US VC Releases - 30th April - Mystical Ninja

Posted by Darren Calvert

North America is playing catch up with Europe this week as finally two classic Konami games are released in the shape of Mystical Ninja and Castlevania. Both of these games are excellent and well worth a look.

For Megaman fans Shockman may be of some interest. It's the TurboGrafx's take on the genre and worth a look even if it might not be our top choice this week.

Check out the reviews:

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja - SNES - 800 Points

Castlevania - NES - 500 Points

Shockman - TG-16 - 600 Points

So on the whole not a bad week then. Let's hope we see some more N64 games soon, F-Zero X I am looking at you!!

__tokenblackguy

tokenblackguy said:

YES!, i forgot all bout "The Legend of the Mystical Ninja" i used to play that game with my brother on 2players.

__ste hicky

ste hicky said:

f-zero x!? yes please. i wonder (given squares latest comments) if we'll see chrono trigger in europe,yup it's THAT good, most pal gamers don't know what they're missing.

DjinnFighter

DjinnFighter said:

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja, the game I played the most on Super NES. What a good game

__CrawfordTexasJingoJango

CrawfordTexasJingoJango said:

Castlevania?! F yeah! I downloaded Punch-Out! last week, and I had a conversation with a friend of mine about how they just don't make games like these anymore. The NES version of 'Vania is among the best games ever to be released anywhere ever. It's not like the game is too hard, but more like the game TRAINS you as you play it. If you save in the middle and try to pick it up later, it's nearly impossible to finish. None of this God Of War hand-holding crap where they remind you of every ability that you have every 5-10 minutes. Just real, raw, and friggin' hard! Sorry, didn't mean to ramble.

Cheers!

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

I'd like F-ZERO 64. I never played it, heard it was good. Same with Excitebike 64.

So many great games I missed out on, this is why I wanted a Wii.

Nothing to do with the Wii games (and if I had wanted it solely for those i'd have traded my Wii in months ago) just the golden oldies :)

Well, you guys got a blatent Megaman ripoff alongside 2 awesome games, what's to complain about?

__Delv

Delv said:

F-Zero-X (N64) according to Wikipedia, is scheduled for May Release in Japan, so Europe and america shouldn't be too far behind

Kevin

Kevin said:

What gives, Nintendo?! We were supposed to have gotten Zelda II and Vectorman today! But we're getting Castlevania so I'll shut up until next week.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

If you're getting SMRPG anytime this year I'll be surprised. Dream on.

__PowerLegend

PowerLegend said:

YES! YES! OH MY MOTHER F***ING GOD, YES! Castlevania and Mystical Ninja. AND Shockman, which is supposedly another good game.

This is SO much better than what we would have gotten.

Mystical Ninja is a very fun co-operated game, and you can go into stores, fortune tellers and other places as you play a level. Castlevania is a very fun Adventure Platformer. You will get a knack and enjoyment from playing that.

God bless Konami.

However, We should see Zelda 2 and Vectorman next week, or AT LEAST next month.

Demonic_St33V

Demonic_St33V said:

"Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon" has always been one of my favorite games for the N64. While I wait and pray for it's VC release, "The Legend of the Mystical Ninja" should keep me happy.

I've always been a huge fan of Ishikawa Goemon.... the man, the myth, the legend and the games!

Well.... We've a couple Castlevania games now.... When do we get Castlevania 2? Loved that game.

And speaking of "when do we get....", when's Zelda 2 coming out in the USA? *grumble*

__Ghetto_ninja

Ghetto_ninja said:

Sweet an old NES game that is like the exact same thing as the new Castlevania's minus good graphics, weapons and gameplay. And Shockman another shooter but i already have Contra and Gunstar. And Mystica Ninja would be cool but i don't have the patience to invest that much of my time in a game so old. Let's put out like um Streets of Rage 2 and 3, TMNT 4: Turtles in Time, Golden Axe 2 and like the original FIFA Soccer, Kirby Super Stars, and Contra. Games that are still fun today because they haven't already been done 1000% better because frankly there hasn't been a good new shoot em up sidescroller or beat em up game made in the last 5 years. Rise to Honor was the closet thing to greatness but that didn't have 2 player Coop. Final Force wasn't bad either.

ARK1

ARK1 said:

Good selections this week, though I would have been a TAD happined if we got Castlevania III, the best of the NES Castlevanias

__Don-Bon

Don-Bon said:

Wow, we get a bunch of good games and people still complain. We get some good games and all people complain about is the future.
Well I am VERY pleased with this selection Monday, I'm glad I still have some left-over points.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

@Champion: Uh, no, not really.
In US, not EU: Legend of Kage, Tecmo Bowl, Elevator Action, Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV, Gradius III, Alex Kidd, Virtua Fighter 2, Wonder Boy, Bravoman
In EU, not US: Zelda II, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Mighty Bomb Jack, ActRaiser, Final Fight, Vectorman

The only good US exclusives are Gradius III and Wonder Boy, whereas all of Europe's exclusives save Math kick ass.

__/l\ T /l\ R I

/l\ T /l\ R I said:

Hmmm... Not a huge Mystical Ninja fan. Vaguely remember the N64 version and felt it was a bit too "Japanesey". Might give this one a try though.

With not much time to dedicate to gaming, arcade games have been a lifesaver for getting my fix. Kudos to Ghetto Ninja name dropping TMNT: Turtles In Time... Those were happy days!

Does anyone else reckon an old school arcade controller would be sweet? Y'know, chunky joy-stick and large, clicky action buttons. The Dreamcast's grey and green one used for Dynamite Cop being the best example.

RMA

RMA said:

US releases like this always make it more interesting for us in the EU...theres not even a hint of what we may get on Thursday!

__PowerLegend

PowerLegend said:

Exclusives? All of those games with the exception of ActRaiser (which I highly doubt that it wouldn't come here) and DK Jr Math are confirmed for America. I wouldn't call them exclusives.