Star Soldier R Tournament - Are You Good Enough?

Posted by Darren Calvert

We got a cheeky little press release from Hudson today which we thought might be of interest to shmup fans here on WiiWare World.

Do you have what it takes to compete and win Hudson's Top 5 Wii Games along with 16,000 Wii Points?

Note: This appears to only be open to American and Canadian Wii owners!

More on the tournament registration page.

Star Soldier R Tournament and Sweepstakes Announced

Sign Up Today on Hudson's Website

"SHOOT NOW, WIN PRIZES LATER"
TOURNAMENT & SWEEPSTAKES FOR STAR SOLDIER R ANNOUNCED

Players Can Sign Up on Hudson's Website Beginning May 27

REDWOOD CITY, CA – May 27, 2008 - Hudson Entertainment, the North
American publishing arm of Hudson Soft, today announced that
registration for both a tournament and a sweepstakes for the recently
launched galactic shooter, Star Soldier R for WiiWare™ on Wii™ begins
May 27, 2008 and will go through June 24, 2008, concurrent with the
contests.

For players who want to see if they can achieve the highest score in
Star Soldier R in the nation, Hudson Entertainment is hosting the
'Star Soldier R "Shoot Now, Win Prizes Later" Tournament &
Sweepstakes', beginning at 12 a.m. May 27, 2008 and runs through 7
p.m. on June 24, 2008. Gamers will have one month to vie for the high
score in Star Soldier R's "5-Minute Mode" where the top players on the
ranking leaderboards have the chance to win prizes. Two rounds of
tournament prizes will be awarded based on players' scores. To sign
up, players must register on the tournament registration page

The first place winners will receive Hudson's Top 5 Wii Games along
with 16,000 Wii Points™, 10th place winners will receive 10,000 Wii
Points, and the players in 16th place will win 4,000 Wii Points. For
the sweepstakes, 10 users will be picked in one random drawing to win
prizes. For more information about the contests please visit the
registration page.

Published by Hudson Entertainment, Star Soldier R is a 2-level game
that features a tournament-style approach in its gameplay which
challenges players to achieve a high score with either a 2-Minute or
5-Minute Mode. Each mode offers quick and exciting gameplay and gives
players just enough time to play through each mode. The 2-Minute Mode
features one stage where gamers have 2 minutes to battle through one
action-packed level while fighting against one giant boss. In the
5-Minute Mode, players have five minutes to work their way through to
fight and defeat another boss through a second level. Though both
modes are time-limited, the added competitive and replay value for
players comes after they earn their scores, which they can post to the
in-game leaderboards and then check out how they compare with other
players in the region, nation, or even the world. The goal is for
players to replay the game over and over again to beat their high
score, improve their ranking, and discover different strategies in
order to earn bonus points in the 2-Minute and 5-Minute Modes. If they
can collect them all, they might have the honor of boasting the top
score in the world!

Hilanderous

Hilanderous said:

Whoa! That's really cool of them! What a perfect way to promote the game. Anybody going to attempt this feat?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I think I'll quit all my jobs and dedicate my life to shooter greatness. Can't hurt to give it a go. I got 2nd place at an R-Type competition they had in Las Vegas when I was in high school. Of course, that was a long time ago and I ain't what I used to be. :)

ZueriHB

ZueriHB said:

@Corbie, just play, play and play. then you'll get better, for sure.

I myself can't enter, damn US-Centric stuff, should be forbidden.

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

Just registered!
Still haven't touched the 5 Minute Mode, so this should be interesting...
Wonder if I'll be competing against my arch-nemesis, WiiRocks!?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I think I'll try to play some more Star Soldier R later. I haven't touched it since I did the review. I should be ashamed.

Bensei

Bensei said:

Taht would have been a reason to buy that game, although I'm not a Star Soldier fan...

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Yes I am the archnemesis. And if I can finally beat that 2nd level boss I might have a shot and getting some more Wii points.

Good luck

J_K

J_K said:

Mmmm that's tempting. Almost as long ago as it was when Indiana Jones last hit the theaters I was the high scoring champion of Gradius III at my local mall at the Captron store if anyone remembers those. I won a lame pittance ($20 cert towards a Super Scope 6) but it still was cool. Took it by a landslide too during one of my 3 attempts. I played the hell out of that game for a good week when I found out about it.

I used to be fairly good at Star Soldier on the NES, same game here, new coat of paint and shortened. I'm tempted.

Boringman54

Boringman54 said:

That's awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have Star Soldier and I don't feel like getting it since I probably wouldn't get very high in the ranking anyways.

