Star Parodier and other imports in the next Hanabi festival

Posted by Darren Calvert

In today's Nintendo Europe news in a rare moment of transparency from Nintendo we now know what to expect from the next Hanabi festival:

Over the coming weeks, you’ll also be able to enjoy other never-before-seen greats such as Gley Lancer (SEGA MEGA DRIVE), Cho Aniki (Muscle Brothers) (Turbografx), Puyo Puyo 2 (SEGA MEGA DRIVE) and Star Parodier (Turbografx), and more.

All games will be released in their original U.S. or Japanese versions, but we’ve chosen games without language barriers. Plus – as with all Virtual Console titles – each game will include a built-in Operations Guide.

Star Parodier is probably our most ancipated game of the bunch. You can choose to play the game as the starfighter from the Star Soldier games, a flying Bomberman or a giant, laser-toting PC-Engine. Japanese madness at it's best!

Cho Aniki is a bizarre side-scrolling shooters. If you like games featuring flying babies and laser shooting bodybuilders then this is the game for you!

Gley Lancer casts you as Lucia, a young pilot in the Space Fleet of starfighters that hijacks the experimental Gley Lancer fighter to go explore the outer borders of known space in search of her missing father.

Puyo Puyo 2 is a Tetris style puzzle game much like Mean Bean Machine on the Megadrive. North America got this ages ago, but it is good that it is finally on the horizon for Europe.

So there you go, 3 shoot-em-ups and a puzzler for the next Hanabi festival. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Source: Nintendo Europe news

Update: Nintendo have also followed up with a newsletter informing us that yet another two import games are planned for a future Hanabi festival:

Break In is a snooker game. Simple but fun, well at least for a while!

Digital Champ: Battle Boxing is the TurboGrafx's answer to Punch-Out!! Unfortunately it is not in the same league.

Ruffy

Ruffy said:

WHAT???? :o

Where's Rondo of Blood?? These can't be all there is for the Hanabi festival....... i am so disappointed I was really hoping it would be released in the next few weeks

Bummer.... :(

GameGod3008

GameGod3008 said:

They said there would be others released as well but they're keeping it secret for now

MrPoo6321

MrPoo6321 said:

i wonder if this means we'll be getting a bunch of imports this week? i really dont care too much about any of the games in the hanabi festival of may, so hopefully we'll get some different stuff in the states. although we're getting that one crappy beat 'em up this week, right? hopefully it's not the only one.

antster1983

antster1983 said:

All the Hanabi games this time round will all be Sega or Hudson Soft games, so expect plenty of Mega Drive and Turbografx/PC Engine games... and maybe DoReMi Fantasy for the SNES? :)

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Rondo of Blood is NOT confirmed to be coming, it's only on our Coming Soon list because it's a heavily requested title. Sin and Punishment was also on the Coming Soon list without a confirmation of it coming.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

"...and more."

So this is NOT the full list. Chances are, the big guns are being kept secret.

And btw, Earthbound has been rated, so that's a likely candidate.

Shortay

Shortay said:

No Rondo or DoReMi? :(

Far too many SHMUPS being released on the VC too, I want more platformers and RPG's...

GameGod3008

GameGod3008 said:

Not yet but maybe soon

One game i would like to see released is Mario & Wario, that would be great. I know it used the SNES Mouse so maybe the wii remote could be used or a USB Mouse

Bensei

Bensei said:

DoReMi isn't on there and I can't think that they wouldn't release it as it was OFLC rated before it got ESRB rated

Splutter

Splutter said:

meh. I guess I got spoilt by Sin and Punishment, anyways still need to play through that. Though as previously said that's not all...

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Well, it does say "and more", so there's still hope for Rondo of Blood. I'm sure DoReMi is one of them as well. Between this and the recently rated (ESRB) Earthbound, Virtual Console looks to finally be getting back into the groove of things.

Splutter

Splutter said:

technically aren't all turbografx games import games for Europe, I'm pretty sure it didn't get a release in the UK, what about the rest of Europe?

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

Just got a Nintendo newsletter, we're also getting Break In and Digital Champ. Sorry if this old news.

Jay1

Jay1 said:

Splutter, there was a very limited PAL release of the PC Engine.

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

I have a feeling that alot of people are gonna hate this Hanabai. 2 Puzzlers, 5 SHMUPS and 2 kinda sports games.

Last year, we got a good mix IMO. Still though, I'll be getting 3 of those SHMUPS for sure :D

I'd really went off them until the VC hit :) And boy are there some great ones out :D

CopyofCopyX

CopyofCopyX said:

Another three shooters and one puzzle game.
Meh.
Still Star Parodier looks entertaining, Soldier Blade was also pretty good.

