Japanese Virtual Console list - April 2008

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

After a somewhat subpar March, Japan's April schedule will probably blow you away. It includes a certain TurboGrafx-CD game everybody wants that was recently rereleased on PSP - Yep, it's Dracula X, the only Castlevania game to never be released outside Japan (It was ported to SNES, but with a massive music/graphics downgrade, and the PSP version just isn't the same!). See if you can spot the other classics on the list:

Famicom:
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (April 1st)
-Sky Kid (April 1st)
-Volguard II
-Bokosuka Wars

Super Famicom:
-Famicom Detective Club Part II
-Hercules no Eikou IV

N64:
-Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

Sega Master System:
-Wonder Boy

Sega Mega Drive:
-M.U.S.H.A. (More widely known as Aleste and Musha Aleste, April 1st)
-Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
-Phelios

PC Engine:
-Riot Zone (April 1st)
-Legend of Valkyrie (April 1st)
-Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (We think that this game will show up outside Japan, so we've added it)
-Digital Champion: Battle Boxer
-Monster Lair

Neo Geo: (Yup, it's finally getting a new game again!)
-Metal Slug

Mike1

Mike1 said:

Fantastic. I love the Castlevania series. Now just give me Castlevania 3 and Castlevania 64/Legacy of Darkness and I'll happy.

slangman

slangman said:

Dracula X would be an awesome addition for the Turbographx libary. And so is Phantasy Star 3 since this is a sign us europeans are getting any month now.

Also glad that the Neo Geo is getting updated again, though since you can get Metal Slug with 5 others on the antologey version i don't see any reason to download this.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

whoo! metal slug! now wii owners will finally be able to pla... oh. never mind.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I am jumping for joy if Dracula X come here to the US. I bet it will
I can't wait to play it! I do everything but sell a kidney to play Castlevania

BDPatVCR

BDPatVCR said:

Why does Nintendo Japan has a list of future releases and NoA or NoE don't ?

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Nintendo of Europe actually put up a list of games for December 2006 when the Wii was released, but they never did so since. We've got no clue why, I guess they just like to keep the games a secret unless they're really special (Hanabi Festival, etc.)

Manicfatty

Manicfatty said:

I just had a Nerdgasm...I've been wanting M.U.S.H.A. on the VC since the first shmups started appearing. I hope this gets a states release! Phelios isn't horrible either, but give me Lighting Force please..and Gaiares.
And I don' think I really need to say it but...RONDO!!! Oh...yeeees!

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Holy smokes! Dracula X is like the Holy Grail of import titles. I don't doubt this will see a release outside of Japan as it's one of the most requested Virtual Console titles and it doesn't really require a translation. It'd be nice if it WAS translated but I'll take this game anyway I can get it... well, without having to buy a PSP that is. ^^'

D00M

D00M said:

What was so bad about the PSP version of RoB? The remake was beautiful and it had the original version on there as well.
The only thing bad on that UMD was the butchered version of SoTN.
Regardless, this is great news and I can't wait to download RoB :)

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

PSP version's got some audio problems, and different voice actors. Nothing too big, but it's still not a true port of the original :p

Dracula X

D00M

D00M said:

My bad then, I always thought it was a true port. :o
It will be great to play RoB full screen on TV rather than the letterbox the S&L PSP gives you.

J_K

J_K said:

I used to have that Castlevania game on CD when I had a Duo last decade and it was fantastic. The game was hard, had a lot of neat second exits to find to do other stages, and the musical score was some of the best of all time out of the series. I miss the game quite a bit, and I'd hope to think Konami wouldn't keep treating us badly and will give us this one as I'll pay for it again...count on it. Much furious I will get if this one stays away, much like the disgusting delay with Ys Book 1+2 that was OK'd months ago well back into 2007.

coire

coire said:

Whoa! Talk about a killer month! They get Metal Slug, Kirby AND RONDO. And they also have Wiiware! Let's just hope we see some of that support come to our shores!

Also, 17 games for 1 month?!?! That's immense!

