EU VC Releases - 22nd February - Street Gangs

Posted by Darren Calvert

Two classic NES games join the European Virtual Console library today! First up we have Street Gangs (River City Ransom in the USA). This is a scrolling beat-em-up in the same vein as Double Dragon, but it is also much more! The characters are all in Japanese super deformed manga style for starters. It’s not as shallow as your average beat-em-up either, there are some basic RPG elements on offer here: you have an inventory, can buy and sell items, and you can learn new abilities and skills. The co-operative play is also really good in this game, so it comes highly recommended from the VC:R team.

The other NES game up for grabs today is Adventure Island. This is the first game in the long NES series with everybody's favourite fat man in a grass skirt. The gameplay in this version of Adventure Island is basically identical to Sega’s 1st Wonderboy outing. If throwing axes at snails and skateboarding on clouds sounds like your sort of thing then you will be in for a treat here!

Not a bad week on the whole, Adventure Island was LONG overdue for the EU so it’s good we finally got it! Check out this week’s reviews:

Street Gangs - NES – 500 Points
Adventure Island - NES – 500 Points

Related Games

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

*River City Ransom*! Absolutely brilliant! It was on my wishlist, but I didn't even realise that it was on the horizon. Great stuff, and I'm going to download it right now!

And it's a two game week too. Things are looking up.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

Good week for europe!!! Street Gangs/River City Ransom is such a fun game. Hopefully the USA will get it monday.

Boredom_v2_2

Boredom_v2_2 said:

How does everybody know what games are coming out in Europe and America before VC:R or Nintendo announces the weekly releases? Just wondering

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

We don't know whats coming in Europe until we actually see the games on the new releases of the wii shop. Release information for the following week in America are sent to online journalists on fridays and then get leaked to the rest of the internet. Or something like that.

ChocoDK

ChocoDK said:

Its a good week for Europe and you guys are finally getting two games a week finally and not just one :)

Jogurt_the_Yogurt

Jogurt_the_Yogurt said:

Yes, this is the best week of the year! I am PRAYING that we get River City Ransom in North America on Monday. PRAYING. River City Ransom and Warsong are the two games on the "coming soon" list that I have been waiting patiently for.

EDIT: Since North America already has Adventure Island, I wonder if we'll be getting a one-game week, or if we'll get a surprise from left field.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

I've never played any of these, but River City Ransom looks nice after reading the review. Hopefully the US will get this so I can check it out. I don't think Adventure Island can top any Mario in my mind, so I'll pass on that one (as I have been since it came out in the States).

KhaoShar

KhaoShar said:

There is a saying that goes "no news are good news". In the same spirit I'll just pass on a comment for this week, 'cause I'm not impressed but far from being disappointed.

Keep 'em commin' :)!

v404

v404 said:

This only builds on the likelihood of River City Ransom turning up in the US...

Enjoy it EU!! It's a great game & if you haven't played it before, you're in for a real treat..

It's like the thinking man's double dragon..

Adamant

Adamant said:

"How does Mighty Final Fight compare to Street Gangs? I've played through Mighty Final Fight and enjoyed it."

Street Gangs is roughly 20 billion times better.
So go download.

Hangover

Hangover said:

I think i will take out the snow machine today and maybe tomorrow i'll take a ride to Jukkasjärvi ice hotel.. Many tourists to look at.. (I wonder why they want to come up to little Kiruna and play in the snow) And then make my way to the mountains. Come on... One games that you only play 5 min then you want to die... Street Gangs may be a game to look at but... Nae... Lucky me i live in norrbotten... :)

Oki.. Two game is good news.. But where is the good stuff! :P

witchfinder

witchfinder said:

I've been after a Street Gangs/RCR cart for the NES for a while now but it's not only rare but also pricey! This is a much cheaper option... :D

Rorge

Rorge said:

HELL YEAH! This has to be one of the best games ever released for the NES - I managed to get a cart on ebay for next to nothing a few years back, but it's all back home in Oz at the moment. Can't wait to download this! In what other game can you beat up baddies with garbage bins, take a refreshing break in a sauna, get a free smile from the girl at Merv's burger joint and save your girlfriend all in one day? BARF!!

slangman

slangman said:

Yay two NES games, thinking about getting adventure island at some point anyway.

Baanber

Baanber said:

I'm not really interested in getting either of those games. Even if they come out in North America.

Mendez

Mendez said:

Wow, this makes the first week I completely forgot about VC 0_0
Might get Adventure Island sometime, looks good.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

Since I already have Street Gangs, old pirate-cart classic Adventure Island is my pick this week. Nice week, three games is good, two is better than one...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I wonder when we're getting more NeoGeo games. Its been over a month since our last one.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Ninja Gaiden was released as Ninja Gaiden because Nintendo planned ahead - Ninja Gaiden 3 wasn't released in Europe originally, so if they released Shadow Warriors 1 and 2 and then released Ninja Gaiden 3 as import, there would be confusion.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Good update for Europe this week. I'm a big fan of both those games. Hopefully River City Ransom won't turn out like the Mega Man games and end up a game that the US really wants but doesn't seem to get for some reason.

