First Impressions: World of Goo

Posted by Darren Calvert

Our new found friends at 2D Boy were kind enough to provide the team at WiiWare World with a playable demo of the first level of their upcoming game World of Goo. Whilst it’s not 100% confirmed to be a downloadable WiiWare game yet, the guys at 2D Boy are expected to spill the beans soon on if this is the case, or not.

Having only seen a few press screenshots of World of Goo up this point we were intrigued to know more about how the game plays. Putting it simply it is a puzzle game not completely unlike Lemmings. The aim is to guide your ‘Goo balls’ from the starting point to a pipe elsewhere on the level. If you reach the allotted quota of Goo for that level then you can proceed to the next level.

We were playing the PC version with mouse controls but it is easy to see how this would work with the Wiimote. In order to reach the exit pipe you simply move the mouse cursor over a Goo ball which you want to move and drag him in-between two other Goo balls so you can create a tower structure. Before long you will get the hang on building an impressively tall tower of Goo. The tricky part is your Goo tower has a bit of a life of its own as it sways from side to side with realistic feeling inertia. You will have to try and build a well balanced tower or it will flop where you don’t want it to, like the cogs of a Goo squashing machine.

Whilst things start off quite easy before long your Goo building skills will well and truly be put to the test. Fear not however, there are ‘Time Bugs’ in the later levels which enable you to undo any mistakes you make. The levels have lots of variety and before long you’ll be using balloons to help keep your Goo structures from flopping to the ground and building crazy towers reaching high into the skies.

Graphically the style is probably most similar to Loco Roco on the PSP. It’s bright, colourful and cheery but with a darker Tim Burton style overtone. The music fits nicely with the game, before long you’ll be humming away building Goo towers in a world of your own.

So far what we’ve seen is impressive. If indeed World of Goo is released on the WiiWare service we would imagine it will sell like virtual hotcakes. Even if this ends up being a regular disc based Wii game it would still be worth a look. Something this new and original is a rare thing these days!

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

This seems like a good game. At least from the screenshots I've seen, that is. Something fresh is always worth a look. I hope it is as interesting as it appears.

PoisonedV

PoisonedV said:

I am an active member of Experimental Gameplay but I never cared much for Tower of Goo. Hope this is better

Boredom_v2_2

Boredom_v2_2 said:

Can you by any chance put some sort of downloadable link and let us play the demo on our computers as well? Or is it "VC:R exclusive only?"

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@Boredom - If you preorder the full release of the game (PC download, not Wii) for $19.99 from the 2D Boy site you can get the level 1 demo for yourself now.

Sorry, there are no free trials on this one :)

PoisonedV

PoisonedV said:

Yeah, I just checked out the level 1 demo and I would say that this surpassed my admittedly low expectations

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

WOW! You're getting to play dev kit games? This place must really be taking off :D

Valien

Valien said:

I tried the Tower of Goo on EG site and thought it was pretty original. Course I couldn't get my tower higher than 6 meters or so..hehe Hopefully this will be on WiiWare.

Baanber

Baanber said:

It looks fun and creative! I'm not big on puzzlers myself, but it looks entertaining.

PoisonedV

PoisonedV said:

Sure does not play like Lemmings, at least in my opinion. Eets did, but not this. I would describe it as more like that one flash game where you play the guy with multiple legs, but not such direct control

Boredom_v2_2

Boredom_v2_2 said:

I tried the free demo that PoisonedV mentioned and i didn't really like it. Well i'm pretty sure it wasn't what this article was talking about when Dazza said first level. But if the upcoming game plays just like what i tried, i won't get it.

PoisonedV

PoisonedV said:

No, the one I gave a link to was... Well, you could say the inspiration to this game. It uses the play mechanic of goo tower, but in a sort of sprawling, adventure type game
Trust me, it's really fun and it will be worth the wii points

Luigison

Luigison said:

You can get the PC version of Tower of Goo and seven other of Kyle Gabler's Experimental Gameplay Project games at Target with a T-shirt for $12.99 each. I wish I'd have taken a pictures of the shirts while I was in Target because I can't find them with Google or at Target.com.