US VC Releases - 16th July - Paper Mario

Posted by Damien McFerran

The latest batch of Virtual Console releases will no doubt be greeted with whoops of joy up and down the American continent - Paper Mario is here! You moaned, you whined and you begged - well Reggie has heard you and decreed that it will be so - the N64 classic is now available for download! Let the wine flow and the fine meat be consumed! Hurrah!

On a rather less positive note, the other two games are pretty forgettable. Balloon Fight is the kind of game you might enjoy if you've been in a coma since the 80's and Silent Debuggers looks the part but is a long way off being 'enjoyable'.

Anyway, who cares about those two? PAPER MARIO, people.

Check out this week's reviews:

Paper Mario - N64 - 1000 Points

Silent Debuggers - TurboGrafx-16 - 600 Points

Balloon Fight - NES - 500 Points

__junkeR

junkeR said:

It will be fun to play Paper Mario with a better joystick than the N64 had!

Thee_Incubus

Thee_Incubus said:

I never played it on the N64....It'd be fun to finally try. The original Smash Bros. would be an awesome addition to the VC console too. How Bout Starcraft 64? Anyone?

Jazzem

Jazzem said:

Pfft, we had that three days ago =P

Nice to see every region has Paper Mario now, as a fan of the game back in its day it's great seeing newbies picking it up now and loving it. It's finally getting the attention it truly deserves!

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

I simply love Paper Mario. I think I'll buy it again once I buy some more games I've never owned before.

neuzd

neuzd said:

How's that Wikipedia still lists Paper Mario as a future-release but the reference link points to this page? (and I mean THIS, on vc-reviews).

Nice exclusive Damo!

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Since it's not out in NA yet, and this is apparently the most credible source according to them (The press release isn't on the press site yet).

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

my pc glitched up on my last comment... ahem

"junkeR (USA) - 16 Jul 2007, 14:20 GMT
It will be fun to play Paper Mario with a better joystick than the N64 had!"

hey i like the n64 joystick better than the gamecube one! its got more "elbow" room :P

anyway i've been trying to download this but the server is flooded or something! so many people REALLY want paper mario i can't even connect! when will it slow down? WHEN???

Valien

Valien said:

Hmm, I just bought Super Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door for my Wii/GC the other day. Might have to scrounge up some points to get this soon...hehe..

weirdadam

weirdadam said:

I just finished RE4 on pro and needed something to hold me for about a week until alien syndrome gets released and reviews tell me if it's worth it. THANKS A TON NINTENDO!

I wasn't really ready to play RE4 again. Even with the unlockable guns...

Jaxathon

Jaxathon said:

I waited a long time for Paper Mario!!!

I finally get to play it =D
I loved super paper mario for the wii so im sure that this will hit the spot too =D

__Vyse

Vyse said:

Thats odd VC hasn't updated from last week for me. Hope it does soon.

Mega_X_Gundam

Mega_X_Gundam said:

pretty good picks this week even if Paper Mario shines the brightest. balloon fight is a classic and I don't know the other one but pretty sweet week.

__Mark

Mark said:

It's about time! Bring on legend of the 7 stars and we got ourselves 4 great games we can play on the Wii!

__Anne Droyd

Anne Droyd said:

"Balloon Fight is the kind of game you might enjoy if you've been in a coma since the 80's"... I guess that would be me! :)

__Yosh Man

Yosh Man said:

Vyse, Try checking the time and date on your settings. If the date is before July 16 you'll need to fix it. That should take care of your problem. I love Paper Mario! (I cream with girlish glee)

Ender

Ender said:

Took long enough, but it's finally here! Maybe this means that Super Mario RPG won't be far behind.

Sorrow24

Sorrow24 said:

This game is awesome do not hesitate to use your points for this game its way better the other crap out there

__Shiyo

Shiyo said:

Man, this game is awesome.

Anyway! This is a great game, one that I'd never played before it came to VC. I've played it for 6 hours straight after I first booted it up, and it's truly great. In many respects, it share many things with its sequel, A Thousand Year Door, so its sequel didn't really make any big steps as far as gameplay goes. I mean, there's even similarities in the party members you get - you get a Goomba that identifies enemies, a koopa that can toss his shell, a bob-omb that.. you get the picture. But the dialogue is still good, though not as humorous, and I'm liking the story. The graphics surprised me too, I didn't think it would still look so good. The 2D graphics are very stylish and almost comparable to the GCN version.

Get it nao~

__ben

ben said:

@Shiyo

the us doesn't always get stuff right away, remember zelda 2 we had to wait forever, and europe got fzero and paper mario first, so you guys get stuff too

__Steve

Steve said:

"But it irks me that, if the US gets a game first, we (Europe) have to wait weeks, if not months to get it, but if we get a game first, the US gets it the week after. -_- Talk about favoritism."

Donkey Kong Country, anyone? ;)