Roo

Roo said:

Two games I've never played before which makes me happy, but I'm not sure how much I want another platformer, or side-scrolling beat 'em up, with games like Streets of Rage 3, Kirby's Adventure and the sort already downloaded onto my Wii...

Jogurt_the_Yogurt

Jogurt_the_Yogurt said:

@Rapadash6, I doubt that will happen, since there is no "River City Ransom Collection" readily available for PS2 and GC in North America. The existence of such a collection is the "some reason" that keeps Mega Man off the North American VC.

@Roo, RCR isn't just another side-scrolling beat 'em up—it's THE side-scrolling beat 'em up! It's hilarious, and it has fantastic music to boot. I can't imagine anyone who gives this game a blind try being disappointed.

whalleywhat

whalleywhat said:

@Jogurt: "The existence of such a collection is the "some reason" that keeps Mega Man off the North American VC."
Is it? It's out of print. Capcom doesn't make any money off Ebay sales.

Jogurt_the_Yogurt

Jogurt_the_Yogurt said:

@whalleywhat: Maybe it is out of print, I didn't know that. But the shelves at the local EBs are overflowing with those Mega Man collections. If it is indeed out of print, then perhaps we'll see them on the VC eventually, but I'd bet the farm on the fact that those collections are the cause for at least some delay. All I'm saying is there was at least some rationale for them not rushing Mega Man to North America after Europe got it. There is no such rationale for River City Ransom.

Hangover

Hangover said:

Street Gangs Rocks! I have played it for 3 hours and its get Better and better.. I collect money and eat Al the time and now i found a sauna where i can get some energy.. =P I recommend it!! And if you are two players... Don't throw a garbage can on your comrade.. Its Hurts.. :)

Adamant

Adamant said:

"Releasing River City Ransom under the Street Gangs name is a mistake if you ask me. I thought Nintendo would be smarter than that. Remember Ninja Gaiden is released as Ninja Gaiden and not Shadow Warriors for the reason of people knowing what Ninja Gaiden is..."

Yes, people know what Ninja Gaiden is because of the more recent Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox. River City Ransom has never been released under anything but the Street Gangs name in Europe, so Europeans know what Street Gangs is, but not what RCR is. Simple as that. So where's the mistake?

Estrada

Estrada said:

I realize I'm echoing a lot of previous statements here, but River City Ransom/Street Gangs is an awesome game...enjoy it EU!

que

que said:

Street Gangs. Ah, Those golden memories... I've been waiting for this so long... :')

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@Adamant. In this internet era River City Ransom may well have become a cult classic and so would be buyers would know it by that name. I don't the nostalga sales are really alot. Either way putting both titles up As in Street Gangs (aka River City Ransom) [or the other way round] wouldn't have gone amiss. Then again it is possible the VC buyer is meant to know all the region variant names anyway :P

Its kind of like these days when people talk about emulating Contra I go, Euorpe never got Contra we got Probotector and they look at you with a blank stare.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

i think all we europeans know that probotector is more commonly known as contra...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

MONDAY'S RELEASES

Kirby 64™: The Crystal Shards: (Nintendo 64®, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Kirby’s first 3-D adventure is also his Nintendo 64 debut, and it finds the always-versatile hero battling a new enemy called Dark Matter. Dark Matter is after a distant land’s powerful crystal, but a young fairy named Ribbon attempts to save it by escaping with the gem to Dream Land. Now the crystal has been broken, and it’s scattered around the world. Take control of Kirby and help him journey across six worlds, battling a wide variety of enemies and challenging bosses, as he tries to collect all 100 pieces of the shattered crystal. Along the way, you’ll use Kirby’s trademark copying ability to use enemies’ strengths against them. Not only that, but try combining any two abilities to create a brand-new one that is usually stronger than the original. Throw in three exciting multiplayer minigames, and you’ve got a package of which even King Dedede would be proud. Fans of Kirby and action games with bright, colorful graphics should vacuum this one up.

Psychosis: (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone – Mild Fantasy Violence, 600 Wii Points): This is a side-scrolling shooter played in a world created from the mind of a twisted demon. Your soul has suddenly wandered into that evil world that exists in every person’s heart. The only way out is to blast your way past the grotesque creatures that block your path in five “causes” (stages). You must face the dangers of this psychedelic world by making full use of three shot types and the satellite option. With power-ups, you can change your shots to a wide-coverage beam, a satellite-generated laser and more. Each shot type can be powered up to three levels. You can also block enemy fire by rotating the satellites to a desired position. How you use these features will be the key to successfully escaping this strange and surreal world.

