Revolution Named: Wii

Posted by Paul Catlin

Nintendo finally announce the final name of the Revolution console, the Nintendo Wii. Wiill it catch on?

Nintendo have officially announced the name of their new console, previously codenamed 'Revolution' Here is what Nintendo had to say about it:

Introducing... Wii.
As in "we."
While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer.
Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else.
Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?
Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone.
Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.
Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it.
And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.
So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me.
It's about Wii.
And together, Wii will change everything.

So, thats our new baby. What do you think about the name?

[via wii.nintendo.com]

Ed_Rush

Ed_Rush said:

Something lost in translation, or gained perhaps... ?

It's still just call it Nintendo myself :P

The_Stig

The_Stig said:

It really needs an English name so near enough all people around the globe understands it.

'Wii' almost sounds like 'Why' to people and if someone said "do you have a nintendo wii'why.." I'd think it was with a hint or sarcasm and reply with "because they rock"

But that's just me, needs a univerisal name tbh

TranceNova

TranceNova said:

lol. I was shocked to hear this name. I liked revolution better myself. Reading around I found out that they were trying to come up with some unusual name, kind of like google, yahoo and ipod. They all sound unusual but they have something in common, they are all successful. Anyway, that’s what I read somewhere...

oh and this site sure is starting to shape up nicely. Keep up the good work pHaT-aNt_ :-)

KingKRool

KingKRool said:

I have no problem with the new name at all, as long as Nintendo brings out the same quality games they have been for years.

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

I really quite like the idea behind the name and the way they explain the logo, its reminds me of the logic behind the sony "Vaio" name and logo.

As for the way it sounds, erm, not so great... Oh well, nothing Wii can do about it.