Chris_Davis

Chris_Davis said:

Stupid people with there silly acents. They get EVERYTING well not Australia but all the other contries that stole English and changed the name to "American" or "Canadian"...

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

@Jupiter & @Boringman - Think of it this way: I absolutely suck at sh'mups. I mean, well and truly suck. But I still love 'em to death. Enough to have gotten 10th place in my region, and to have become lockelocke's "arch-nemesis". So if I can do it, so can you!

...

Not enough of a reason? Okay, how about this: Some of the prizes are plain-old drawings. You don't have to place on the leaderboard to win. :)

Objection

Objection said:

If only I had this game to begin with...would have if it had a career mode. It's almost like they are trying to get us to buy it.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

My one claim to fame is that I have a VHS video taped game of Lords of Thunder in which I played through the entire game from start to finish without taking a single hit on the Normal difficulty. Other than that, I consider myself pretty mediocre at the shooters I love so much. :)

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

To beat Ikaruga on just one credit you need obsessive skills like Rainman! I can only get to level 3 on one credit, and my A rank chaining falls apart after level one. Oh the shame! :p

C'mon Corbie, get back into training and bring honour to WiiWare World in the great Star Soldier R competition! You are our greatest hope!! :D

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

Damn i'd buy SSR to have a shot at this........shame that its US & Canada only.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I have beaten Ikaruga, but that took some SERIOUS playing time. I bet I played that game every night for over 3 weeks. I was a nut case with that game. But I have a couple of friends that are just naturally gifted with shooters. They can blow through them like nothing. Makes me sick. :)

McGruber

McGruber said:

This is a brilliant gimmick to get people to buy this title. I bought it and I think it's pretty fun but theres no way I'd win in any way. I don't understand the people who can get such great scores on games like this. Makes me mad! Anyway I signed up haha.

munk

munk said:

I was hoping they'd start holding competitions like this, but now my hands ache from this game!

Phantom5800

Phantom5800 said:

lol, I registered. Even registering enters you for the sweepstakes, you don't need to compete to be entered for a chance to win 2000 Wii Points, so it doesn't hurt to register anyway.

Terra

Terra said:

Damm it, you're so lucky. I'd buy the game if only to enter this competition

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

Bah, that competition alone would be enough incentive for me to download the game. Too bad, I guess. :|

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I went ahead and entered. Now I just have to find some time to practice. I wonder when they'll email us the username to use?

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I am still waiting for my username and then I am ready to get started. I hope my thumb does not cramp up.

@ Corbie maybe you should play manual mode at Star Soldier R to even up the playing feild for the rest of us.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Oh no! Corbie's gonna quit reviewing to win the SSR Tourney! AH! *ks8 raises his hand to volunteer to take his place. xD

How many have signed up?

Objection

Objection said:

Okay, I am registering. Hope to get the game soon and kick a little butt. Not a lot. Just some. Please?

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Hmm....

*ks8 wonders if he should get SSR if it means getting the amazing prize, but begins to second-guess himself since he knows he has a low chance of actually coming in even 16th place. xD

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

I got my registration email! Whoohoo! I'll see you guys on the five minute scoreboard. Good luck, all! :)

munk

munk said:

watch out guys
sitting at 998,800 for 2 min and 2,106,800 for the 5

just waiting for my registration email now ...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I think I'm going to need all the help I can get. As I said, it always takes me twice as long to get as good as most other shooter fanatics I know. At least we have a good amount of time to get better at it. Of course it makes me wonder what those who are scoring so high right now will be like by then. :)

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

This is so cool. It's like Evo, only with shmups and online.
I'm really considering getting this game now. Good job, Hudson - PR HYPE GET.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

@munk sez - sitting at 998,800 for 2 min

(bug eyed) And here I was celebrating the latest escalation with lockelocke. Man, I've got my work cut out for me...

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

@ couthedman92

i can't even name 5 Hudson games on the Wii that are worth playing...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I just got my registration and username. Kind of an odd username to try to remember. :)

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

If I am correct you don't have to get the a high score to get a prize. Is Hudson giving away a prize to the 16th winner? Or maybe I am mistaken?

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

Prizes will be awarded to #1, #10, and #16 places. Additionally, a number of "drawn" prizes will be awarded at random.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm sure #2-#9 will not be too thrilled to know that they got nothing and #10 and #16 got prizes. :)

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

Actuallly, it adds strategy. You can either try to sit in a position and hope you stay, move slightly ahead and hope someone bumps you down far enough, or take a risk and go for the next plateau! :)