Ex-Naughty Dogs Join WiiWare Stable

Posted by Damien McFerran

Nintendo’s incoming WiiWare service has gained yet another supporter in the form of Steel Penny Games, a software house formed by two ex-Naughty Dog employees. If that name doesn’t ring a bell for you, Naughty Dog is the company that brought us the first few Crash Bandicoot games (you know, the ones that were actually good) and, more recently, the PS3-savior Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune.

Before you get too excited it’s worth noting that the two employees in question - Jason Hughes and Andrew Gilmour – assumed the roles of senior graphics tools engineer and senior background artist respectively.

In a press release posted on the official Steel Penny website, Hughes had this to say about the announcement:

I am impressed with the egalitarian approach Nintendo has taken toward WiiWare developers. It allows the risk burden to shift back onto the creative developers.

He also commented that the new service was:

…the modern equivalent of the garage method for an independent to gain a foothold in the industry--a unique opportunity WiiWare presents that we appreciate.

The company is lining up new IP in the shape of Bruiser & Scratch.

yamiiguy

yamiiguy said:

Bruiser & Scratch sounds like a great game and one that could push Wii Ware to the masses.

KhaoShar

KhaoShar said:

Says here(quote): "Steel Penny Games is certified for Xbox Live Arcade and WiiWare development. We are currently seeking a publishing partner for Bruiser & Scratch or one of our many other innovative designs."

Doesn't sound too sure for me, actually. Still, i just love furries, so this alone is a good reason to keep my eyes on this. Actually though, I think this Scratch lady should go a little easyer on the eye-liner ;)

Boredom_v2_2

Boredom_v2_2 said:

The game looks amazing but it's website isn't very interesting and colorful to look at. I might consider getting the game!

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

The website makes the game look interesting; although I wanted to throw a Wii Remote at my screen when I read that another Wii game was focused on the casual market. No More Heroes saved a little of this grace, and I can't wait to get it. Anyway, it's nice to see some more WiiWare support, but I'm still excited about Xgen's license. It would be a fantastic, yet unrealistic dream if Xgen produced Stick RPG 2 for WiiWare. I guess that's just wishful thinking...

BJ1

BJ1 said:

God, I wish Crash Bandicoot games were on the virtual console. I also object to the "ones that were actually good" statement. Twinsanity and Titans were fun.