South Korea: Two More VC Updates

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

South Korea is slowly but surely catching up on the enormous back catalogue of Virtual Console games released elsewhere, as they didn't get the Wii (And thus VC) until last April.

On May the 26th, they got Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Oddly enough skipping 2) and Donkey Kong Country.

Last week, on the 10th of June, they received Bubble Bobble and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Seems like Nintendo is trying to get the great games out first! Mean old Hudson, Sega and SNK have shown no interest in supporting the South Korean Virtual Console so far, so South Koreans will have to do with the three Nintendo consoles for now.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

What the South Koreans get no Non-Nintendo VC titles ? Why ?
Well at leat one thing they got there Wii & they got games to Download .

slangman

slangman said:

They may not have feel the VC love for Mega Drive, PC-Engine and Neo Geo titles but i can say that their nintendo launch titles are far better then ours (they got Super Metroid, Zelda ALTTP and Super Mario Bros 3). I guess this kinda makes up for the lack of systems on their VC.

MVP

MVP said:

Korea vc games are independet from japanese vc games?? didn,t know that....

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

The Korean Wii consoles themselves are an entirely seperate region to the rest of the world. Which means most Koreans forefit playing in their native language and go with a Japanese Wii for you know, more games.

neuzd

neuzd said:

I'm really curious to see if they release StarCraft64 over there.
Probably it wouldn't be so popular, being a somewhat stripped down version of the original, and SouthKoreans may not be interested in what isn't "the real stuff", but....I don't know, I would find it to be a very kind demonstration of affection. If they do I would feel really amused (in a positive way).

Phantom5800

Phantom5800 said:

@Starwolf_UK - exactly, I know a few exchange students from South Korea that have taught themselves Japanese throughout the years because it is such a common language for them to see in technology.

Rexy

Rexy said:

I think I know why Korea ended up with a skip concerning Mario 2. I don't know if Korea received the American Mario 2 as Doki Doki Panic, but I'm assuming that NoK are stumped between which version of that game to send to the market in addition to which incarnation of The Lost Levels (Mario 2 Japan). Is there anyone willing to shed some light on this?