US VC Releases - 4th June - Zelda II

Posted by Darren Calvert

oday's Virtual Console update for North America is a bit lacking in the old WOW factor. Nintendo have made a big deal about Zelda II being the hundred game on the American VC so we will mention it first as by our reckoning it is actually the 97th! haha -..

oday's Virtual Console update for North America is a bit lacking in the old WOW factor. Nintendo have made a big deal about Zelda II being the hundred game on the American VC so we will mention it first as by our reckoning it is actually the 97th! haha - Considering Europe had this available for download months ago and it is by far the worst of the Zelda series to date we are not sure if the wait was really worth it. Sure it's not a stinker and many gamers will download this and enjoy it but it's no reason for celebrating in the streets either.

Milon's Secret Castle is a bit of an oddity, released back in 1986 by Hudson (the #1 developer for the TurboGrafx) this is a slice of gaming history. It's a fun little platformer but time really has not been kind to it. Without the retro charms of Super Mario Bros 1 it is hard to recommend this.

Some of our readers may enjoy ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron. It lacks the originality of the first TJ & Earl game by following the standard 2D platformer convention but it's a fun little game for two players. It's clearly not for everybody however so this is only recommended to the curious.

The 100th game for the North American VC is Dead Moon for the TG-16 (Sorry Nintendo I messed up your plan!!) - It's a distinctly average horizontally scrolling shoot-em-up. The TurboGrafx console is blessed with lots and lots of shoot-em-ups and this one does not live up to the expectations set by R-Type, Soldier Blade, Blazing Lazers, etc - one to avoid!

Here are the reviews in full:

Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES - 500 Points

Milon's Secret Castle - NES - 500 Points

ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron - Sega Genesis - 800 Points

Dead Moon - TurboGrafx16 - 600 Points

Kevin

Kevin said:

According to how they did the press release, Zelda II indeed is #100. Eh, it doesn't matter what number it is to me. I'm just glad Zelda II's finally out.

__ben

ben said:

i guess that releasing paper mario or f zero would have taken away form zelda 2's release, but zelda 2 definatlly the worst zelda game in my opinion. this is a sad day for the vc, but who knows maybe well get some good games when the 1000th one comes out.

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

Man, that's some damn awful games right there son.

What a way to comemorate the 100th VC title. Hope we do better.

__grayOlorin

grayOlorin said:

Man, I am really surprised that a lot of people dislikes this zelda. I do not remember too many games at the time that played like it...! I though it was actually really unique. definitly hard though...!

Mega_X_Gundam

Mega_X_Gundam said:

never played Zelda two and I'm the only one that can say if I don't like it thank you very much.

[mod edit: why don't you play it and see if you agree with our review then? doh!]

the rest of them games can hit the road in my opinion. but hey it was a 4 game update so thats pretty rare in itself. come on Super Mario RPG!!!

__jg233

jg233 said:

sad sad day. haven't dl'ed in a longggggggggg time now. Not since bonk's revenge...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

when is the hundredth game in europe? i think we're up to the mid eighties now.

said:

Why do people Hate Zelda 2?
i Cannot Compute xD

anyway maybe we Europies get FzeroX
now that would be Cool ^^

Yoshi175

Yoshi175 said:

we had the same amount as US yesterday so if four games come out we will have a hundred this week, Use region filter and you can see

__Will

Will said:

Not really thrilled about the games this week but Zelda II is a must play, I still own it on the NES but have never passed the final stage as I couldn't figure it out on my own. Last week was pretty darn good for those who never played Actraiser so I'm not complaining. Personally too busy playing a lot of Gamecube titles I missed out on the first time that have been going on sale everywhere including Paper Mario (GC) for $10 new at Nebraska Furniture Mart.

JODIsBack

JODIsBack said:

Demon212, na. Plus 3 games (Zelda 2, Milon's Secret Castle and TJ&E2) are great. I haven't played Dead Moon but i heard it was good.

God Damn awesome week.

__TheReaFONZ

TheReaFONZ said:

You know, I don't understand why people bitch every time they don't get a big hitter on the VC I mean come on Nintendo have to spread out the games over the wii's 5+ year cycle so of coarse your not going to get a "super mario world" every week.

Also Zelda II isn't half as bad as the three Zelda CD-I games

pfft! worst Zelda game my ass ;D

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

lol true nothing is as bad as the CD-I games. We were talking about the REAL nintendo Zeldas here!

__William

William said:

I don't know why people don't like Zelda II (NES, GC (Collector's Edition), and VC)... I've really loved it! In fact, it's a lot better than Major's Mask... believe me, it sucks. I've played it before, but I've neither completed the last level nor finished the whole game. OoT's better, in my opinion. If you guys don't like Zelda II, tnen don't waste your time dl'ing it to your VC. But for you guys who love it, then DL it! :) For me, it's worth the DL.

Wished that Nintendo would release those games for the VC:
F-Zero X (N64)
Super R-Type (SNES)
Battle Cars (SNES)
Wanders of Y's III (SNES)
Hmmm.. can't think of anything else, but those above games are still my favorites.

said:

I wish they would release Super offroad on the nes very soon
that's some real multiplayer game there ^^

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Sorry Deckers - NES Off Road has two major factors going against it ever appearing on Virtual Console. 1. It's a Rare title who don't put any of their games on Virtual Console (Nintendo owns the rights for the DKC games so they are okay) and 2. Rare would have to pay to get the Ivan Stewart license back which wouldn't happen even if Rare were doing V.C. games. They would have to remove all trace of Ivan Stewart from the game (I don't know how much he appears in the game).

__TheReaFONZ

TheReaFONZ said:

A little birdy told me of a big thing goin down for Europe's big 100

ME thinks Yoshi story;-)

I ALSO hear Ninty havin some problems portin certain games to run on the emaulaters such as...awwwww I don't know maybe SUPER METROID!

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Fonz, sorry but that is the most brain dead thing I have heard in ages! WHY would nintendo have problems emulating ANY super nintendo game? give me a break!

__TheReaFONZ

TheReaFONZ said:

Ther havin problems with the 60Hz mode ESPECAILY for Europe. Enemys disapering, flour turning the wrong colour that certa thing

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

LOL

60hz is to do with the refresh rate of the TV. The only problem they could possibly have would be speed-related. It certainly wouldn't effect the content of the game itself.

How do you dream this stuff up, Fonz?

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

When will Europe get the 11 Games that the USA have? Some are from February :(

RGVEDA

__ben

ben said:

i know this is kinda off topic, but i want to see some gbc games on the vc, the reason im saying this is im playing all of the zelda games right now, and it would be mighty convenient if i could download links awakening, and oracle of ages/seasons on my wii.

instead im hunting all over town for a gbc, and the games.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

RGVEDA, the only games America has we don't that you should be caring about are Ninja Gaiden (Shadow Warriors), Golden Axe II, Sonic 2 and maybe Romance 4 (Though that wasn't released here originally, so don't count on it yet). The rest is either mediocre or bad, certainly nothing worth getting upset about.