Otakugate – The Saga Continues

Posted by Damien McFerran

We only reported a few hours ago that Nintendo of Europe’s Managing Director Laurent Fischer’s recent ‘Geeks and Otaku’ comment had caused God of War creator David Jaffe a certain amount of annoyance, and if the news we’ve just received is anything to go by, it would appear that Jaffe’s subsequent tirade has worked. Fischer has issued an apology, which runs as follows:

I have huge respect for those who, like me, share a common passion for Nintendo and want to make it clear that I would never use and I didn’t use this terminology in such a context or way to cause offence.

I regret that this misunderstanding has created such offence and disappointment within the community.

Jogurt_the_Yogurt

Jogurt_the_Yogurt said:

You know what? I pretty much believe his apology. You know why? Because, despite an almost fanatical level of coverage on these sites, I didn't ever at one single moment see or read a convincing transcript of the interview IN CONTEXT. Every article I read took the "geeks and otakus" quote, surrounded it with inflammatory commentary, and threw it to the hyenas.

Mario64DStyle

Mario64DStyle said:

It's somewhat disturbing how fast information can be passed around the internet.. But, on topic.. Its good to see the expected apology

TomMc

TomMc said:

All i can say is it's to late now! There no point apologising now! Just fire him Nintendo get someone better who understands what we want! (:

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Ah, PR Spin... When I called you all Geeks and Otaku, I meant it in a GOOD way, honest! :P

Note he doesn't actually say he's sorry for WHAT he said, just how it was taken, nor did he say we're NOT Geeks and Otaku, in fact he says he's "like" that, but doesn't call himself such, mind... But hey, Geeks and Otaku are terms of endearment, honest! :D

Gotta love PR.

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

HE DID NOT APOLOGIZE. He simply "regrets the misunderstanding within the community". He said WE made the mistake, not him!

koresh1959

koresh1959 said:

It's quite obvious that the original comment was made on a whim and without malice, but that doesn't make it any less ignorant and insulting (i.e. the dismissal of widespread and valid concerns) to a large portion of Nintendo's fanbase.

Ben__Harlan

Ben__Harlan said:

Well, that thing offended me by calleng me geek. Now he's saying sorry? I cant believe it.

bouncicles

bouncicles said:

Yeah, yeah. This is all a distraction. The real question is when are we going to be getting some kind of storage medium?

Tim

Tim said:

I think I am one of the only people who didn't really care about being called a geek. I guess it might have something to do with me not being passionate about Nintendo. I would probably take more offense to someone calling me a girl or wimp because I have a wii. Thank god I have a 360 because I don't know if my ego could take those kinds of remarks (joking). :D

Wiireview123

Wiireview123 said:

i would go on a flight to Fischer’s huge mansion and say to him "screw you Fischer i'm going home!!" he need's to do more than apologize. he need's to do it on natinal T.V and say that he does not deserve to be with nintendo on any circtumcantces and say that he has made a fatal mistake to all nintendo buyers and say that his action's do not comdome with nintendo in any way. then, someone shoud get a very big boot and kick him hard right in the @$$. then he shoud be fired and forced to pay somewhere over $500 for saying such a thing.

Yatesy

Yatesy said:

Perhaps when Nintendo actually do something about the ridiculous situation at present, whereby tens of my games are currently drifting around in cyberspace/oblivion because they will not all fit onto the Wii's paltry memory allotment, I might decide to accept his "apology"....

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

I think the main point was that he was writing off a storage solution on a handful of nerds, which is alarming to hear from a Nintendo employee, considering we pretty much ALL need one. He basically turned to his consumer base and said, "You're a bunch of nerds if you want to save more games." Is Nintendo really THIS out of touch with us and do they really care THIS little? It was this feeling I got from his comment which pissed me off, not really what he said or the words he used.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

So we share a passion for Nintendo, LIKE him? That would mean he's experiencing storage problems as well! So why wouldn't he be more enthusiastic about a storage solution? I think he needs to prove his "passion" by taking every step he can to give us our precious solution.

Also, I suggested this over at VC:R but I feel I should do it here too. Let's all go to the Everybody Votes Channel and submit this question:
Do you wish there was a way to store more channels/data on the Wii?
Yes or No
(or something to that effect)
This will give Nintendo a better picture of exactly how many people want a storage solution...of course they probably won't use it because they don't tend to post video game related questions, but even if they don't they'll see this sudden surge of Wii storage related questions and know that people are starting to wonder about it...I dunno, just a thought I had last night.

The_Indigo_Effect

The_Indigo_Effect said:

Really, what's the appropriate way to use the terms "geek" or "otaku" ?
Last I heard, "geek" was a slang term for an intelligent/eccentric person with no social life. Seriously, if Laurent Fischer had called Nintendo fans "idiots" and later apologized, he would have convinced some of you that he meant it in a nice way.

Objection

Objection said:

Oh i see. He meant "geeks and otakus" in a good way! That completely exists! And not only that, the rest of what he said is: "I'm sorry you misunderstood me" "I'm sorry for what has transpired" not "I'm sorry I'm an arse. I regret what I did."

hal

hal said:

lol the problem isn't just the words, but the bad service! the rest is completely useless. --he shouldn't have SAID anything.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

So with a large amount of space I could download a number of games and that would be that but apparently I'd get a headache.

Or I could not get a headache by checking to see how much space I have left, deciding which game to delete, going to the wiishop, discovering i haven't deleted enough games, go back to the memory and choose another game to delete then go back to the shop and download my game.

Is that right, Laurent?

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

@Bass X0
Yep, I think that's Nintendo's new definition of "convenience." That seems to be what every Nintendo rep has been suggesting.

deshadow52

deshadow52 said:

i didnt think this was a big deal lets just hope they come up with a storage solution and leave it at that