Europe VC Releases - 23rd March - Zelda Link to the Past (Finally!)

Posted by Darren Calvert

The good people of Europe and Australasia can rejoice today as finally The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past is finally available to download. This is TWO MONTHS after North America region got it! Very strange indeed!

Zelda is the game we were all waiting for! Hopefully the weeks of moaning can now stop. Only one other title is available today, and it's the gothic classic Castlevania on the NES. This is another fine game but I can't help but feel it will get forgotten as everyone rushes to download Zelda!

Have fun VC gamers!

__Yko

Yko said:

I've been waiting on Starfox 64.
They better add more game's.
I might give it a download.
If there is only one game that's sly.

__Hendo

Hendo said:

"I've been waiting on Starfox 64."

I knew the moaning would never end. LttP comes down so which is the next game to bitch that it's not here?

accidental

accidental said:

If I had recently bought this for GBA I'd have been keen to get it on VC. It would have been cheaper :P

__Simon Rees

Simon Rees said:

went to download and says takes 0 blocks in system memory
not trying now as dont want it to fail and lose points

__Yko

Yko said:

I dont like Zelda hendo.

Im not the Zelda fanboi yapping every week I WANT ALLTP OMG NOT HERE AMGZ

__MadBob

MadBob said:

I knew LTTP was going to be released this weekend as it coinsides with the PS3 release.

anyway I got fed up waiting and bought the SD Launcher, no more Wii points for me :p

__ShinynewJB

ShinynewJB said:

Yes! Finally! Nintendo of Europe decide we're ready for Link to the Past! I never had this game, but I used to play it at a mate's house all the time, really looking forward to playing it properly, it's one of the only Zelda games I haven't got! The SNES carts fetch quite a lot on eBay, this seems a more economical solution.

We'll get Lylat Wars next week now I'd imagine.

Manaman

Manaman said:

I'd probably have picked this up if I didn't already have the GBA cart. Ah well, saving my points for another week then.

MrP

MrP said:

Got the cart, got the GBA game. Otherwise, this would've rocked.

Mendez

Mendez said:

I got the GBA one about a year ago and personally I prefer Links Awakening and te 3D ones. It just didn't have the same magic as the others, and I don't want to pointlessly spend any valuable Wii points, so I'll have to give it a miss...

__Joe

Joe said:

Simon,
mine said 0 blocks to download but it came through fine, if there is a problem you can just download it again...

Also, this game is literally one of the best games ever made, almost as good as Majora's mask - how long 'till we get that?

Memnoch

Memnoch said:

Ah such fond memories. Worth every penny and then some. Enough to draw this World of Warcraft addict away from his PC - is there higher praise? :D

Gypsie

Gypsie said:

Im with Zelda!!! on this - "YEAHHHHHHHH BABY" literally couldnt be happier - who cares what else came out this week? LTTP is definitive ninty at the top of their game, and lets be honest, what development house can beat them when they're on top form??

heres to a week of old school kinda RPG/kinda adventure fun!! *buys in a disproportionate amount of crisps, coke, and rich teas and takes the phone off the hook - Service discontinued until further notice......beeeeeeeeeeep*

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

I think it's a bit off, not only have we waited for 2 months, it's all we get.

OOT comes out and we get Kid Ic and Excite with it. ALTTP an ieneriour (but still amazing) Zelda comes out, and we get it and it alone.

WTF?!

King_wiL

King_wiL said:

Well i'd be lying if i said i wasn't extremely disappointed-though lttp is an awesome game, i completed it at least 10 times on the snes and i've done it 5 times on the gba so i don't think i'm goin to be downloading it, i'll save my points for lylat wars if they ever release it!

neuzd

neuzd said:

Went through the first part of the game like I was speedrunnig it, maybe just waited a second more to honour link's uncle fading away.

Zelda, I'm coming!!!!

E-dawg

E-dawg said:

Now, if they could just put Majora's Mask on there and all the Zelda games would be available, HURRY UP, I want Majora's Mask more than any other Zelda.

darthstuey

darthstuey said:

What is all the excitement about? This has been out on the GBA for about 5 years so it's not like it was unavailable. I want games that have been unavailable since their original release- I thought that was the whole point of the VC. There is no doubting just how good this game is but considering its availability I am really disappointed it is the only game released this week.

i8cookie

i8cookie said:

yesssssssss. why is there no news of any FX chip games being released? no star fox / YI?

calcifer

calcifer said:

This game is legend! And yes it has been available on the GBA for a while, but I'd much rather play it on a television screen than 'on the move' as it were. And since i never bought the GBA player for my cube...

