Neo Geo coming to the Virtual Console

Posted by Damien McFerran

Here's a massive piece of news for fans of the Virtual Console - Nintendo of Japan have confirmed that Neo Geo games will soon be available for download via the service!

The Neo Geo console was released in the days of the NES and Megadrive, and became famous for expensive but high quality arcade games such as King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, Metal Slug, Samuari Shodown and Last Blade. Creators SNK have since gone bust and been reborn as SNK Playmore, and they will be handling the distribution of Neo Geo VC downloads. There's been no word on points pricing or lineup as yet, but these games are going to be huge so you'll be looking at least 800 points per game, if not more. Having said that, the games are a cut above SNES and Megadrive stuff, although it remains to be seen how the VC will handle some of the bigger games. Some of the recent Neo Geo cart releases have been gigantic in terms of memory!

Another piece of interesting news is that Nintendo have now confirmed that MSX titles will be available on the VC, with the first two titles being Eggy and Aleste, costing 800 points each. This is a bit more than expected - these games are good but not in the same league as SNES stuff, which costs the same!

Anyway, this is excellent news and is a welcome boost to the already impressive VC lineup. Obviously we can't confirm at this very early stage that Neo Geo stuff will be making its way to the US and Europe - but the signs are good. Keep those fingers firmly crossed.

Check out Nintendo of Japan's Virtual Console page!

__DJ LINK

DJ LINK said:

What great news - Neo Geo and MSX!

I want Last Resort and Baseball Stars 2 for Neo Geo and Yie Ar Kungfu II for the MSX

__German

German said:

WOW! They're adding consoles like no tommorrow. This is very good news. Hopefully this comes state-side. I don't doubt that it will eventually.

EnglishRob

EnglishRob said:

I hope Nintendo Europe release the Neo Geo titles in UK/Europe.

Being a big Neo Geo fan this is the best news I have heard in ages. Hopefully we will be able to enjoy some of the older Neo Geo releases (League Bowling, Nam 1975, King Of The Monsters etc) as well as the newer Neo Geo titles.

__Jake

Jake said:

Surely the Wii is as powerful if not more powerful than a xbox 1??! I think because the emulator will be programmed with cooperation from SNK we can expect it to be near perfect. I just wonder how long the Wiis 512MB internal memory will cope with some of these larger games!

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

Neverhad an NG or an MSX, so can't wait for the VC games to come.

But with these and Speccy games coming, maybe one day we will see GB games and DC games hit the market :)

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Speccy games? Say it ain't so! Oh well, at least I'd get to play Manic Miner and Skool Daze again! lol

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

With all the large games coming to the V.C. I'd say it's almost necessary for Wii owners to pick up an SD card.

__Jeremy

Jeremy said:

AWESOME! Never had either but can't wait to get all these games I never even heard of. Hope they add the 2600 as well.

RodHull

RodHull said:

I just want Commodore 64 games or even Amiga.

8 Bit is the future!

SID tastic!

__Seraph

Seraph said:

Certainly great news here! i'm very impressed with the selection of consoles nintendo will be offering soon!

If only it were possible to emulate disc based media.........Sega Saturn would be very welcome......ah one can dream.......

__Barrie Rogers

Barrie Rogers said:

Great news for the Wii VC. Will be good to get some classic NeoGeo games. Nintendo really need to start working on a Arcade Joystick for all the great fighters on the NeoGeo. Not sure the Classic Controller will be able to put up with all the battering.

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

Don't quote me on the speccy thing, it's just something I heard. Could be lies, could be something truthful there. Only time will tell I suppose.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Good news. There are many SNK fighting games I am interested in that I hope makes it to Virtual Console. At least we won't have to put up with the poor quality 16-bit console conversions.