WiiWare Forum

Topic: Was WiiWare a Flop?

Showing 21 to 40 of 117

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BenAV

21. Posted:

accc wrote:

Wiiware is a great service with a ton of great games, but Nintendo needs to figure out a way to get people to actually pay attention to the good stuff that gets released instead of automatically assuming every game is trash. Same with DSiWare.

Agreed.
There's plenty of great stuff out there, like I discovered by researching which DSiWare games to buy... but it's all a matter of knowing what good games there are out there.
When a new WiiWare game comes out it's easy to just assume it's going to be some random trash that nobody would want.
They need to find better ways at helping people find these good titles.

My Colors! 3D Gallery

3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ToadFan

22. Posted:

Link245 wrote:

Yes, there were some good titles, but they seemed to be overlooked. Multiplatform titles were generally downloaded on other platforms. Also, I think App Store was another problem.

Um why would a mobile device be a problem to a living room device again? _

It's like saying that DS is the problem of the Wii.

Or the Saumsung Galaxy Tab is hurting the XBOX 360.

Now if you were saying App Store was a threat to DSiWare I would see your point. But WiiWare, No..

Please have some common sense next time you post.

ToadFan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JusticeColde

23. Posted:

Yes, It really never catched My interest too much (I only have 2 WiiWare games as shown on My backloggery) and a lot of crappy games ended up on WiiWare, Which really dragged it down IMO.

Watch my stuffs
250 games and counting
Follow me to fun

Nintendo Network ID: JusticeColde | Twitter: JusticeColde

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

24. Posted:

well I bought more Wiiware than XBLA games it must have done something right (and by something, I mean somehow got the best game of 2008, World of Goo)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JeanLuc_Vaycard

25. Posted:

JusticeColde wrote:

Yes, It really never catched My interest too much (I only have 2 WiiWare games as shown on My backloggery) and a lot of crappy games ended up on WiiWare, Which really dragged it down IMO.

You have two games and can claim there is a lot of crap on the service? You have experienced next to nothing on the service.

THERE... ARE... 4 LIGHTS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSn2JuDQSc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Malouff

26. Posted:

I would say that the Wii Shop was a flop and Nintendo's setup and promotion of it.
However, there were some very good WiiWare games.

The points system prevented me from getting more games.
I hated to buy a block of points and have leftovers that just sit there.

Not only that but the Wii Shop is not very organized to find a game unless you know the category or name.
Because of this, I would usually look here at Nintendo Life at the games out now and sort by reviews.

Not only that but I have recently learned that they have been removing games such as The Magic Obelisk

PSN: TimMalouff - Wii FC: 8857 8848 6453 6344 Region USA
Have an extra PSN LEGO: Marvel Superheroes Super Pack DLC Code for trade.

Twitter: malouff

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Omega

27. Posted:

I've bought 24 WiiWare titles so far and enjoyed most of them. So, was WiiWare a flop? No. Not for me. - I would even say WiiWare and Virtual Console were the two most interesting things on the Wii that have distinguished the Wii from the Gamecube. And they are the reason why I originally visited this web site (then known as "WiiWare World" and "VC Reviews").

Edited on by Omega

Ωɱɛɡɑ

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TwilightPoint

28. Posted:

I don't think so.
I enjoyed the WiiWare service and the games.
I bought 11 WiiWare titles and loved all of them and there are still titles I want to buy.

TwilightPoint

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chris720

29. Posted:

WiiWare had some really good games, the problem is it also got over-run with shallow, repetitive and boring games which, personally, brought the whole service crashing down, couple this together with the appauling search function and you get a shopping experience that's annoying to use and over-run with rubbish games.

WiiWare has some amazing games, don't get me wrong, but the problem is finding those games. It's a lot like trying to find a gem amongst a whole buncha cow crap, eventually you'll get there but sifting through the fail takes a while. The only way to know if there are any good games on the service is to come to sites like this and have demos, unfortunately demos came and they went.

DSiWare didn't fair any better either, it was slow loading, the search didn't work and there is a TON of rubbish on the service. It's the exact same with WiiWare, having to sift through it all is boring and half-way through you just give up.

But was WiiWare a flop... I wouldn't say no, but I wouldn't say yes either. Nintendo could've done a lot more with it than this, I've bought quite a fair few WiiWare games, but getting to them can take a while and with the help of Nintendo Life I eventually got there and got some right little gems.

Edited on by Chris720

This thread beats all other threads
My Unfinishedloggery of Games | Google+

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0642-9960 | Nintendo Network ID: Chris720

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BenAV

30. Posted:

xDemon720x wrote:

WiiWare had some really good games, the problem is it also got over-run with shallow, repetitive and boring games which, personally, brought the whole service crashing down, couple this together with the appauling search function and you get a shopping experience that's annoying to use and over-run with rubbish games.

WiiWare has some amazing games, don't get me wrong, but the problem is finding those games. It's a lot like trying to find a gem amongst a whole buncha cow crap, eventually you'll get there but sifting through the fail takes a while. The only way to know if there are any good games on the service is to come to sites like this and have demos, unfortunately demos came and they went.

DSiWare didn't fair any better either, it was slow loading, the search didn't work and there is a TON of rubbish on the service. It's the exact same with WiiWare, having to sift through it all is boring and half-way through you just give up.

