Rare Confirms Banjo possibility for the Virtual Console

Posted by Darren Calvert

interesting news for those who fear that some of the jewels in the N64 crown may never get released on the VC. Our friends at RareWare have now stated "it's ultimately Nintendo's decision what gets released" on their own official website.It would appear..

It would appear from this statement that Nintendo does indeed own the publishing rights to the Rare games published on the Nintendo 64 so we might eventually start to see Banjo and gang on the VC.

In direct response to a question about Banjo Kazooie coming to the VC the reply was given "Banjo team: Maybe, but not up to us". In addition to this in an example of l33t spk from people who really should know better Rare said: "Beyond the DKC games we don't have anything in the pipeline at the moment, but that doesn't mean it won't happen in future. OMG CORPERATE ANSER#!1".

Perhaps for the first time we now have a glimmer of hope that the Banjo games and ultimately maybe all the classic Rare games may one day be available for download in the Wii Shop. Let's hope so anyway!

Source: http://rareware.co.uk/extras/scribes/30aug07/index.html

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

OMFG. This is really great news. Totally looking forward to Blast Corps and Goldeneye, even though I still have 'em here. ^^

-Regii

-Regii said:

This news is really friggin awesome =)))
Never could play that masterpiece and definitely have to overtake that. Hopefully, really hopefully, this game comes out (sooner than later)

BJ1

BJ1 said:

Yes! YES! Now I can finally get a chance to play Battletoads and Banjo-Kazooie.

hokuto_no_rob

hokuto_no_rob said:

Banjo is fantastic, better than Mario 64 imo. Banjo 2 would be nice too, never got to play it as it retailed at £60 ($120) in the UK.

BJ1

BJ1 said:

Listen up, everybody! We have to let Nintendo know that we want Banjo and other games on the VC.

yamiiguy

yamiiguy said:

I believe they were meaning "it's ultimately Nintendo's decision what gets released (on the VC)" and "Banjo team: Maybe, but not up to us (It's up to Microsoft)"

Shortay

Shortay said:

Good news, and even though I've recently got this on my 2nd hand N64 again I haven't got far in it so I'll definitely get it IF it comes

Jazzem

Jazzem said:

I'd be over the moon when/if this does happen. At one point I preferred it to Mario 64, heh. Not the case any more, but still an enjoyable classic. Who could forget Kazooie's delightful cynicism? =D

__Djack

Djack said:

The Banjo games weren't bad but I never finished one or two so I really want to try and do that! If Goldeneye comes out that would be fantastic! Last, if Donkey Kong Country 64 comes out I'll be like thats a game full of shortcomings with a really hard last boss ....haha

Cooldued59

Cooldued59 said:

Well that's great to hear that their is a chance, A CHANCE of Banjo Kazooie coming out for th VC. But don't forget other games like: 007 Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Diddy Kong Racing that were made by Rare for these games were also gems!

N64_Gamer

N64_Gamer said:

Banjo kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Diddy Kong Racing, etc.

Please, please! These games are probably the best games to have ever been released on the N64. We need them!

sega_nerd

sega_nerd said:

oh man this is the best news i've seen in a long time. there is hope for all of us to get all these games by rare. please nintendo! give us what we want and we'll be very happy.

__Parasan

Parasan said:

Oh wow... Lets pray that Conkers Bad Fur Day comes out, it would pwn being able to experience that multiplayer over the internet XD! N64 version's better then the X-Brick version for sure >_>, & the maps are some of the best created.
Come on Nintendo, borrow Rares soulful games one more time, if we don't show newbies who haven't played Rare games, the gaming world won't be the same ;_;.....

Parasan.

__RMFD

RMFD said:

Dont forget the best of all Rare fighting games ... Killer Instinct!
Ulllltraaa Cooombo!

