Ubisoft Brings Protothea to WiiWare

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

In a completely random announcement today, Ubisoft has revealed they are bringing the 2005 PC game Protöthea to WiiWare. The game is a shooter, but doesn't really stand out too much.

The WiiWare release will include extra features and things to do, and apparently will be released on WiiWare's launch day for 1000 Wii Points. Ubisoft's James Regan told IGN:

Ubisoft is excited to bring Protöthea exclusively to the platform and we feel it's a must-have WiiWare title," shared James Regan, vice president of third party operations, Ubisoft. "Protöthea really reminds me of some of the best arcade games, with the Wii Remote as an added dimension. It's just a flurry of fast-paced action that anyone can simply pick up and enjoy.

Check out the video and screenshots on our Protöthea page.

slangman

slangman said:

Looks good, i can only hope its not as disappointing as most of Ubisofts Wii titles.

Juampi

Juampi said:

I'll be keeping an eye on this title. It looks interesting, but I don't know if it's really worth 1000 points.

CelticCrossword

CelticCrossword said:

Curious, don't those enemy ships look notoriously like the Ilwrath Avenger-Class? Slap on a cloaking device, a little purple paint...

Hail, mighty Dogar! Hail, mighty Kazon!

TheLuigiDude

TheLuigiDude said:

I've been looking forward to this title, though I hope it doesn't suck since it has a serious potential (looks like an arena shmup...outside of an arena?)

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

Looks a bit dodgy. GWG's controls are all fine and well, when the stage isn't moving, but this, the stage is moving.

Gameguardian

Gameguardian said:

Great, I really look forward to this. Gotta love shoot-em-ups =) This is good news for Wiiware indeed. I only want some RPGs as well.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

RPGs might be asking for a lot for a $15 max price range for these games. Looks good, might have to wait on reviews of this vs GyroStarr, but at first glance GyroStar looks better.

Viral

Viral said:

I know right? 1000 points is asking a lot when you can buy it dirt cheap on Amazon or Ebay for less than that amount in dollars / pounds. Here's to NOT buying it. :)

Clockwork

Clockwork said:

I guess it doesn't look too bad but I agree that 1000 points is pretty steep. Nintendo should do discount weekends or something along the lines of Steam every now and then.

Tim

Tim said:

Hmmm, If I really wanted to play this game I would have, on my pc, 3 years ago. What makes Ubisoft think I'll want to play it on my wii in 2008?

The_shoemaker

The_shoemaker said:

hmm I've heard this game sucks a lot of crap. but if they can make defend your castle wiiware worthy, maybe Ubisoft can turn this into a good game?