__DvA

DvA said:

"ALTTP an ieneriour (but still amazing) Zelda comes out, and we get it and it alone. "

Do you mean inferior? I disagree. ALttP > OoT

"What is all the excitement about? This has been out on the GBA for about 5 years so it's not like it was unavailable"

The GBA version is alterted.

RMA

RMA said:

That's me happy. Never played this and a pal of mine (like I really have any friends...) has been telling me that this is one to start with, not the NES Zeldas (too easy apparently).

FX chip games? Gimme Stunt Race FX! Loved that game.

__Matt

Matt said:

Bonza!! Finally Link to the Past arrrives. Dunno if it's fully optimised, but the borders are almost non existent, easily on a par with Super Mario World in this department!! Don't think Nintendo Europe dare disrespect this gaming classic with a shoddy release and massive borders. Any ideas??

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Thanks to all the people who have emailed in and stated that Castlevania is also available - when the news piece was written (last night) we weren't aware of this rather important fact! :)

RMA

RMA said:

I think now is a good time to mention that I love VC Thursdays. I spend too much time for a...mature...gamer wondering what they're gonna release each week. As Jacques the suave bowling adulterer said 'even better than the event is ze...anticipation'.

or something along those lines. Simpsons geeks need not correct my paraphrasing poor memory.

Shrapnel09

Shrapnel09 said:

everything is going as i foreseen... you will now see the adventures of link for US on monday and when that day comes you will find all the answers you need.

im just surprised to see so many zelda games so early in the console's life, you would think nintendo would spread them out.

__Steve

Steve said:

@RMA: "Never played this and a pal of mine (like I really have any friends...) has been telling me that this is one to start with, not the NES Zeldas (too easy apparently)."

What?! Zelda's 2nd quest is at least as hard as LttP, and Adventure of Link is more difficult than any other Zelda game to date, with the possible exception of Majora's Mask.

"Only one other title is available today, and it's the gothic classic Castlevania on the NES. This is another fine game but I can't help but feel it will get forgotten as everyone rushes to download Zelda!"

OK, how ironic is it that when you guys thought this was the only game you were getting, everyone whined about it, and now that we find out Castlevania is also available, the attitude of the review is like "Oh gee, they shouldn't have done that."

And that would be why they don't normally release two great games side-by-side...

Zak

Zak said:

Beyon Oasis/Story of Thor will be released in the fist week of april. Anyway, this is the offensive attack from Nintendo, because it's the PS3 EU Launch Date today.

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

DVA, I actually typed "inferiour". I don't know what happened, I spell checked my post and realised that it was "ie" instead of "in", so I changed it and clicked "post". WTF happened?

And OOT PWNS ALTTP.

JNoodles

JNoodles said:

Its pretty funny. By the time Europe got ALttP, I already had finished it! *maniacle laughter*

JNoodles

JNoodles said:

Hendo: For you Brits it would be Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor. Then it will probably be Wonder Boy in Monster World, I predict. THE GREAT JONNO HAS SPOKEN!

__UKMF Diablo

UKMF Diablo said:

weird how xbox releases castlevania and then it comes out on the vc... same thing happend with turtles.. I wonder whose coppying who?? o.k theyre both not the identical versions i know but is it just coincidence or are their greater forces at work here? or maybe its all just a big conspiracy?? or maybe or maybe... ahhh who cares! woohoo a link to the past is out ... im off to play now- YOINK!

p.s I never got round to downloadin the nes version of castlevania coz it came out on the box an i downloaded it off them first DOH!

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

Well since XBL ANNOUNCE what they're launching, and since they launch before hand. I'd say Ninty are copying them.

__Hendo

Hendo said:

You don't think that Konami owns all the Turtles games and wants the old ones out at the same time to publicize the new Turtles games and film? Same goes for Castlevania. I've heard of naiveity before, but that's just plain dumb.

Manaman

Manaman said:

Both Turtles games were released to coincide with the release of the movie. Nobody was 'copying' anybody in that regard.

And so much for saving my points for another week... *downloads Castlevania*

Masuyo

Masuyo said:

I just beat LoZ: Minish Cap for GBA so I was all gooey eyed for zelda games, I picked this one up just because of the extreme nostalgia even tho I had it in like 2 other forms. It's so much easier when you're playing these games as an adult and you READ the text lol.

__vegai

vegai said:

Whoa, this is a good game.

In fact, Link to the Past is the best game for Nintendo Wii so far.