EU WiiWare Update: My Pokémon Ranch and Pop

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Continuing the trend of alternating VC and WiiWare weeks, this week, there are two new WiiWare games available in Europe.

Undoubtedly, My Pokémon Ranch will get more attention than the other title today. However, we wonder if this is fair at all, because in our opinion Ranch is rather disappointing. If you're an avid Pokémon player you will probably get some enjoyment out of the "game" as it acts as a sort of storage box for the critters, but there's not much else to be said about it really.

Pop was a WiiWare launch title in the USA, and took quite a while to finally come out here due to translations! Pop is an arcadey game where you pop bubbles. Of course it's not as simple as it sounds, as various types of bubbles and power-ups also come into play. There's also a multiplayer mode and an online leaderboard to see how you stack up against others. The game is surprisingly fun despite being so simple and comes highly recommended.

Following the new pattern, there are no new titles on the Virtual Console this week. Hopefully there will be five games again next week!

Related Games

Ark

Ark said:

This is a pretty good week for Europe in my opinion. Pop is pure arcade fun, and Pokemon Ranch is a great storage tool. Enjoy. :)

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

In my opinion this update sucks, not because of the quality of the games, because of my stupid Wii being on its way to Nintendo due to Brawls stupid dual layer disc being too scared to spin.

I'm glad we finally got Pop though.

Sonic for Sega MS next friday now please.

Objection

Objection said:

Good for you, you got Pop! Next you need DYC, and Gryostarr may be a wait (if the past is an indication) unless it was developed in Europe. (Can't remember.) Plus, you got 2 wiiware games to our 1! Don't complain that we have more. Well, you will.At least you have as many (or more) Vc than us now.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

While i can't afford My pokémon ranch but i can download some Pay'n'play content for my life as a king .
So today i didn't have enouth points to decide what to delete .

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

unless it was developed in Europe. (Can't remember.)

Actually Gyrostarr was developed in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. Which is actually about 3 hours away from where I am...

AtTheDriveIn92

AtTheDriveIn92 said:

Chrono Trigger is coming to the DS, mark that one off your wanted list, it was announced yesterday, I know this is the wiiware site btw, but I haven't gotten around to making myself a VC-Reviews member haha, this sucks though! and i also know this is off topic! sorry!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Yay! Finally you European guys get Pop! I haven't even gotten a chance to buy it yet, but I heard it was very good. Too bad its sales are going to be so heavily impacted due to it being released at the same time as Pokemon Ranch, unless EU people are smarter than the NA people(last I checked, Pokemon Ranch is Still the best seller on the charts).

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@ AtTheDriveIn92

You do know you don't need to sign up for both sites, right? Your Wiiware account counts as a VC-review account too.

@Red Yoshi

We all want Eternity's Child(I am correct in saying "All", right?)

Oh, and good idea, mark your calander for another Square Enix remake/cash-in! I'll wait for it to come out on VC...oh wait SE doesn't put out games on VC that they could simply remake! I guess I'm in a bit of a conundrum now aren't I?

AtTheDriveIn92

AtTheDriveIn92 said:

that's what i thought at first, but i think since i had a wiiware account after the site split into two, it didn't carry over, so i don't lol, i've checked and everything, i'll check again though, thanks for the notice!

AtTheDriveIn92

AtTheDriveIn92 said:

haha you were right! i just had to go under the login thing, i wasn't doing it right before lol, thanks!

Terra

Terra said:

I realistically thought it would be Pop alongside My Pokemon Ranch and it was. My next prediction for the Europe WiiWare releases are Gyrostarr and Defend Your Castle

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Your welcome! I wasn't too sure myself, actually, though I did recall a sign saying that if I signed up for VC Reviews, I don't have to sign up for Wiiware World. Of Course, I also recall a beautiful blonde woman sitting next to me while I was reading it, so I figured my memory was a little fuzzy.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Two titles a fortnight... I guess that five language thing really slows down the releases of WiiWare... I wonder if NA releases need three languages...

Webby

Webby said:

@Gavin (#7): Same here. I got my Wii replaced by a new one because of brawl and lost all my savegames. I put myself over the loss of a fully completed Maior Kart, unpack & plug in the new Wii, insert the Brawl disc, Error. So i shipped it back again to Nintendo yesterday :(

uncle_smuck

uncle_smuck said:

Ach better than a poke in the eye with a pair of stilettos. Not much today. pOp really aint up to much and the pokemon ranch looks like about as fun as snogging your uncle. Still its good there coming out.......(the wii ware games not your uncle!) Right im off to douse a cat in various combination of cheeses......and when the cops ask....i just say i saw it on VC reviews

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

Also, we now have access to the new Final Fantasy downloadables. It's a shame I'm out of points... >_<

Virus

Virus said:

This seems to be relatively good news for the Europeans and Aussies. If we keep getting one WiiWare title a week and you guys two games every other week, you guys won't be falling behind anymore (although you'll be behind a few titles). Cheers to all.

Hmmm... I wonder how MPR will do on your guys' charts...

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Yay Pop is out! Go give it a try, it was one of my favourite launch games other than LostWinds. Not bad at all.

Bensei

Bensei said:

When will they make the pattern official?
But great Games this week, Pokémon Ranch won't be suitable for everybody, but Pokémon Fans (especially those who love cute animations) "gonna have fun with this thing."

We need a fail pic for this weeks virtual console!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

u Europeans are lucky you guys get 2 wiiware titles we get 1
But those two WiiWare games are games you've had for weeks.

whts up wit the brawl tht the Europeans got whts wrong wit it
The same thing that wrong with any copies of Brawl. Early Wiis can't read Dual Layered discs too well (Nintendo claim dirty laser but I think its more a case of laster too weak to read dual layers).

Hey i was thinking about getting pop but what do u guys think?
Do you like your puzzle games with lots of action and buliding up large chains for a high score? If yes then Pop is just that. Also read the review up on this site.

I'd love to download Pop but i'm on Holiday now...oh well Pop i'll save you from the bottom of the charts when I get back.

Sidney_bl

Sidney_bl said:

Pop!

One month after Nintendo said it was going to be out on the first days of the WiiWare service.

Someone has to tell Nintendo we don't like this two week pattern.

BDPatVCR

BDPatVCR said:

Damn, i was hoping for Defend Your Castle ...

• sigh - maybe in two weeks ... predictability is a b*tch
DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

Sorry to go OT, but like Jonny, my Brawl played fine and my Wii was the first one sold out of the local on launch day.

Anywho, enjoying PoP but I'll never buy MPR.

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

Shiryu, in Ninty's mind MPR is a massive title, so I knew we wouldn't see Gyro, hell, I didn't even expect PoP. I thought maybe Blackjack though.

stedaman

stedaman said:

@ battledevil789

Oh come on!

You have like 6 more games than us, and all of the ones we have now.

Family Table Tennis, Critty Round Up, Gyrostarr, Protohea, Defend Your Castle, VIP Casino and some more u'll get for the next two mondays while we wait two weeks!

We are sooooooooo behind :|

Terra

Terra said:

There should be at least 3 games when it's WiiWare week so we can catch up

WindOnFire

WindOnFire said:

hmmm. popping bubbles or watching mii-like pokemon prance around? I'd rather do neither. Give us some damn good games!
EDIT: Excluding Toki Tori, LostWinds Dr Mario and MLAAK of course