Forums

Topic: The end all, be all, super-ultra Cave Story mega thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 254

Kingbuilder

Unlockable modes, new tracks, glitches removed, text revised, sound quality enhanced. Nicalis really went all out on this update! Seriously, this game is more than worth a purchase.

@Vonseus : Brawl = #1, and Ocarina of Time = #3

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

romulux

holy crap, this update is awesome. i tested the old music, and in addition to fixing the looping problems and stuttering when going through doors they also fixed the mono downmixing. i didn't know if the original music had been compressed like that out of necessity or what, so i'm glad to see it was just another glitch. sounds every bit as good as the pc version now in stereo.

now, time to finally give the new music a try...

(by the way, balrog still says "oh yeah!")

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

seed

I dont have the game dowloaded yet, if I buy it like today i already get the fixed version?

Wii Friend Code: 8565 6330 4313 6069
Mario kart FC: 1033 - 1932 - 9476
TV show King 2 FC: 3824 9774 9849

irken004

seed wrote:

I dont have the game dowloaded yet, if I buy it like today i already get the fixed version?

Yep, it should use the latest version.

romulux

even if it doesn't, it'll take all of a minute to update it.

kkslider5552000

Ok, I need an answer.

Why does a game that was made by ONE PERSON that is remade by a ton more people (unless I'm mistaken about that) have an unusually high number of glitches, that weren't in the original, that many people have noticed and aren't fixed for 7 months? Despite the game having been delayed before? As the most anti-fanwhining person around, I just wonder, "what the hell man?"

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

romulux

nicalis said they wanted to test it before release but were repeatedly denied, presumably by nintendo, so... take it up with them.

kkslider5552000

Fair enough I guess? Only real explanation I've heard, even if I don't really believe it all that much.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

romulux

well they didn't have to patch it. they're not earning money on it and it probably took a fair amount of time away from the other games they're busy with. whatever the problem was, they're fully redeemed for finally getting a perfect version up in my eyes. looking at the final product, they really did an amazing job

Rensch

According to MobyGames.com, Cave Story is currently the number 1 highest rated game off al time by it's users.

What's up with that? I love Cave Story, but it sits ABOVE Ocarina of Time!

http://www.mobygames.com/stats/top_games

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

SwerdMurd

@Rensch - that's cause It's My Birthday hasn't come out yet.

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

romulux

Rensch wrote:

According to MobyGames.com, Cave Story is currently the number 1 highest rated game off al time by it's users.
I love Cave Story, but it sits ABOVE Ocarina of Time!

where it belongs. although i do question the validity of any list that doesn't even have super metroid in the top 20.

LzWinky

romulux wrote:

nicalis said they wanted to test it before release but were repeatedly denied, presumably by nintendo, so... take it up with them.

I don't buy that Nintendo wouldn't let a developer test their own game

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

romulux

i'm just passing along what the composer said-

"Nicklas and me have [asked many times] to sound check the game, but that’s not really something we had control over."
http://tinycartridge.com/post/469336063/cave-story-wiiwares-j...

this is their first game and they were working really hard to get it right, not just for their company's sake but because cave story is a game they really love, so i don't think these glitches are due to apathy on their part of anything like that. the fact that they went back and corrected them shows that they aren't willing to accept a flawed version of their game, so when they say they didn't know it was buggy at release i believe them.

HolyMackerel

Cave Story updated, woo woo!

Nicalis definitely must have tested the game before submitting it to Nintendo. Testing is an integral part of game development. What probably happened was Nintendo required that the version submitted (probably on a deadline) was the complete version. No more testing or changes allowed. This means they may have rushed testing some parts of the game in order to meet that deadline.

It does make me wonder though, how they released it with something as hugely off as no drums in the soundtrack. The sound errors are probably because the musicians were not given access to the game to test out sound mixing and music correctness. The programmers probably just popped in the completed sounds and music with abandon, so to speak, but didn't know how it should sound overall because they weren't the sound producers.

HolyMackerel

Philip_J_Reed

THE UPDATE DID INDEED FIX THE OUTER WALL DOOR GLITCH YAY

So glad. Now I can finally devote the time to getting all that hidden stuff without having to worry about the game crashing. So far I've rescued Curly and got the Nemesis, two things I didn't do on my first pass. I wonder if I'm going to be able to handle Hell...

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Odnetnin

You're a much better gamer than I, Chicken, but the Blood-Stained Sanctuary is still amazingly difficult. I played it once again this morning and regrettably had to stop after maybe a dozen or so deaths.

EDIT: How can you listen to the entire soundtrack on the menu? I heard it was possible.

Edited on by Odnetnin

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

romulux

press 'a' on the CC or i think '1' on the remote while highlighting the 'new' or 'old' option for music. a song from a random point in the game will start and you can press left or right to hear the alternate version, or keep pushing A to move on to the next.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.