Europe VC Releases - 10th August - Breath of Fire II

Posted by Darren Calvert

So Europe, no Wave Race 64. Still it's not all bad, let's have a look at what goodies are up for grabs this week:

One of the most popular RPG's of all time continues with the next epic quest in Breath of Fire II. Re-enter the magical life of hero Ryu, a dragon morphing warrior, as he unknowingly embarks on a vast adventure in search of his missing father and little sister. Well worth a look for RPG fans.

Galaga '90 is highly recommended for shoot-em-up fans. It's a nod to the 1981 arcade classic, which itself sort of plays like Space Invaders on steroids. There are many nice improvements here over the original game so there isn't much to dislike about this offering.

Volleyball is another one of those classic NES sports games. Unlike you have a masochistic need to punish yourself this is best avoided. Games like Soccer have aged horribly but were at least popular at the time; gaming history is virtually silent on this one - and with good reason!

Check out this week's reviews:

Breath of Fire II - SNES - 800 Points

Galaga '90 - Turbografx - 600 Points

Volleyball - NES - 500 Points

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

What, no Lunar Pool? ;) It's good to see more rpgs appearing on VC, and perhaps once we've exhausted the NES Sports series (please let it be soon), we'll be able to get good stuff like Super Tennis, FIFA, EA Hockey, Sensi Soccer and California Games.

Tomus85

Tomus85 said:

Where is Waverace 64? I bet Breath of Fire II is going to be good!! I kinda liked Breath of Fire III on Playstation....
So I guess I have to wait next Friday for Waverace......

__"L"

"L" said:

BoF 3 was awesome, (does anyone know if if was anything else apart from the PS1 and PSP?)

So I can't wait to download BoF 2.

__KQ

KQ said:

yeeee-haw! galaga 90 is the business. old school shooter heaven.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I'm surprised to see Wave Race 64 missing and Volleyball in this weeks list. BoF2 is a fun RPG from its time and well worth playing if you haven't already. I'm glad the Virtual Console got this game over its slightly dull prequel. Bear in mind that the translation is sloppy. I never did understand what the Dragon's Tears did.

Adamant

Adamant said:

"perhaps once we've exhausted the NES Sports series (please let it be soon)"

Only Golf and 10 Yard Fight remain (the latter wasn't released in Europe anyway), but since both genres already have far superior games already out for the VC, I'm not sure we'll ever get these. Anyone gonna miss them? At all? No?

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

L - BoF3 was PS1 and PSP only. I would imagine Capcom will release a BoF collection for the PSP/PS3 at somepoint.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

@ adamant, the NES Sport series is not over yet:

Golf
10 Yard Fight

AAAAAND

Kung Fu
NES Play Action Football
Nintendo World Cup
Pro Wrestling
Slalom

__Jade Louise

Jade Louise said:

Kung Fu is great its well worth 500 points. Its just the NES Sport Series titles that are poor. Nintendo World Cup was released in 1990 and is not part of the black box series, its not bad either with chunky graphics that are kinda fun, its also 4 player.

Adamant

Adamant said:

Kung Fu is not a sports game either.
Nintendo World Cup is not part of the series, and Pro Westling and Slalom both play completely different than the other "name of sport" games. Never even heard of NES Action Football.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

@ Adamant:
Every sports game is being played different so what's your point?
And Pro Wrestling is 100% part of the NES sports series.

__James VanAlstine

James VanAlstine said:

Volleyball? I'm getting tired of all the NES Garbage! I will gladly pay more for some decent SNES or N64 driving games (Top Gear 2 for the Snes, Top Gear Overdrive for the N64). Maybe I'll add to my rant: give us Bubsy (SNES). It's an awesome game!

Raganara

Raganara said:

Breath of Fire 2 is really an awsome Game I played it a few Times and with avery play I discoverd new things.

Maybe I'll get the Bombada Spell this Time.