Smash Bros. Brawl to include VC Demos!

Posted by Damien McFerran

As announced on the Smash Bros. DOJO website, Nintendo is including several Virtual Console demos with the upcoming (and eagerly awaited) Smash Bros. Brawl!

The idea is that gamers can have the chance to familiarize themselves with the past exploits of the many famous Brawl fighters. So you can kick Koopa ass with Mario, hack and slash with Link or take on the Gods with Kid Icarus.

Titles confirmed so far are:

• Ice Climber
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby’s Adventure
  • Super Metroid
  • StarFox 64

Other games are thought to be included, but they remain a mystery for now.

This is a fantastic idea and we hope to see more of the same in future Wii titles…but will we ever be given ‘trial’ downloads on the Virtual Console itself? Here’s hoping this is just Nintendo testing the water…

Nadroc516

Nadroc516 said:

very nice, but.

i already have 5/7 of those games on VC.

lol i hope they pull out a surprise or something

Peksu

Peksu said:

Awesome, I just hope they won't cut any trials from American or European release. Although that may very well happen.
And Lordbowser, according to Starmen.net the only thing to do for Earthbound's US release is to... I don't exactly remember, but there is not much left. I don't know where those guys get their information, but so far they've proven to be right.

Boredom_v2_2

Boredom_v2_2 said:

Holy Crap My Wish came true! The only thing is i kinda imagined it in an opposite direction. I was thinking the Wii Shop Channel would have a Smash Bros. Brawl downloadable demo in the Wiiware section. But this is awesome too! Thankyou Nintendo!

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

And I own them all.

Hopefully JaJaMaru Kun will be one. And what's the bets then, that Metal Gear will be one, and that they'll launch the MSX VC on SSBB's launch?

Pua

Pua said:

They should put these trial versions on the Wii Shop Channel, not in the game.

Anyway, a nice extra.

N64_Gamer

N64_Gamer said:

I thought it was a demo of the actual Brawl game itself, but this seems awesome as well.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Hmm, Japan's site shows Earthbound but not the US and European sites? Very suspicious. I mean there is no reason not to give everyone this game, especially when it's already been released in those regions. Hopefully it doesn't mean anything more than it will just be released later than the Japanese version but we'll have to wait and see...

Storyteller

Storyteller said:

I saw another site that claims Mother 2 and Fire Emblem will both be on the demo list as well. I would even imagine the original Metal Gear and Sonic the Hedgehog games will be among the full list of demos.

Tempest

Tempest said:

Nice touch, but the comment in the article about the demos being downloadable on your Wii is one that Nintendo should seriously be thinking about, it would help a lot of people to decide whether or not to download the more lesser known games out there...

Bensei

Bensei said:

I hope they'll include Mother and FE in Europe too for freaks like me.

duo710

duo710 said:

I doubt FE will come out here but I hope they dont screw us with earthbound
I've been waiting for months!

donx998

donx998 said:

i like the idea but what they should release is a smash bros brawl demo like the did at the game con

Bensei

Bensei said:

@duo710: Why shouldn't FE be as a demo in Brawl outside of Japan too? Okay, you wouldn't understand much, but hey, a FE champ can play it even without looking a the screen :uglygrin:
And I would really be disappointed if we get shortened content again, bad enough that Europe didn't get that Tamagon trophy although they had the game, just because America removed it!

JNoodles

JNoodles said:

Come on Fire Emblem: Anokoku Ryu to Hikari no Tsurugi, come to America, Europe, and Australia to! ...I need it! For those who don't know, my favorite Nintendo series (by far) is Fire Emblem.

Will

Will said:

Now this is an interesting development, seems SSBB is the game that just keeps on giving!

That_One_Guy

That_One_Guy said:

I suppose this is nice first step, however, this is really the kind of thing that should be done with the shop channel. I mean, look at how XBLA does things as example of what I am talking about.

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

ChinSpin.

A. It's VC news.

B. Not everyone checks smashbros.com.

I can proudly say that I've never been there.

No interest in having SSBB spoiled for me anymore than it has been. 1 a day updates suck!

Jogurt_the_Yogurt

Jogurt_the_Yogurt said:

This isn't really big news. The update on the smash bros site says most of the demos will be so short/quick that you won't even know you were playing them. I can think of better things to do than play 30 seconds of Ice Climber.

It would be cool if each copy of SSBB let you unlock one of those original games for download from the VC. You could play the demos, choose from a menu in-game, and then play the whole game. Greedy me!

The_shoemaker

The_shoemaker said:

I wish I was like you Demon I try so hard not too. But when big things happen I check the site, then end up checking the rest of the updates and all of my hard work of not looking at the site gets wasted. Now it's not gonna be as fun. The whole updates thing is just stupid, yeah it gets everyone exicted for these cool features, but by the time it comes out, you'll know everything about the game. But some things should be told, wi-fi, stickers, and some little things. They should have stoped the updates in December. ANYWAYS yeah this feature is cool, I'm surprised the shop channel doesn't have this.

ODOGG618

ODOGG618 said:

Oh boy, can I really have a DEMO of a bunch of 8 bit games that I don't want to buy? How bout just giving us the games for the $50 we pay? They're obsolete. If you want them, you already own them. Instead of advertising space, why don't you just package mine with an additional character, something people actually WANT.

donx998

donx998 said:

oh snap this got released in japan yesterday and from now on the updates will be about hidden characters and stages go ahead and look you self smashbros.com

donx998

donx998 said:

oh double snap it tells you how to unlock them thank you im tiered of those fake cheats people post i wont tell the hidden character to spiol it if you want to know just go there