Forums

Topic: Your Most Recent WiiWare Download

Posts 121 to 140 of 149

SKTTR

DarkEdi wrote:

I forgot another thing. You can have some additional space if you transfer the lowest size data channels to the Wii menu (like NES games) so you dont get under the necesary 320 minimum size blocks to activate any game from your SD card. This way you have new space for channels. And maybe to erase demos from wiiware you already have bought (i did it thay way because too many demos made me difficult to organize my sd card).

My Wii Mode Wii memory is capped at 320 free blocks already, so it can load and run the biggest VC and WiiWare games. With the save data of 400+ Wii games, there is absolutely no Wii memory left to put channels there. Channels absolutely have to go on SD Card because Wii memory is used to the max with precious save data and expensive DLC. Unlike Save Data and DLC, Channels can be read from SD Card.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

DarkEdi

Then if I want to keep my deleted channels in my Wii U, can I put them in the memory storage in my Wii when I need to transfer to Wii U or I can´t keep those channels??

Because I´m thinking to keep in the memory of my Wii all the Channels deleted and to see if it is possible to transfer to Wii U only to keep the nostalgia they once were active.

Me gusta jugar videojuegos. Soy de México. Sorry my english grammar. I love the Virtual Console, party and fighting games too.

Nintendo Network ID: edi_tena

SKTTR

your deleted channels? everything that can't be transfered stays on your Wii.

Edited on by SKTTR

DarkEdi

No, I didn´t deleted channels but I don´t know if channels like Netflix can be in Wii mode if I keep them in the memory in my Wii when I transfer.

Me gusta jugar videojuegos. Soy de México. Sorry my english grammar. I love the Virtual Console, party and fighting games too.

SKTTR

No, Netflix stays on your Wii.
There's a Wii U version of the Netflix channel though.

DarkEdi

Yes it is but only it was to keep memory of my channel, like the Metroid 3 preview channel.

SKTTR

You keep those channels and their memory (save data?) on Wii.

DarkEdi

And do they appear in the download list in the shop or are they deleted in that list?

SKTTR

if it's not transfered it's still there in your old download list.

DarkEdi

All games and channels? (i suppose only game isn´t in that list is LostWinds)

SKTTR

Umm... not sure what you mean.
LostWinds, ToriBash, a few demos, and most Wii channels stay on the old console, their save data as well.
At least that's what's happened to me.

DarkEdi

Thanks

unrandomsam

SKTTR wrote:

DarkEdi wrote:

I forgot another thing. You can have some additional space if you transfer the lowest size data channels to the Wii menu (like NES games) so you dont get under the necesary 320 minimum size blocks to activate any game from your SD card. This way you have new space for channels. And maybe to erase demos from wiiware you already have bought (i did it thay way because too many demos made me difficult to organize my sd card).

My Wii Mode Wii memory is capped at 320 free blocks already, so it can load and run the biggest VC and WiiWare games. With the save data of 400+ Wii games, there is absolutely no Wii memory left to put channels there. Channels absolutely have to go on SD Card because Wii memory is used to the max with precious save data and expensive DLC. Unlike Save Data and DLC, Channels can be read from SD Card.

Save data can be stored on the sdcard just cannot be used from it(Copied off and backed up on Google Drive or whatever copied back when you actually need it). Loading from sdcard is slow and more than likely bad for the wear and tear of the flash. Once it is broken it won't be cheap to get it sorted out. (That is if Nintendo are still willing to fix it. Don't think they will fix Gamecube's now for example).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

OMC79

unrandomsam wrote:

Save data can be stored on the sdcard just cannot be used from it(Copied off and backed up on Google Drive or whatever copied back when you actually need it). Loading from sdcard is slow and more than likely bad for the wear and tear of the flash. Once it is broken it won't be cheap to get it sorted out. (That is if Nintendo are still willing to fix it. Don't think they will fix Gamecube's now for example).

It can't be used directly but it can be used to store data that won't be used for long periods. In order to prevent wear and tear of the internal flash memory, I recommend to copy a game that you plan to be playing on a regular basis instead of reading it from the SD. The NAND flash memories, like the one used in the Wii, are very resilient and even have some methods to extend their life on their own. Even older flash RAMs are known to withstand a regular wear and tear by several years, my 15-year-old PS1 cards (most of them cheap copies of the official Sony ones) are still working and there was less to wear off. Writing and deleting is what wears them off, and PS1 cards have plenty of that. Even after the first read/write failures appear, the flash RAM can still work very well for quite some time. I think what wears them more quickly is deletion of large amounts of memory.

