Nintendo Dominate US Games Market
Posted by Anthony Dickens
Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii boost sales and keep Nintendo at number one state-side, Reggie will be chillaxing by the pool as we speak.
"The Wii Wheel and Wii Balance Board accessories make game play fun for new gamers while presenting new challenges for those who have been playing a long time," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "The diversity of the seven Nintendo games represented in NPD's top 10 for May demonstrates how Nintendo has something for everyone."
Here's the figures:
- During May, Wii (675,089 sold) and Nintendo DS (452,608 sold) again emerged as the two top-selling video game systems.
- Wii represented 63 percent of all current-generation consoles sold in May, while Nintendo DS had a 71 percent share of the portable market.
- Lifetime sales of Wii now stand at nearly 10.2 million (on par with Xbox 360).
- Lifetime sales of Nintendo DS are now at more than 20 million.
- Wii Play sold more than 295,000 in May, bringing its lifetime sales to more than 5.8 million.
- Of the top 30 best-selling games of May, 19 are made for Nintendo systems, including third-party hits like Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock from Activision, We Ski from Namco Bandai, Game Party from Midway and Boom Blox from Electronic Arts.
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness combined to sell more than 208,000 in May, with lifetime sales of more than 613,000.
Quite amazing; to be honest we're still getting over the fact Nintendo have completely smashed the market apart to take number one spot with the Wii being the number one console on the market, none of us could ever of expected that, Iwata-san has done well, very well.
But what's next? Nintendo, currently, don't have ANY games scheduled for release. We're hoping they've kept something up their sleeves to announce at E3, otherwise the rest of 2008 is going to be very boring indeed.