Capcom To Lend Support To WiiWare

Posted by Damien McFerran

According to a recent interview, industry veteran Capcom has expressed interest in developing for Nintendo’s WiiWare platform.

Christian Svensson, Capcom's VP of strategic planning & business development, had this to say:

We’re looking for the right content first — a lot of the content we have now isn’t quite right in value or approach or interface for WiiWare.

He added that development on titles in the West would begin very shortly, and although he couldn’t speak for his Japanese counterparts, he fully expected Capcom Japan to start creating games for Nintendo’s new service too.

As one of the most respected software houses of all time, having Capcom on board would present a major boost for WiiWare. The company has already impressed on Microsoft’s XBLA, and upcoming updates of games like Commando and Bionic Commando would certainly down well on the Wii’s fledgling download service.

Linkage: Aussie-Nintendo.com

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

Hmmm, so far only Capcom studios outside Japan are planning to work on WiiWare games? And the last Capcom Live Arcade game (Rocketmen) is said to suck...dunno. I'm definitely looking forward to any Capcom games, but I'll better wait a bit more before getting too excited about this. ;)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Maybe they will be kind enough to give Wii owners a non HD version of that new revamped Super Turbo coming out for 360 and PS3.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

Good news, although I will be pretty restrictive when it comes to WiiWare... I fear my harddrive could be filled pretty fast. But as stated before, Shantea will be a must-buy.

Steve

Steve said:

Online Street Fighter and Puzzle Fighter please! Just lower the resolution of the 360 versions and release them already.

niner

niner said:

Bionic Commando Rearmed sounds real good right about now. I've been jealous of XBLA users ever since it was announced.

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

Or what about Ultimate Street Fighter II Ultra Mega Turbo Extreme Tournament Super Chunky? :)

(Seriously, Capcom support is good news...)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

This. Really. Make it so, Capcom.

leon_x

leon_x said:

Alien vs Predator ultra turbo remix... or Super Street Fighter II Turbo Remix. Come on, Capcom!

Objection

Objection said:

Phoenix Wright. Breath of Fire. Bionic Commando. CAPCOM is awesoem and I love this story.

MasterMario

MasterMario said:

This is great news. Capcom can develop their classics and even another Street Fighter II game on Wiiware.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Well maybe a wii updated version of street fighter 3 with wii exclusive content as the Virtual console where i got my start in the franchise with Street fighter 2 turbo then Super street Fighter 2 .

Well of subject (hope the mosd dont mind ) i just finished typing the bit above via my usb keyboard that connected to my wii as i was about to save silly me picked up my TV remote .

Serpent

Serpent said:

I would be happy with anything they release on Wiiware. Capcom never disappoints.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

except when they do. and they have many times. i'm a fan of the company but even i can see that they're not perfect.