OMC79

unrandomsam

Writing 320 blocks every time you start a game is unnecessary risk. (I believe I read that if you cannot read any part of the WIi memory then you cannot do a system transfer to Wii U.) and if you do have to send it to Nintendo (Which they won't do for ever) I don't expect they will care one bit about the save games.

Used Wii's are dirt cheap it is not the fact that the device can break but just the hassle and the amount Nintendo charges to fix if it is necessary.

Afaik stuff like PS1 memory cards is a different technology. It isn't dense enough to use in any kind of quantity but it is more reliable.

OMC79

PS1 cards are one of the earlier Flash RAM technologies, it's closer to EEPROMs and these things last about a 1000 writes. NANDs are about two or three generations ahead and worked around some of the wear and tear problems, I'm not saying that they are flawless but they won't give real problems at least for a decade. Like I said, if you want to reduce the risk, is good to copy the games you'll play for a large period of time, that's what I do, I had World of Goo in it until I finish it, now I copied Fluidity and I'll keep it there until I master it. I'm not sure if is the NAND flash RAM type that withstands 100,000 write/erase cycles, but if it is, 100,000 write/erase cycles are a lot and most people won't be playing their Wii's as they do now after the next generation takes off, so it will probably last longer than the machines themselves, which is better than OK since the data is unusable in a different console. Besides, from what I've read above, the WiiU in Wii Mode has some compatibility issues, maybe is better to hack the WiiU in Wii Mode as it doesn't affect the WiiU mode (or so I've heard).
If only Nintendo would give a new system update that would allow direct reads to an SD, it would ease the wear and tear problem of the internal Flash RAM, it's very likely that it will never come, though.
Anybody out there with a Wii since its early days have problems with their internal flash memory? I would like to hear about such problems (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really curious about it too).

OMC79

unrandomsam

There is at least one good example of a journalist of some type having to send his Wii back to Nintendo for exactly that reason. $400 worth of content tool fails because of one dead block. $80 repair.

It is stated as an average the write/erase cycles as well.

I have killed stuff that was supposed to do 1,000,000 erase cycles NOR with no back blocks in manufacturing expensive not very dense no reason it should not last pretty much forever.

OMC79

unrandomsam wrote:

There is at least one good example of a journalist of some type having to send his Wii back to Nintendo for exactly that reason. $400 worth of content tool fails because of one dead block. $80 repair.

It is stated as an average the write/erase cycles as well.

I have killed stuff that was supposed to do 1,000,000 erase cycles NOR with no back blocks in manufacturing expensive not very dense no reason it should not last pretty much forever.

I've just read the article. And I thought those minor compatibility issues when transferring to the WiiU were big problems. When I get a WiiU I definitely won't transfer.
Anybody in the forum has experienced memory failures on the Wii by normal use (no hacking or power failures at writes, no WiiU transfer). I really would like to know how reliable the good old Wii's really are.

Edited on by OMC79

OMC79

DarkEdi

Another question for transfering. If Nintendo quits que Wii shop then if you transfer you can only keep the games in your Wii memory because the SD card doesn´t read your games and you need to download all them of Wii shop but if this service is off line (someday) then your games will be gone forever if you don´t tranfer before the service is gone.

OMC79

DarkEdi wrote:

Another question for transfering. If Nintendo quits que Wii shop then if you transfer you can only keep the games in your Wii memory because the SD card doesn´t read your games and you need to download all them of Wii shop but if this service is off line (someday) then your games will be gone forever if you don´t tranfer before the service is gone.

I think you mean the games that stayed on the Wii when you transferred. Have you tried using a new SD for the Wii instead of trying to use the one you transfered in the WiiU? Maybe the DRM for those games stayed in the original Wii and didn't go to the WiiU. I definitely won't transfer when I get a WiiU. I rather have my Wii or its Flash RAM dead than having those problems, I have the feeling that they may get worse.

Edited on by OMC79

OMC79

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.