Yeah.
I had very few DSiWare games on my DSi for this very reason, but now I have many on my 3DS because they made it a lot easier to search around and find which games are actually worth downloading.
Hopefully it'll be the same story with WiiWare.
Right now it's so hard to find out if any games are actually worth the trouble that most people probably don't really bother with the service at all... But if all the WiiWare titles get transfered over to the Wii U's shop, which I'm assuming will have better search and rating features, etc. then it could provoke a lot of people to finally give some of the hidden gems a crack.

My Colors! 3D Gallery

3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Il-Fortissimo

31. Posted:

BenAV wrote:

xDemon720x wrote:

WiiWare had some really good games, the problem is it also got over-run with shallow, repetitive and boring games which, personally, brought the whole service crashing down, couple this together with the appauling search function and you get a shopping experience that's annoying to use and over-run with rubbish games.

WiiWare has some amazing games, don't get me wrong, but the problem is finding those games. It's a lot like trying to find a gem amongst a whole buncha cow crap, eventually you'll get there but sifting through the fail takes a while. The only way to know if there are any good games on the service is to come to sites like this and have demos, unfortunately demos came and they went.

DSiWare didn't fair any better either, it was slow loading, the search didn't work and there is a TON of rubbish on the service. It's the exact same with WiiWare, having to sift through it all is boring and half-way through you just give up.

Yeah.
I had very few DSiWare games on my DSi for this very reason, but now I have many on my 3DS because they made it a lot easier to search around and find which games are actually worth downloading.
Hopefully it'll be the same story with WiiWare.
Right now it's so hard to find out if any games are actually worth the trouble that most people probably don't really bother with the service at all... But if all the WiiWare titles get transfered over to the Wii U's shop, which I'm assuming will have better search and rating features, etc. then it could provoke a lot of people to finally give some of the hidden gems a crack.

I agree with all of this. Also important to notice how it wasn't available immediately. Originally, WiiWare referred to the Internet Channel and Everybody Votes Channel and such, then it changed. Because WiiWare games were not available from the get-go they tried to slip it in, but it didn't work with a lot of people.

Plus, most the WiiWare games are little bursts of action. You know, stuff I can play on the Internet. Like, when I sit down and want to Wii it out, I wanna do some Mario Galaxy or Brawl or Fire Emblem or Zelda or some CONSOLE game.

It's like Nintendo was playing catch-up, in a sense.

This Super Mario Sunshine avatar clearly illustrates how I'm feeling.

I actually own a few Pianta outfits at home.

Examining magical paintbrushes is one of my hobbies.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

pntjr

32. Posted:

Here's what happened:
PSN gets announced. Me gets exited for PS online.
XBL gets announced. Me gets exited for XB online.
WiiWare announced. Me is so very, very, dissapointed.

So in my eyes, yes, WIiWare WAS a flop.

WiiWare and DSiWare should have some connectivity or something. Like PSN on PS3 and PSP.

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter: pntjrx

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ImDiggerDan

33. Posted:

WiiWare wasn't a flop in my opinion based on the fact that I got Hydroventure (Fluidity) from it and consider that to be one of the best games I've ever played. Without the service, I might never have got that game.

Don't get me wrong, the service is pretty rubbish in it's execution, but that doesn't make it a flop, just a pain to use.

Author of Digger Dan DSiWare.
Coming very soon to Nintendo 3DS via the eShop.
www.diggerdan.co.uk

Twitter: MickW8s

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

34. Posted:

ImDiggerDan wrote:

WiiWare wasn't a flop in my opinion based on the fact that I got Hydroventure (Fluidity) from it and consider that to be one of the best games I've ever played. Without the service, I might never have got that game.

Don't get me wrong, the service is pretty rubbish in it's execution, but that doesn't make it a flop, just a pain to use.

Personally I would have rathered the (very) few talented developers that did bother with WiiWare to make the money that they deserved for their ideas.

From the developer point of view surely WiiWare was an utterly embarrasing failure.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ImDiggerDan

35. Posted:

Well, I personally didn't put a WiiWare game out and don't know what sort of returns my employers got from WiiWare so cannot comment on that.

Author of Digger Dan DSiWare.
Coming very soon to Nintendo 3DS via the eShop.
www.diggerdan.co.uk

Twitter: MickW8s

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

36. Posted:

ImDiggerDan wrote:

Well, I personally didn't put a WiiWare game out and don't know what sort of returns my employers got from WiiWare so cannot comment on that.

Just by looking at marketshare it's difficult to imagine too many devs rolled in cash after a WiiWare release.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

Corbs

37. Posted:

When I think of games like World of Goo, the BIT.TRIP series, Cave Story, NyxQuest, Frobot, Art of Balance, and Fluidity, I certainly don't think of a flop. Now did it have a lot of crap, yep. But there were some amazing games available on the service as well. :D

Having said that, Xbox Live Arcade is still by far and away my favorite digital download service, by a significant margin, in fact. :D

Edited on by Corbs

Retro Editor, Nintendo Life
Vita Editor, Push Square

AuthorMessage
Avatar

James

38. Posted:

Muscle March.

I am not ignoring you. I just do not post much.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JayArr

39. Posted:

If you sprinkle a few diamonds on a pile of poo it still stinks.

WiiWare was a flop. u_u

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

AuthorMessage
Avatar

John-John

40. Posted:

If it was easier to use, not so messy, then it'd be decent. Due to its lack of streamlinedness, it was subpar.

John-John