Wii And DS Dominate In Japan
Posted by Damien McFerran
Sony and Microsoft struggle to get a look in
Sony’s Gran Turismo 5 Prologue may have entered the Japanese sales charts in the top 5 but a cursory glace at the rest of the chart should make depressing reading for anyone not affiliated with Nintendo.
The Wii and DS continue to dominate the Japanese market in a way that hasn’t been seen since the days of the Famicom and Gameboy.
Here's the lowdown from GamesIndustry.biz:
Sony's Gran Turismo 5 Prologue has made its debut in the Japanese charts at number three, selling 116,000 copies according to data from Media Create.
However, it's the only PlayStation 3 title in the top twenty, with Nintendo Wii and DS product clogging up the charts for the week ended December 16.
Mario Party DS is at number one with 180,000 sales over the seven day period, while Wii Fit is at two with 124,000 units sold, taking it past half a million sales since release.
The Japanese top twenty follows:
- Mario Party DS (DS)
- Wii Fit (Wii)
- Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3)
- Prof. Layton and Pandora's Box (DS)
- Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
- Dragon Quest IV (DS)
- Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii)
- Wi Sports (Wii)
- Wii Play (Wii)
- Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon: The Labyrinth of Forgotten Time (Wii)
- World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (PS2)
- Mario Party 8 (Wii)
- Powerful Pro-kun Pocket 10 (DS)
- Kirarin Revolution (DS)
- Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Time Expedition Party (DS)
- Mario Kart DS (DS)
- Taiko Drum Master (DS)
- Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Shadow Expedition Party (DS)
- Hot Shots Golf Portable 2 (PSP)
- SD Gundam G Generation Spirits (PS2)
Nice to see that Wii Fit is doing the business, but It's even more amazing to see some older Wii and DS titles in there, such as Mario Kart and Wii Sports for example.