Forums

Topic: WiiWare Recommendations Thread

Posts 541 to 560 of 693

SKTTR

I second Flowerworks and the Art Style games - especially CUBELLO and ORBIENT.
CUBELLO is just right for 600pts, ORBIENT and Flowerworks provide more than neccessary for their price point.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

WiiAboutU

These are the WiiWare titles I currently own and would recommend to others.
1) World of Goo
2) Fluidity
3) Max and the Magic Marker
4) Art of Balance
5) And Yet it Moves
6) Bobby Carrot Forever
7) FAST: Racing League

Edited on by WiiAboutU

Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863

OverlordMao

mariofanatic128 wrote:

Can no one answer my kyotokei query?

Kyotokei, while basically an exact clone of Ikaruga, is stil a fairly alright game. It's a good bullet hell game on WiiWare, and it's only 5 bucks. I'd only recommend it if you're a fan of the genre though. Outside of its gameplay, the presentation is really lacking in my opinion. 6/10
Go ahead, if you want it

Why do astronauts backtrack?
They forgot the Space Jump Boots.

WiiAboutU

For anyone who requires many hours of use from their WiiMotes, I would definitely recommend purchasing some Sanyo eneloop AA rechargeable batteries. They hold a charge for over 3 years and can be recharged up to 1500X. A much better alternative compared to anything else currently on the market and 4 AA batteries w/charger only set me back $19.10¢
The rechargeable battery pack I'm currently using only has 500 mAh and the Sanyo's I'll be receiving are 2000 mAh. (<:

Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863

WiiAboutU

I'm a real big fan of the niche puzzler genre and would like to know if "Mr. Driller W" is as fun and addictive as it seems to be. Also, has anyone purchased "Aya and the Cubes of Light" yet? I'd really like to know if it's worth the $10 price tag.

Edited on by WiiAboutU

SKTTR

WiiAboutU wrote:

I'm a real big fan of the niche puzzler genre and would like to know if "Mr. Driller W" is as fun and addictive as it seems to be. Also, has anyone purchased "Aya and the Cubes of Light" yet? I'd really like to know if it's worth the $10 price tag.

I can only speak for Mr. DRILLER DS (Drill Spirits). It is a fairly entertaining (simple but challenging) puzzle game. Thanks to its randomness in the level design you can always come back to it and always get a new challenge (in a way it's like Tetris). I'm still on the fence about the WiiWare version since I already have it on DS and I don't know if the WW version has something exclusive that's not available in the DS version that makes it worth it. Maybe splitscreen multiplayer...? Hm, don't know.

KnucklesSonic8

Personally, I didn't enjoy Mr. Driller W as much as I thought I would. (It was my first time being exposed to the series.) I didn't feel it was worth $8. Others may have more positive things to say about the game, though.

KnucklesSonic8

FonistofCruxis

OverlordMao wrote:

mariofanatic128 wrote:

Can no one answer my kyotokei query?

Kyotokei, while basically an exact clone of Ikaruga, is stil a fairly alright game. It's a good bullet hell game on WiiWare, and it's only 5 bucks. I'd only recommend it if you're a fan of the genre though. Outside of its gameplay, the presentation is really lacking in my opinion. 6/10
Go ahead, if you want it

Is it as hard as Ikaruga? As I said, that game looks too hard for me but I like shmups so I'd like to know how the difficulty is.

WiiAboutU

Thank you @SKTTR, I believe it's a 1-player title. There is a choice of characters and few unlockables available. I've never experienced the series before, so I have no idea how it may differ from the DS version. Hey, why don't you check out the description of the "Mr. Driller W" review on NL and get back to me on it @SKTTR? I'm also a huge fan of the niche puzzler genre @KnucklesSonic8, that's why it also caught my eye. @KnucklesSonic8, why do you feel it wasn't worth $8? I didn't want to spend $6 on Dig Dug, when it was only $2 more. Would you say Dig Dug is worth the import price attached to it?

KnucklesSonic8

Well, let me first say that I really enjoy Dig Dug. I can't really comment on the price since I played it through Namco Museum Remix.