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

Lol, actually joined this forum to speak out that RCR got a GBA release which is worlds better (save no multiplayer option) but looks like it was already mentioned in the review.

It's sad that game didn't make it to Europe, but if I had to take a guess it'd be because it sold so poorly in the US. Sad, too, because it has a substantial amount of improvements to it - like getting flunkies and an improved & extended moveset.

@Starwolf - the NES Contra was called Gryzor in the UK, wasn't it? It also didn't have the over-the-top name changes like the US did (hay guys, this dude Bill? He's MAD DOG NAO AWESUM) If I recall, it wasn't called Probotector until some of the later iterations, and then was later renamed to Contra for the PS2 outings.

But anywho, anyone knows who currently holds the license for RCR/SG? I know Atlus published the GBA version, but I believe Technos still owns the rights to it - assuming they still exist. It'd be nice to see this game get a console update as opposed to it being released to VC and then never heard from again.

Edit - Also, this is my first post. HI EVERYBODY!

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

YAY Kirby 64! Omg, instant download.

Psychosis is meh. I don't understand why, out of all the amazing shmups the TG16 had, they had to add this one. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the only thing noteworthy about it was that it had a "tv snow" screen transition. I'm still waiting for my Aero Blasters.

MaxK

MaxK said:

Big=Sexy: I'm sorry to say that Technos went out of business back in 1995. Luckily, former employes of Technos formed another company, Million Corp, and purchased the former intellectual properties of their old one, so they pretty much own the rights. These days they mostly make hand held games, including Double Dragon Advance and River City Ransom EX on the GBA.

The_Indigo_Effect

The_Indigo_Effect said:

Between Street Gangs and River City Ransom, I think this is one instance in which America received the the better of the two titles.

Adamant

Adamant said:

"@Adamant. In this internet era River City Ransom may well have become a cult classic and so would be buyers would know it by that name."

Maybe so, but really, very few Europeans who don't know Street Gangs and RCR are the same know RCR by anything other than the name. Unless they downloaded the rom, that is, but eh - Europeans who don't know that Street Gangs = RCR don't strike me as willing to download "RCR" on the VC either.

"@Starwolf - the NES Contra was called Gryzor in the UK, wasn't it?"

Nope. It was always Probotector.

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

Man. I know I heard of Contra being called Gryzor somewhere. Looks like I've got some research to do.

I always thought it was really weird for Konami to go out of their way to change the sprites of the player characters completely just for Contra/Probotector, too. I mean, it was common to see that in the '80s, but Konami kept it up during the 16bit era - Alien Wars, Hard Corps and so on. What compelled them to do that, I wonder? At any rate, at least they had the common sense to know that making brand new 3d models for the PS2 version would just be bad for everyone involved.

It saddens me to hear that Technos died, but at least the rights to their games was bought by people who previously worked at Technos. Kinda similar to the whole SNK deal, right? I mean, with less crappy pachinko games.

Viral

Viral said:

You know what game I'm looking forward to? Resident Evil 2 for N64 downloadable. lmfao

starlac

starlac said:

As I’m a fan of brawler genre games I am definitely going to get myself a copy of Street Gangs (or whatever you want to call it :P ).

@Big=Sexy

Well, it's known that Germany has very strict laws concerning blood and violence in videogames (google germany and videogames), especially in regards to its "Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Schriften" index. This has meant that some games have suffered changes in the past to allow them to follow these laws and not to end up being banned there, unfortunately in the case of some past games – contra – this modified version is also what the rest of Europe gets (regardless of the fact that our - the rest of Europe - laws are less strict).

Note that this is different and separate from Nintendo’s own censorship of certain games in order to promote their "family friendly" image back in the Eighties and early Nineties.

Adamant

Adamant said:

"But anywho, anyone knows who currently holds the license for RCR/SG?"

Millions Corporation owns all the Technos licenses. They released a bunch of Kunio compilations for the GBA a couple years ago.

Speaking of which, with all the complaints about games being changed for Europe, how come I'm not seeing a single complaint about how the awesomely designed Kunio got changed into that lame, generic Alex guy?
"This is the way I remember the game from my childhood, so it's the way it should be. PS: Poor Europeans, why did they get those silly Probotector robots instead of the cool Rambo guys from Contra?"

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

... I actually prefer the Probotectors. I wanna be a cool robot!

Honestly, I use that sprite more than any other in Contra 4. I was just curious, especially because I've heard of games being delayed for things as minor as a sprite change. I have to agree, I would prefer a character like Kunio rather than Alex. Hell, I'm bothered by stuff like the fact that Lezard's purpley pentagram was changed in the PS1 US version of Valkyrie Profile, and then changed back for the PSP version.

-K-

-K- said:

Wow...RCR is one of my most wanted.

Come to NA soon please