Bensei

Bensei said:

I am interested in Detective Club II because it got a trophy in SSBM, to bad it would need lots of translating (I think) and therefore won't be an import title

firebrand

firebrand said:

Phelios! Namco has been giving good support to the MegaDrive/Genesis. Now if they'll only release Splatterhouse 2 & 3.

Adamant

Adamant said:

The Tantei Club games are fine adventure games, but their relative unknown-ness and large amount of text that MUST be understood (and thus translated) to play them makes them very bad choices for the non-Japanese VC.
Believe me, if we're getting new translations of old, text-heavy games not released outside Japan, it will be Fire Emblem games.

Quimby

Quimby said:

I am so very totally (to the MAX) considering Metal Slug, as although I own the Wii compilation, it doesnt allow for classic controllers. (why, damn you, why?) and I only own one GC controller, so no co-op. (the Wiimote controller setting are sacrelige).
Now, if it were MS2, then it would be an easy choice. DL immediately!!!

Kenryoku_Maxis

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Tat is SUPERB news. More Imports, and one of my 3 favorite series, Castlevania would be great. But I do need to point out...they do seem to be skipping over Castlevania III for some odd reason. They have CV I, II, IV and now the superior version of V out. Wait...what happened to III?

Don't you DARE touch my masterpiece IGA! I'll KILL you!

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

Watch Dracula X NEVER comes to the States because NoA doesn't think its a great title to bring in. :P

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

GACK! Rondo of Blood!!!? Thought it´d never come, considering the PSP remake. Still too early to be sure of a Europe/US release but...

By the way, Volguard II features terrible music and is one of the worst shooters in the history of mankind. Some ups and downs for Japan ^^

Aldo

Aldo said:

TIME FOR ANOTHER HANABI FESTIVAL NOE!!!!!!
Hopely with Dracula X

Charco

Charco said:

I've heard so many great things about Rondo of Blood over the years. I will download this for sure!

Laxiom

Laxiom said:

my moneys on the SNES Dracula X release, i bet Nintendo will consider that a fair substitute, regardless of what anyone says.

firebrand

firebrand said:

You know, I can actually see them giving us the SNES Dracula X instead.

Quit your whining! You should be thankful you got the SNES version! Nintendo can do no wrong!

JNoodles

JNoodles said:

Dracula X,  Legend of Valkyrie, Metal Slug, Famicom Detective Club Part II, and M.U.S.H.A. are the great ones I could spot.

J_K

J_K said:

Dracula X SNES (in JP Dracula XX) is a sidestory of the PCE game...well sorta sidestory/remake whatever it is really. I own it, great game...really fantastic work was done on it even in its retro style (no 360 whip) and the music is amazing.

Adamant

Adamant said:

"But I do need to point out...they do seem to be skipping over Castlevania III for some odd reason"

The Japanese version of the game utlised a special Konami-developed chip, the VC might have trouble emulating it. Isn't that the reason given for why we haven't gotten the original Star Fox yet?

Charco

Charco said:

I don't think the Wii would have any issues emulating the SuperFX chip to be honest. This can be done on Snes9x and zSnes for years (not that I would know anything about emulators....) ;p

whalleywhat

whalleywhat said:

Just put out Rondo of Blood in NA. I don't care about a translation. I'll pay $15! $20!! Want!!!

NESgamer

NESgamer said:

Oh yes please, bring "Rondo of Blood" to us!. It'll be awesome.
While you're at it, i hope Bloodlines gets a chance too :D.

Herandar

Herandar said:

The game I've wanted ever since the VC was announced... Sky Kid! It may not be everyone's favorite, but my brothers and I would play rather competitive co-op back in the mid-80s, and we still played a few levels on the original cart a few years ago. Instant download for me.

butanebob

butanebob said:

It was just a sound chip, there shouldn't be any problems emulating it.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Ouch. Save for Rondo, this was a pretty lousy week by Japan standards. Still wondering when America's gonna get it.