As for Mr. Driller W, compared to other games that are priced at $8, this falls short in terms of content and enjoyment. At least for me. I just couldn't get into it — the game design was to blame I believe. Whatever the reason, I have not returned to that game in a long time. Again, check and see what others say. I don't want to deter you from the game completely since some have expressed how much they love the game. I'm probably in the minority (not the first time), but I didn't enjoy Mr. Driller W.

KnucklesSonic8

SKTTR

WiiAboutU wrote:

Thank you @SKTTR, I believe it's a 1-player title. There is a choice of characters and few unlockables available. I've never experienced the series before, so I have no idea how it may differ from the DS version. Hey, why don't you check out the description of the "Mr. Driller W" review on NL and get back to me on it @SKTTR? I'm also a huge fan of the niche puzzler genre @KnucklesSonic8, that's why it also caught my eye. @KnucklesSonic8, why do you feel it wasn't worth $8? I didn't want to spend $6 on Dig Dug, when it was only $2 more. Would you say Dig Dug is worth the import price attached to it?

Dig Dug is a bit overpriced. 600pts for the NES version.

You're better off buying NAMCO MUSEUM REMIX for Wii (or NAMCO MUSEUM MEGAMIX which is available in North America but not in PAL). There you have Dig Dug and 8 other retro games (original arcade versions!) by Namco, and 5 remakes. 14 games on one compilation (found it for 15 bucks).

Since you're a fan of niche puzzlers you should pay attention to some excellent and innovative ones like everything in the Art Style series and Flowerworks. Also check out Puzzle Quest and Puzzle Kingdoms.

Games included on NAMCO MUSEUM REMIX (Wii):

• 01. Cutie-Q (Arcade)
  • 02. Dig Dug (Arcade)
  • 03. Galaxian (Arcade)
  • 04. Galaga (Remix)
  • 05. Gaplus (Arcade)
  • 06. Gator Panic (Remix)
  • 07. Mappy (Arcade)
  • 08. Pac & Pal (Arcade)
  • 09. Pac'n Roll (Remix)
  • 10. Pac-Mania (Arcade)
  • 11. Pac-Motos (Remix)
  • 12. Rally-X (Remix)
  • 13. Super Pac-Man (Arcade)
  • 14. Xevious (Arcade)

I think NMR was worth it, compared to the prices on the Virtual Console, and because of Pac'n Roll alone, a full port of the DS original that I bought for 35 bucks back in 2006 when the game was new.

As for Mr DRILLER. Check some videos. It's basically the same as the DS version. It is a good game, a classic Namco action-puzzler with an arcade-feel. It's a game to play in short bursts, and I can see myself getting back to it from time to time.

WiiAboutU

Thanks @SKTTR, I'll probably get something else if Mr. D isn't something you'd want to give your all everytime you crack it open. Or did I misinterpret what you ment by short bursts @SKTTR?
On the other hand guys, I did the deed and purchased Aya and the Cubes. I'll let you all know what I think after I've given it a go. (<:

WiiAboutU

I purchased Tetris Party, does anyone here at NL still play this? It's cool if there isn't, I've found active FC at another site. But anyone here at NL is still welcome to reply. (<:

SKTTR

WiiAboutU wrote:

Thanks @SKTTR, I'll probably get something else if Mr. D isn't something you'd want to give your all everytime you crack it open. Or did I misinterpret what you ment by short bursts @SKTTR?
On the other hand guys, I did the deed and purchased Aya and the Cubes. I'll let you all know what I think after I've given it a go. (<:

I meant to say Mr. DRILLER is a game I wouldn't play for hours at a time. When I played this, I tried to beat one round each session. Since this game has some challenging missions later on, it's rewarding enough to beat just one level at a time.

I needed to play something else in between, because the game is quite exciting with digging thousands of metres deep and all those falling blocks coming after you, and it's a little frustrating when something hits you on the head on the last few meters, or when the randomness of the blocks keep you from collecting a lifesaving AIR-item.

WiiAboutU

@SKTTR, if I were to purchase 2000 Wii points, I could download Mr. D and still have 1200 points left. So how would you spend the rest of the points if you were to purchase a VC title/titles? On the other hand, I've been contemplating on Moto Heroz and so I'd have 500 points left. Would you say Kirby's Adventure would be the best choice for overall replay/production value?
Side note: I completed the original Kirby's Dreamland way back in '92, so I would enjoy experiencing the second installment in the series. (<:

Edited on by WiiAboutU

KnucklesSonic8

As fun as it is, there are VC games with more replay value than Kirby's Adventure IMO.

