Wii Menu and Shopping Channel Updated

Posted by Darren Calvert

We're a bit late to the party as you may have already seen the blinking blue light from your Wii beckoning you to check your messages by now. There is a nice surprise today as the Wii firmware has an update due which when applied will add some nice few features to the shopping channel to help you buy your Virtual Console games.

These are the changes to the shopping channel:

• The main page of the shopping channel now offers recommended games
  • There are several announcement messages and the Wii points item at the bottom of the screen
  • You can now filter by publisher, system, genre to help with selecting which Virtual Console game you want. Also you can do a free text search and check out the most popular downloads (presumably from the current week - not all time!)

There are also a few changes here to the main Wii menu such as the addition of a ugly LCD style clock and news/weather channels show details within the icon to save you clicking into them.

There's a few other bits and pieces as detailed on Vooks. Why not check it out?

Storm101

Storm101 said:

You forgot the mysterious "???" channel... I wish Nintendo would be more open about this stuff, and not just throw out updates with no explanation. Oh well.

Ron_Prower

Ron_Prower said:

I'm not sure, I didn't see anything with a "???" channel. Where exactly are you seeing something like that?

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

The best things about the new firmware update for Wii:

1. The Wii Shop Channel is much better! One big improvement with all these new functions. Great update!

2. Adress book can be edited! Yeah, that was really needed. Finally I can put all my Wii friends to the places I want them. This makes adding new Wii friends fun again!

3. New digital clock is a nice feature I will not miss anymore. Cool!

4. News/Weather Channel icon details are not quite that necessary but a little nice thing indeed. I didn't know that you could turn the earth while holding A and turning the Wiimote. Is this a new feature? Nice.

PS: What's that "??? channel" all about?

__AsparagusTrevor

AsparagusTrevor said:

I've heard on other forums you can use a USB keyboard now, is this true? I'm at work at the moment so I can't test it myself.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Worst thing about this new firmware. Freeloader no longer works :( Looks like one will need a gamecube to play imported Gamecube games.

Still from what i've heared you cannot visit the shop without the firmware so...

neuzd

neuzd said:

There is another important topic we're discussing on the boards.

Several users around the web are experiencing problems with wired connections.
Accessing the Internet with the Internet Channel works fine, but the Wii Shop is unreachable for most.

The strange thing is that there is not a standard problem because someone with official hardware can access the Wii Shop, and others not; and some with compatible LAN adapters can access the shop and others not.

King_wiL

King_wiL said:

The ??? thing is a save file that's incompatible with your wii, for example, my friend had downloaded save files off the net for us versions of games for his uk wii, they came up like that. The ??? is an unsupported file format, basically. Hope that clears it up for you.

Xenesis

Xenesis said:

Oh? Then how do you explain the ??? Channel in my 'Edit Channels' Menu (Not the Saves Menu), plus the fact I've never once plugged an SD-Card into it.

It's surely more than JUST an incompatible file.