Defend Your Castle Coming to WiiWare

Posted by Damien McFerran

XGen Studios has announced that its successful Flash-based game Defend Your Castle is WiiWare-bound and will launch alongside the new service in May (North America) at a cost of 500 Wii points.

As the title suggests, the game involves you defending your castle against hordes of attackers. You can do this by grabbing them and flinging them skywards - something that was fun to do with a mouse input but should be even better when using the Wiimote. You can also improve the strength of your fortress and fire projectiles at the oncoming enemies. XGen has confirmed that the WiiWare version will feature better graphics and new abilities.

Skye Boyes, president, XGen Studios, had this to say about the news:

We’re thrilled to announce that the classic game play enjoyed by Millions is coming to your living room in the form of a new title with compelling additions.

We’re taking advantage of the creative freedom afforded by WiiWare to bring fans a captivating co-op game, with great competitive elements and irresistibly charming art direction.

Jordan Dubuc, director of operations for XGen Studios, added:

We can’t wait to show fans what we’re building. The jump-in, jump-out casual style appeals to a broad audience for both quick and extended play sessions.

EddtheMac

EddtheMac said:

I don't really like flash games, but Desktop Tower Defense and Defend Your Castle are exceptions. I'd gladly plop down $5 for a "beefed-up" Wii version.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

If they can embellish the original concept with more content and features then this will be worth 500 points. You can't deny that the idea of grabbing enemies using the wiimote and throwing them up in the air sounds like fun. A few more abilities and challenges should ensure that this turns out to be a decent WiiWare title. Also, the promise of multiplayer modes should excite anyone with a pulse, too.

Mendez

Mendez said:

I'm a bit of a fan of Demonic Defence and Storm the House, so no doubt I'll be getting this!
Hopefully this turns out to be good!

TBoneTony

TBoneTony said:

Cool a Flash based game for Wii Ware

I have a Flash Based game that I plan on getting onto Wii Ware called Boa-Khan

you can find it on my Deviant Art file

Although this is only just a test model that I did for my TAFE college class back in 2006 when I knew there was a possibility of making Flash Games for the Wii

Now I need to know the capabilities and the limitations so I can fit this game in with less problems and more updated version.

Hope you like my idea and I hope to develop this sometime in 2009 or so when I get to know more about the Wii Ware capabilities and what I might have to go though to bring this onto Wii Ware

TBoneTony

TBoneTony

TBoneTony said:

Although I need to play this game featured on here first to test out what I would need to do, that is why I have been waiting for other more experienced people to make their games before I try to make mine,

Also do I have to attract anything like go to Nintendo and try to ask them to put my game onto Wii Ware????

I was just hoping some someone to answer me this question

and also if I can make a Flash based game for the Wii Ware, what sort of software do I need and what version of Flash do I need to make it compatible for the Wii Ware????

Fwow13

Fwow13 said:

I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay to play this game on the Wii, even if the game is improved. I've already been playing the online flash version of the game on my Wii when I want to kill some time, and I'm content with that.

Dark_Jinjo

Dark_Jinjo said:

I used to play this at work every day; totally loved it. As you progress you get magic attacks and archers which let you tear the crap out of the invaders. You can check it out now at http://www.addictinggames.com if you are interested. They certainly have a lot of work to make the graphics up to par though. And again, if a developer can plan on selling Eternity's Child for 500 Wii points then who can possibly believe this game is worth that much. I would reccommend checking out the free flash version first and only if you have a ton of extra Wii points and nowhere to spend them should you pay for this. That being said, if they overhaul the graphics and add a little more depth I might consider giving it a try.

Dark_Jinjo

Dark_Jinjo said:

@TBoneTony: You need to pony up the cash for a Wii development kit in order to put anything on Wii or WiiWare. The dev kit will provide you with the information you need to get your game started and the specs necessary. In order to do that you need to contact NOA directly and fill out some forms that prove you are a legitimate developer. They need you to have a valid business address and references from others in the industry to get approved. It's not as difficult as it sounds though. Just call Nintendo and someone should be able to help you get started. On any major Wii forums you should be able to get advice on how to get references from people in the industry. I bet the guys here at vc-reviews have some contacts if you showed them some of your work and they liked it. Here's hoping it works out for you.

superduper

superduper said:

i knew it! we'll be getting thousands of microgames for the wiiware! instead of quality we'll be getting quantity!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

you don't have to buy the poor quality wiiware games. express your distaste by keeping your wallet closed.

Kenryoku_Maxis

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

"More support for WiiWare, then - but the game will have to be seriously improved if XGen expect gamers to pay 500 Wii points for something that is available on the internet for free."

Actually, its the fact that it'll be a updated version of a game people played countless times to just pass the time while WoW or RO or their favorite CS server was down that will make them go 'oh, I want to try that.' Then they'll pay the 5 bucks to get it and play it, even if only for 10 minutes just like before.

And just like with anything on this site, you question quantity over quality? Look at the majority of the games on Virtual Console. And still some of the 'less than stellar' titles sell. Why? Because not every game can be Ocarina of Time, Paper Mario, Harvest Moon, Gradius, etc.

Tellyn

Tellyn said:

XGen haven't announced it themselves, it was in NGamer and on N-Europe. :)

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

Yes! I love this game. A version of Pillage the Village would be great, but this will be good too!

Objection

Objection said:

What's needed: better graphics, multiplayer, more powers, save points. KEEP THE BLOOD. Don't kid it down just cause its Wii. I know saying that may make people think I'm anti-Nintendo, but you gotta admit that it could happen.

Serpent

Serpent said:

this was a good flash game.
Hopefully they update it enough to make it worth 500 wii points.