Helix Brings Rhythm To WiiWare - First Videos

Posted by Darren Calvert

A week or so ago we noticed that Helix got a rating from the ESRB so we have been getting an eye on the game’s progress with interest. We don’t know much about Texas based Ghostfire Games who are developing this innovative music rhythm game for WiiWare, but we have to say it does look quite interesting.

You can now get your first look at the game in action finally as Ghostfire have been so kind to throw up two videos on to Youtube (embedded below). Our first thoughts are this might be WiiWare’s answer to Wii Fit, allowing you to burn off some energy doing some exercise whilst gaming for a change. Armed with a Wiimote in each hand Helix will track your hand and arm motions and recreate this on screen to make your skeleton-like figure dance to the beat.

With psychedelic backgrounds and over 30 electro trance tunes you can prance about your living room pretending that you are the world’s greatest raver when in reality you look like a deformed octopus being tortured!

How the game will actually play is a bit of an unknown at present. It is likely that you will have to follow choreographed moves in order to get a good score. All in all it looks quite interesting and it is good to see some independent musicians get a chance to get their music heard by a wider audience.

What do the WiiWare World readers think?

Love Sensation:

Arabian Sky:

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

ehh, this game looks like it'd become boring.... fast.
how long can some repeatedly follow the moves of a skeleton, while listening to the same track of songs?

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

Looks like a novelty to me...
But, to each his own. I'm sure there's some deformed octopi out there who'll be getting down to this.

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

I, for one, am quite interested in the title. I'm pretty big on rhythm games, these days. Thanks, Elite Beat Agents. :D

Cooldued59

Cooldued59 said:

Ok, I know how it works, the robot moves before you you hit the green line and the dot and you have to make that same move. So, this game is basically a memory/multi-tasking/Rythmn game.

IMO, this game looks like an arm stretch rythmn game. It probably will get my attention if it has the song Chocolate Rain on it or downloadable content.

Quimby

Quimby said:

Yeah, makes sense cooldued, might be alright.
Depends on how responsive the controls are and how tight the timing is etc.

jaurn

jaurn said:

Horrible, horrible music. But the game might be fun. Time'll show.

MrPoo6321

MrPoo6321 said:

it looks kind of interesting.... i think i'll wait on reviews for this one. or if for some reason i feel like making my arms really tired.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Lol. Yeah, don't judge it yet, guys. May turn out to be not so bad. I'd say less than 1000 would be good for pricing. 800 maybe?

Anyway, at least Love Sensation sounds pretty good.

Objection

Objection said:

Looks interesting...different at least. But it looks easy to cheat (AKA do whatever motion with the required number of hands) Hope it isnt too big/expensive.

Terra

Terra said:

It seems quite harsh to call it Shovelware ChocoDK. Major League Eating, Frat Party Games: Beer Pong, Midnight Bowling/Pool. Those seem like shovelware and DDI, one of the biggest shovelware producers on the Wii. They do retail releases, not downloads so they're ripping off people on a larger scale. They are probably most famous for Ninjabread Man. Think of them before saying that.

This game has grabbed my interest more than other upcoming games and seems like decent fun and looks a bit more original than other games on there. I Like the music that was there, particularly Love Sensation.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

@ Terranigma

i agree.
the term "shovelware" gets tossed around way too much.
this game might not be that great, but it doesn't qualify as shovelware.

The_shoemaker

The_shoemaker said:

x.supermario.x

I was under the impression the you do your own moves in a certain order to match the music, not you do what robot does. The music is nice, I might look into this one. I would like to see some balance board support though.

Terra

Terra said:

x.SuperMario.x

Yes, the term does get tossed around too much and i'm tired of hearing it applied to games that really don't deserve it. I mean, there are games that will be great, some not so great and others that just plain stink.

In the case of DDI, they do 2-sometimes 4 games based on the same engine with little difference between them, usually either a diffferent surrounding, different music, cosmetic stuff etc... and lure people in with budget prices and great looking covers. It's because of this that i hate them much more than other companies. I quite often advising others not to buy there games. Also, why do Nintendo let this continue? Surely, they must realise the rubbish being put on the Wii from them.

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

Game concept is fine....but the game itself doesn't seem good at all, and I'm a sucker for music games. Oh well, more money for other games!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'd like to see an Elite Beat Agents game for the WiiWare service. You could always use the pointer to hit the areas onscreen in rhythm. That's still one of my favorite DS titles.