Wayforward Working On Shantae Sequel For WiiWare

Posted by Damien McFerran

Wayforward Technologies – the company responsible for the stunning Contra 4 on the Nintendo DS – has recently confirmed that it is working on an WiiWare update of the classic Gameboy Color platformer Shantae.

The GBC original is something of a cult classic and fans have been clamouring for a sequel for years. They very nearly got one on the Gameboy Advance, but the project was sadly cancelled.

Although the developer is understandably cautious about shouting this news from the rooftops, the fact that production is currently afoot would suggest the game is very likely to see release; WiiWare is the perfect distribution system for this kind of cult game and fans should be very happy indeed with this latest development.

This has the potential to be a very encouraging WiiWare release – watch this space for future updates.

Joxe

Joxe said:

I think I will buy this one, just checked some YouTube videos of it and it's impressive to get all that power out of a GBC which means that they shouldn't have any problems developing for the WiiWare. I hope...

Well, will probably buy it if it turns out to be good.

Villain

Villain said:

I just followed Joxe's example and did the same thing. This might be VERY great news.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I loved the GBC game and this is definetly something I've been waiting to hear for a long time now.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

This is awesome news! The GBC game is well worth tracking down if you've never played it, but beware that it will cost (the cheapest Amazon.com has right now is $35!). I was lucky enough to get it for three bucks at the Gamestop I work at, and while I've endured a LOT of ridicule from uneducated co-workers, it's DEFINITELY a great (and difficult) game for real gamers. Don't let the looks of the heroine (pictured above in the article) scare you off!

Knux

Knux said:

This is the second GBC game that is being remade for WiiWare [along with Toki Tori].