US VC Releases - 11th June - Sonic 2

Posted by Darren Calvert

ot a bad day for retro gamers in North America. Here's what you get: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Sega Genesis - 800 Points Without a doubt the best Sonic game to date. Sega managed to top the original Sonic with this one. It's our personal belief that Sonic 2..

ot a bad day for retro gamers in North America. Here's what you get:

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Sega Genesis - 800 Points

Without a doubt the best Sonic game to date. Sega managed to top the original Sonic with this one. It's our personal belief that Sonic 2 is a better game than the 3rd installment. Some people may disagree, but I'm sure they will make themselves known in the comments section, as always.

Golden Axe II - Sega Genesis - 800 Points

Unlike with Sonic not every game gets better with a sequel. If you've already got the first Golden Axe I would give this one a miss. Graphically and sonically it's a mixed bag and it plays too much like the first game to be worthwhile.

Lode Runner - NES - 500 Points

A fun puzzle game but pointless given the superior TurboGrafx-16 Battle Lode Runner is already on the VC.

Click the links above to read the full reviews!

__Bush Mackel

Bush Mackel said:

Good releases, but I think the only one I'd download would be Golden Axe II since I think I have Sonic 2 on a couple different systems in many a "Sega Collection".

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Despite all the collections, I've never played Sonic 2. I don't want to hunt down the GC collection and I don't have a PS2, so I will be buying it on VC when it comes to Europe.

__Steve

Steve said:

Great to see another Sonic game out; I've been waiting for something new since the first one came out several months ago!

__Don-Bon

Don-Bon said:

I'm content with this week. I'll get Lode Runner and maybe Golden Axe 2.

__spackler

spackler said:

Go out and get Sonic Mega Collection for the Gamecube instead. It's cheaper than buying Sonic games on the VC.

Shrapnel09

Shrapnel09 said:

Awsome sonic 2! This will make it my 4th genesis game i own on VC, (thousand times better than 1st one). and i have played 3 that much so i cant judge.

__Shiyo

Shiyo said:

Sweet, I hope we get Sonic 2 as well. Lode Runner was also good fun back in the day, I used to own it, I may get it. :3

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

A bit of an iffy list, but Sonic 2 is a must-buy! I hope we get it soon too.

STEADY_MOBBIN_22

STEADY_MOBBIN_22 said:

Worst week yet.

Golden Axe II and Sonic 2 can both be had on classic collections. The only reason to get Load Runner is if you want to play an EARLY classic PC game. Didn't I play that on the Apple IIe?

Where is
Metroid
River City Ransom
Baseball Stars (NES)
Phantasy Star II (GEN)
Dr. Mario (NES)
ShadowRun (SNES)
Super Metroid
Super Punch Out!
Ikari Warriors
Any Mega Man game, but preferable the first, and MMX(SNES)
Bloody Wolf (T16)
Shining Darkness Series (GEN)
Desert Strike (GEN)

How about some obscure titles like
Golgo 13(NES)
Rambo (NES)
Goonies II
Superman (NES)
Warriors of the Eternal Sun(GEN)
King's Bounty (GEN)
Out of this world (GEN) and the sequel, Flashback (GEN)
Eternal Champions (GEN)
Lost Vikings (SNES/GEN)

I know I kinda went overboard, but this is really my first time I have really given my thoughts on this forum.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Kevin (USA): Nice wish list, c'mon there has been far worse weeks on the US virtual console! Take last week for instance! Sonic 2 is a great game and you have to remember not everyone already owns it on the classic collections. At least this way you don't have to put a disc in to play it also.

If you want to post lists of games you want to see please do so on our forum: http://www.vc-forums.com

JODIsBack

JODIsBack said:

worst week yet? ffs its f*ckin sonic 2 and golden axe 2

you even complained when we f*ckin got actraiser

DJ_Philanegro

DJ_Philanegro said:

Pretty good stuff this week. I had my fingers crossed for Super Mario Bros 2, though. (AKA Doki Doki Panic) But hey, with a major title like Sonic 2 released, I guess I have no right to complain! :D

__ben

ben said:

sonic 2 is awesome, but where is mario 2 i want to defeat birdo!

__jg233

jg233 said:

Where's the N64 games? Why are there never any 3rd party N64 games?

STEADY_MOBBIN_22

STEADY_MOBBIN_22 said:

a gamer (USA) - 11 Jun 2007, 23:04 GMT
worst week yet? ffs its f*ckin sonic 2 and golden axe 2
you even complained when we f*ckin got actraiser

Slow down killer, you're at a 15 and we need you at a 7.
There are a billion Kevin's on this board. I have only posted twice on this board. While it might not be the worst week yet, (try not to take the internet so seriously) it wasn't great. Golden axe games are weak. Sonic 2 is pretty solid, but we just got Sonic 1 and like I said before it can be had on a gamecube collection disk with all the older Sonic games for just about the same price of the VC game. Trust me, they aren't so good that you want to spend 5-6 times more just to have them on your VC. You''ll play it a few times and then you'll put it away.

Ender

Ender said:

I agree with Kevin, why spend your hard earned money on a Sonic game when you can just buy the collection for a few bucks more? C'mon Nintendo, where are all of the classic games (from your systems) that you promised us?

__Steve

Steve said:

*Sonic 2 is pretty solid, but we just got Sonic 1*

Hmmm, just got it huh?

Sonic the Hedgehog, released Nov 19th 2006
Sonic 2, released Jun 11 2007

So, 7 months. Yeah, your definition of "just" must be different from mine. =P

*why spend your hard earned money on a Sonic game when you can just buy the collection for a few bucks more?*

Because trying to use a GC controller sucks with those types of games?

*C'mon Nintendo, where are all of the classic games (from your systems) that you promised us?*

You mean like Super Mario, Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, F-Zero, Zelda 1, 2, 3 and 5, Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2.... Yeah, they're on there already. The list gets much bigger if you throw in classic 3rd party titles like Castlevania 1 & 4, Actraiser, Ninja Gaiden, Street Fighter...

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

If there's anything you should be asking, it's where Sega's 3rd party titles are. Every single MD game on VC so far is by Sega.

Shrapnel09

Shrapnel09 said:

a few reasons why i like to buy the VC version and not purchase a collectors disc:

+ save state
+ convenience
+ prefer the classic controller

sure the logical economical thing to do is to get the collectors edition of said franchises, while that may be true, I view the virtual console as more of a official collector's type of system with data that will never get worn down (unlike cartridge/disc) and can be backed up via SD card. which is why i plan to invest a lot of money in VC.

Even though i own megamanX collectors for cube, i still plan to buy the first three megamanX's for SNES if they come out, im a purist so i enjoy using the SNES-like classic controller that adds to the old school feel.

Ryu-mithril

Ryu-mithril said:

to the kevin who made the list...
not meaning to be condescending but...
Phantasy Star 2 and MMX are on collections as well....
I would replace phantasy star 2 with 4 though...
and i do agree with goonies 2 that was a great and underated game