PhoenixUltima

PhoenixUltima said:

Goldeneye won't happen, unless Nintendo gets permission from MGM (and possibly also EA, I think they still have the rights to make Bond video games). And since there's a 360-compatible Xbox version of Conker, that's not likely either. Looks like everything else is fair game, though. Color me surprised.

SKTTR

9. Jet Force Gemini
10. Diddy Kong Racing
11. Mickey's Speedway USA

Get Force Gemini!!!! ;)

__Alex

Alex said:

EA sold the rights to James bond software to Activision. I believe the issue is fairly resolved still. Reggie should take a deep breath and exhale us a VC Goldeneye without any issue.

Draygone

Draygone said:

Most exciting news all week! Though I'm a country which Sunday is the first day of the week, but still, pretty awesome. I already own Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Blast Corps. But I never played Goldeneye on account I wasn't interested in FPSs at the time, so I'm definately hopeful for that.

It'd also be nice if the Stop 'n Swap feature on B-K and B-T made a comeback in some fashion, but that I am not as hopeful for.

alexanderpas

alexanderpas said:

Goldeneye using wiimote aiming + nunchuck movement + improved graphics = red steel without swords

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

"...it's ultimately Nintendo's decision what gets released..."

It doesn't necessarily mean that Nintendo have the rights, but perhaps that Microsoft are willing to release the rights for a certain price, and Nintendo are left to decide whether they'll pay that price.

This is hopeful news, but I'm not holding my breath.

Serpent

Serpent said:

Yes!! This is great news.

I hope they release killer instinct, The VC needs more fighting games.

mamac

mamac said:

it wud be great to play download banjo and play the classsics agen on the wii

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

I don't deny that Banjo is a great game, but to call it a "classic" just makes me feel old! :P

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

Banjo for the VC would be a nice addition. I personally prefer Conker to Banjo, but BK is a solid platformer and strong enough to hold its own as far as gaming goes.

A confessions to make...Upon reading the article, the first game I thought of was GoldenEye. However, with the rights having changed hands twice since Rare's game came out, Bond's VC debut remains to be seen. I agree with some of the other folks who commented that Nintendo would probably have to pay MGM/UA extra money to secure the Bond rights (much like they had to pay Mirage Studios for the rights to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, consequently resulting in an additional 100 Points added to the NES game's price, so if GoldenEye DOES make it to the VC, don't be surprised if they ask for a little extra).

BJ1

BJ1 said:

We know DK64 will be there because Nintendo owns the rights to the franchise, Michael.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

i love banjo. action puzzle platformer quiz collectables bosses ANYWHERE GAMEPLAY (exactly like in super mario 64, almost do anything you want in almost any order you want) aaaannd you can fly ^.^

TBoneTony

TBoneTony said:

Yay!!!!!!

My personal fav RARE game is Jet Force Gemini and I really hope that the people who missed this galactic 3rd Person Shooter on the N64 that this is every bit as enjoyable as Goldeneye or even Perfect Dark,

It is the shooter for those who don't like the 1st person perspective like I am with the old traditional controller.

sega_nerd

sega_nerd said:

i hope nintendo don't screw this up cause if i don't see conker's bad fur day on there just because of nintendo keeping their family friendly image intact then i'll be one very angry nintendo hater >_

Boredom_v2_2

Boredom_v2_2 said:

Oh they better have Banjo Kazooie, Tooie, and DK64! Those are like my all time favorite games (i think i said that already in another VCA article but who cares) All three games had A LOT! Mostly a lot of things to easily collect and basically love about the game!
On a side note, i heard rumors Rare is making a Viva Pinata game for Wii. So if they make that, there's a better chance for Rare to still have a little Nintendo in their heart (and also give us what we want)!

carson

carson said:

I really wish Banjo Kazooie would be added to the VC. but in the meantime im going to buy it on the XBL arcade

juiceman77

juiceman77 said:

I wonder if they'll release games made by Rare for the NES too?
Lately I'm having a craving for Battletoads.
And Conker was a really fun game for the N64, wish I could play it again!