CopyofCopyX

CopyofCopyX said:

Nintendo also had send mails with the coming Hanabi games:
Gley Lancer, Cho Aniki, Puyo Puyo 2, Star Parodier and...
Digital Champ and Break In.
"and more" = Digital Champ and Break In?

toffeeman30

toffeeman30 said:

HOORAY FOR THIS FESTIVAL! THAT MEANS I HAVE A DAY OFF WORK! HAPPY BANK HOLIDAY TO THE EU AND ALL!

Snyderman

Snyderman said:

Even though I'm not super crazy about this many shooters I'm still glad there's some attempt to bring over some games that a lot of us never got to play. In particular I'm really happy that Hudson continually provides such strong support for their games.

I never owned a TG-16 as a kid (neighbors had one but only Keith Courage which sucked) and of all the systems I missed out on I'm continually surprised by the great sound and graphics and am a bit sad that it never really took hold here in the states. Plus the sheer number of great exclusive games is astounding, especially now that they've added Turbo CD games (like GoT and LoT). Who knows, maybe the Sega CD is going to be available too?

Here's to hoping that they do release Rondo of Blood, as all the manual would really have to say is "By the way, there are three hidden characters, one of which is playable. Go nuts!" What else needs translating? Dracula is back from the dead, he needs to die again.

NintendoBrad: Gradius II was released on the PSP Gradius collection and it's still an import. I'm willing to bet that Rondo will work much the same way.

I think the Hanabi Festival idea is really great because even though there's some throwaway stuff in here (Puyo Puyo 2, Columns 3) there's some genuinely great games brought over.

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

Unfortunatelly no re-release of Super Mario Bros 2 The Lost Levels :( An unlimited Release would be wonderful...

RGVEDA

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Splutter, there was a very limited PAL release of the PC Engine.
From my understanding it consisted of a big French retailer importing either US ones and bundling apparopiate adaptors/voltage convertors or the PAL PC Engine that was released in the PAL regions of Asia.

But technically its all new to Europe. Still these will be 100 points more expensive (meaning we pay 50% more than Japan for Puyo Puyo 2) due to the opperations manual having to be translated (yeah, I know its likely they are translated anyway for each game...its more likely the real cost is in rating the games as they always need rating while most non-imports don't, plus more niche interest means less profit).

some throwaway stuff in here (Puyo Puyo 2
Its still the best version of Puyo Puyo we'll get on the VC (and that includes if we get Puyo Puyo Sun...though I suppose we could get Puyo Puyo 2 Remix but its unlikely*). Damos review does a good job of explaining why.

Unfortunatelly no re-release of Super Mario Bros 2 The Lost Levels
Yeah it seems stupid (in NOEs words "the limited-edition Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels."*). I know about rewarding the earlier adaptors but it seems daft to cut out a revenue source.

-Painful rights issue. Compile makes Puyo Puyo. The arcade versions were on hardware by SEGA (really similar to the megadrive in power, resolution etc). SEGA delt with publishing the Mega Drive ports (they were solid, music was perfect as were graphics...sound effects and voice samples were how you told you were'nt playing the arcade verison)
For non-SEGA systems in the SNES epoch Banpresto published them. As a result the SNES got some Puyo Puyo spin-offs (like Super Nazo Puyo...which btw I love due to it being the solve in x moves mode which is absent from nearly all puyo games).
Now Compile are bankcrupt and SEGA own the full rights to Puyo Puyo.
Any of the Banpresto published stuff would require SEGA and banpresto to sit down at a negociation table and I doubt anyone in SEGA, Banpresto or Nintendo has thought to do that...(probably never will either)

**-BTW, this is a Limited Edition comment :P

Rexy

Rexy said:

Oh yeah, I've got my points saved for Puyo Puyo 2; I'm on the lookout for that :D

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

It's great that imports are continually coming but I'm not a big fan of shooters...I'd prefer to see what Dracula X is all about.

And on a related note, when is the US going to get Mario's Super Picross? I believe that's the only import game from the original Hanabi Festival to never come to North America, correct?

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

I feel no more empathy to you, Europe, when you get screwed of a late release date since you guys keep getting the better VC releases.

I WANT CHO ANIKI!

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

DoReMi Fantasy and Bio Miracle Boutekke Upa are STILL not going to be released? Kinda disappointing... perhaps there'll be another Hanabi Festival later this year.

Still, wooh for Star Parioder! I guess none of the titles are "limited edition" this time around, which is excellent.

Jon2

Jon2 said:

This is good new indeed! I will download Star Parodier, Glay Lancer and Puyo Puyo 2 as soon as they arrive.

pdrydia

pdrydia said:

You lucky ducks! I've been looking forward to trying Cho Aniki for quite some time!

Jogurt_the_Yogurt

Jogurt_the_Yogurt said:

They said there will be more than just the titles announced, so I think Europe may finally be getting treated to EarthBound sometime this month.

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

Im just happy to get more vertical scrolling shooters. Im realy not a fan of horizontal ones, and they are a dime a dozon on the vc. Still, a bit more variety in the releases would have been nice.