Defend Your Castle Dated - Screens Also Released

Posted by Damien McFerran

X-Gen Studios has revealed that Defend Your Castle will launch alongside the North American WiiWare service on 12th May 2008. The company has already launched a dedicated page for the game and some interesting looking screenshots.

The graphical style is interesting indeed, with a cool 'scrapbook' effect. We expressed our concerns about this game when it was announced not long ago, but these updates have restored our faith a little. This could be a lot of fun.

The basic aim of the game is to keep your fortress safe from the attacking hordes by using a range of weapons, including the ability to grab the onrushing foes and fling them up in the air.

The all-important details are as follows:

• 4 Player jump-in cooperative gameplay - Defend your Castle with up to 3 pals!
  • Compete with your friends for kingship - Get crowned for dominating other players and earn the right to manage the Kingdom!
  • Completely new visuals and animation
  • Enhanced physics & particle effects
  • Repel even faster and more massive waves of invaders
  • Not a port of the original - Defend Your Castle has been re-created from the ground up to utilize the unique capabilities of the Nintendo Wii™ and Wii Remote™
  • Unlimited levels - Continue to grow the strength of your Kingdom indefinitely
  • Play on your big screen TV, from your couch!
  • All this and more for only 500 Wii Points™

Shortay

Shortay said:

500 ponts isn't too bad, I may get it. It's just that it can be found online so easily...

Dark_Jinjo

Dark_Jinjo said:

Allright, I was one who expressed concern when they announced this title for WiiWare, but I have to say that I really appreciate that they chose a unique art direction and it looks like they are putting a lot of work into it. I personally might not purchase it just because I have played the flash game to death but I would reccommend it to others who haven't experienced it yet; especially with the 4 player co-op in there.

Manicfatty

Manicfatty said:

That's a pretty bold graphical overhaul! Really interesting, and fresh. Hope it plays as good as it looks.

TheRealNaveed

TheRealNaveed said:

Looks like a lot of fun, actually! Something casual to play when you have a friend over. Looks pretty funny.

Kenryoku_Maxis

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

I already thought this was a good idea before and that it would sell well with a few minor tweaks. Direct ports of arcade and flash games sell on XBL that are even more unknown that this game. With the popularity of Wii and the fact that they’re jumping on from day 1, they're just exceeding expectations and doing everything right. The great price and upgrade to the gameplay and graphics are just extra ploys that will draw in those who haven’t ever tried the game or have played it but didn’t want to pay to own it. I'll be there to spend my 5 bucks on the first day.

Spore

Spore said:

Play on your big screen TV, from your couch!

That's a feature now? Anyway, I enjoyed looking at the funny style of the game and it looks like they added quite a bit from the free online original. I still don't know if it merits a purchase though.

Herandar

Herandar said:

Multiplayer is the only thing that might make this worth purchasing. I gave it a spin on the PC the other day, and the "unique" visual style does nothing to help the rather basic gameplay. It bothers me that they mispelled "helth" though.

west72

west72 said:

Looks good and nice price, but i wonder how big it will be to download. I have no space left on my Wii and hate having to transfer stuff to my SD card. I hope Nintendo give us a nice suprise when WiiWare comes out.

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

Is there an option to have health spelled correctly? I'm sure if I bought that game I would be really annoyed every time I would look at it. (yeah, I know that's a bit obsessive...)

MasterMario

MasterMario said:

I don't know if it's worth downloading. I guess that I will have to see the review when this game comes out.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Health being spelt wrong goes with elementary school scrapbook style they are aiming for I feel.

Too much of a maybe for now but I approve of the art direction. Wonder if they will they sort of the flaws with the flash version, its possible for it to become a case of watching the castle defend itself...

Kenryoku_Maxis

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

@Starwolf_UK

I doubt it'll be remade to be easier and become a case of just watching the castle defend itself. In the original game, as some higher levels come around, it would quickly get to a point that you couldn't keep up with all the craziness that was going on. Plus, they've said the key phrase 'Repel even faster and more massive waves of invaders', making me think the gameplay is faster paced than the original game.

Plus they're adding on up to 4 player support and I hate to say it, but sometimes when games do that, they also up the difficulty forcing you to play with multiple people to be able to get to later levels. Especially with the way they describe it being 'jump-in coop play' meaning the other players can jump in to help you when you are starting to lose. Maybe even at like Level 3 or 5 or 8.

It may be a simple case of the original Flash game is going to be 'the original' one player version and this one is geared to be a co-op version, but also can be played single player. But only to a certain extent... Certainly fits with what Nintendo wants the Wii to be doing…

Roo

Roo said:

Sure, it looks good, but can you eat virtual pies?!? No. So whats the point?

Objection

Objection said:

Loooks good, they actually put some good effort into this version. With 4 player and new graphics, modes, enemies, all i require is TO KEEP THE BLOOD! :)

whalleywhat

whalleywhat said:

Online play and leader boards. So all the $5 games are gonna pull of what the retail "AAA"s can't. Go WiiWare.

DaVeMaN99

DaVeMaN99 said:

Who said Online Play and Leader Boards? Anyways, looks like a good game, i usually love these kinds of games, but i can find it on internet for free. 500 points seems nice, but it would of been nicer if it does have online co-op and leaderboards. Graphics are very nice also though.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

Awesome. I liked the original, but this looks a lot better! I think it's definitely worth 500 pts.

wowtriumph

wowtriumph said:

no way i wont spend the points for it i play it for free online all the time and it doesn't look like a preschooler made it. more realistic and i like the multi player idea then yes i would get it