KnucklesSonic8

WiiAboutU

There's an NES title with more replay/production value than Kirby's Adventure? I ment in the 500 point range @KnucklesSonic8. Sorry, I geuss I wasn't clear enough. (<:

SKTTR

WiiAboutU wrote:

@SKTTR, if I were to purchase 2000 Wii points, I could download Mr. D and still have 1200 points left. So how would you spend the rest of the points if you were to purchase a VC title/titles? On the other hand, I've been contemplating on Moto Heroz and so I'd have 500 points left. Would you say Kirby's Adventure would be the best choice for overall replay/production value?
Side note: I completed the original Kirby's Dreamland way back in '92, so I would enjoy experiencing the second installment in the series. (<:

I'd buy MotoHeroz because that's one I'm interested in, plus I don't have it in any other form (unlike Mr. DRILLER which I have on DS).

Kirby's Adventure is a good 500pts spend, but I like Kirby's Dreamland 3 (SNES, 800/900pts) and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (1000pts) much more. My Kirby games need to be colorful, and the NES version is lacking in that regard. The SNES and N64 sequels have more puzzles, secrets, levels, challenges, and multiplayer (co-op and minigames respectively) on top of that. That said, Kirby (NES) is still good value for 500pts. Gets a 7/10 from me. The other two (KDL3 and K64TCS) are 8/10. And do I need to talk about Kirby's Fun Pak aka Super Star which is the best Kirby game for most? It's my favourite too (9/10). So that's 3 Kirby games on the VC I would recommend over Kirby's Adventure.

I would recommend other 500 pts games over Kirby's Adventure too. The 3 Master System Wonder Boy games (500pts) are great platformer-adventure series. Especially WB3: The Dragon's Trap. It's one of the best 500pts I've ever spent in the Wii Shop.

Since you like niche puzzlers, I have some unique personal favs I like to recommend to you, like Wrecking Crew (100 stages + level editor), Wario's Woods (100 levels + multiplayer), Solomon's Key (NES/Arcade puzzle platformer with 50 stages and unlimited continues). They're all quite unique and have lots of content that makes those 500pts seem like a bargain.

Also I found both StarTropics games shouldn't be passed up by action-adventure fans. They're just 500pts each after all and they were (each) worth a week of challenge, exploring and adventuring.
The only thing I feel needs a mention are the final bosses in the StarTropics and Wonder Boy games: They can be pretty difficult.

And before I forget: Kid Icarus, a platformer/adventure I never played before, but came to love when I downloaded it on the Wii. It's difficult in the beginning but gets easier as you equip new stuff and get stronger.

I'd get MotoHeroz instead of Mr. DRILLER W. And for the 500pts I'd try one of the Wonder Boy's or Solomon's Key if one of these appeal to you.

With the latest WiiWare removals, I'd buy WiiWare games first - you never know if they're going to delete Mr. DRILLER tomorrow. It's a pain lately to set up gaming money priorities.

I know you have Max&the Magic Marker, And Yet It Moves, World of Goo and other games, but what about NyxQuest? LostWinds 1&2? Phoenix Wright 123? FFCC My Life as a King? Bonsai Barber, Flowerworks, Art Styles, Excitebike World Rally, Cave Story?
Have you tried any of these? All remarkable experiences for me and there's still more I'd recommend. Later. After you catch-up on a few of these.

WiiAboutU

What's Kirby Super Star all about @SKTTR? I've been contemplating Moto Heroz, but I've been informed that it's enjoyable, but not worth the premium price tag attached to it. There's something about the Wonder Boy titles that's a turn off for me. I also have Kid Icuras in my VC collection. So if I did purchase Moto Heroz, I'd most likely press for Kirby's Adventure. Wrecking crew seems a little too simple for me. I've played the freeware version of Cave Story, but never put too much effort into it though. So I'm still a little undecided here.

Edited on by WiiAboutU

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic