonfire said:

Weren't we supposed to get a news post about the European VC list today, or is Drake just not bothering because there's only WiiWare today?

firebrand

firebrand said:

@Link79

"Yeah it's a shame that the collection for GBA was scrapped. Probably because they were too similar to the NES games."

Capcom lost the the code for the GameBoy MegaMan games. That's why it never came out.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Go buy Mega Man: Anv Coll for the GCN if you really want to play these and the rest of the games. These will be a waste of a couple of weeks if these come out in the Americas

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

@03bgood - we now get wiiware weeks and vc weeks alternating. last week was wiiware week and we got pokemon ranch and pop. this friday we'll be getting five virtual console games basing on the numbers from previous weeks.

whalleywhat

whalleywhat said:

About time. Really, they should have every Mega Man that was released on a VC console out by the time 9 comes out. I know, finally getting what I want and now I'm asking for more, but it just makes sense. 3 is almost as good as 2, and 5 and 6 have their moments.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

That's good to hear, I guess. But I was just gonna look for Mega Man anniversary collection for GC...

Cally

Cally said:

"I am also very disappointed about the mega man collection for GBA that never came out. It died a quiet death. hopefully i'll be able to find MMV at my local trading store some time."

I was sad about that too, especially when they were newly-colorized. There was some nonsense about losing some code for one of them . . . a GameBoy game . . . -__-

Cally

Cally said:

Oh, the Mega Man Anniversary Collections, except the GC one, also have the option of remixed tunes. And they're actually REALLY GOOD. (Coming from a die-hard MM fan). They all come with some other extras too, with artwork and music. (GC: interviews, PS2: so-so cartoon episode, Xbox: different cartoon episode+interview).

ChocoDK

ChocoDK said:

I already got Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the PS2 so this news doesn't matter to me. But this is good for everybody else who is waiting for Mega Man games to be released on the VC.

Adamant

Adamant said:

" hopefully i'll be able to find MMV at my local trading store some time."

Don't get your hopes up, it's supposedly really rare. I had the game at a time, but stupid me traded it for Donkey Kong Land 3 for some reason.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

That was a pretty dumb decision, Adamant. Lucky for me, I was able to find a copy of Metroid II and Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (Both of which are also quite rare) at the same time there, so it could happen.

WolfLink22

WolfLink22 said:

We should find out soon if it is USA or Japan who are getting Mega Man 1 and 2.I hope USA gets it because then i will have more VC Games to add to my buy list.

Surgical_Precision

Surgical_Precision said:

The fact alone that Mega Man 8 will almost certainly never see the light of day on Wii Wear makes the Anniversary Collection far more valuable then any MM coming to VC.

9 Looks to be EPIC and I can hardly stand the waiting!

mixahman

mixahman said:

As a MM fan I have 2 say MM9 sucks. MM7 was average & 8 was so-so. The Collection version on NGC was horrible.

Cally

Cally said:

"MM9 sucks"

I believe you mean "Mega Man & Bass," which some erroneously refer to as "Mega Man 9." Mega Man & Bass was a horribly designed, fan-made game that Capcom actually decided to publish.

I thought Mega Man 8 was severely under-appreciated. I'm nothing but excited about the new MM9, though. How can you possibly recycle the same engine and sprites from Mega Man 1-6 too many times?! :P