Forums

Topic: The end all, be all, super-ultra Cave Story mega thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 254

Scottie

Please sort the bugs and come to Europe asap . . .

Scottie

Digiki

Sure a patch is good, but these glitches are being blown way out of proportion. Without percussion the music still sounds great, and there's the old music anyways. The percussion would be nice but few people would've noticed the music isn't complete without the vocal complaints of the few. I played through the game 3 times without a crash, the glitches are obscure and achieved through pointless actions.

Edit: Straightforward games don't require maps, the only use it has is in the Sand Zone, for panties and the doggy. Aside from that it's unneeded, and easily forgotten.

Edited on by Digiki

pikku

how many guns are there total?

pikku

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1165-2008 | Nintendo Network ID: pikmaniac

romulux

Digiki wrote:

The percussion would be nice but few people would've noticed the music isn't complete without the vocal complaints of the few.

how many people complained about how the new music wasn't as good, sounded flat, was missing something, ect., before news on the glitch even got out? i think there are moments where you can tell something is off even without knowing the technical issues. the most obvious is when you first get to the plantation and the cave story theme plays; without any backing instruments it just sounds odd, especially after hearing the same song sounding awesome with all it's drums at the startup page. if you don't pay attention it'll sound fine, but if you're one of the people who knew the original game by heart it's really hard to ignore. switching to the original music doesn't fix the problems either.

for most people the game is still functional otherwise, but just because it didn't freeze for you or me doesn't mean the problem is irrelevant. to those people couldn't get past the wall i'm sure it was a big deal. tyrone repeatedly said cave story is his favorite game and that he wanted to make sure they got it right, so it's a big deal to him as well as the composer whose music was cut in half. the fact that they're patching the EU version is proof enough that they don't want the fans to have to just ignore the issues and accept the game as is.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Philip_J_Reed

Digiki wrote:

Sure a patch is good, but these glitches are being blown way out of proportion. [...] I played through the game 3 times without a crash, the glitches are obscure and achieved through pointless actions.

Once again, the major game-breaking glitch (you know, the one that prevents you from even seeing the final third of the game you paid for) is triggered by walking through a necessary door. There is no other optional path you can take instead. Unless you consider the desire to play a game you spent money on a "pointless action," this doesn't qualify.

The fact that it wasn't triggered for you (or for many others) speaks to the necessity of a patch. If one group of gamers can walk through the door and not have the game crash, and another group--performing the same action--has to hard-reboot their system and start again, then it's not an avoidable problem. There's nothing conditional about it; it affects a group of players who aren't doing anything "obscure" or "pointless," no matter how many times you want to toss those words into the debate.

Step back for a second and look at the issue. The patch exists, and some folks say they would like to see it be applied to the NA release. That's all they're saying. Unless you begrudge them their desire to play the game uninterrupted (and you make it clear that you don't) then I'm not sure what point you're even trying to make.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

jbrodack

Just because you played through without a glitch doesn't mean the others are making it up. The nicalis forums had a very detailed list of bugs encountered and general problems though seems they are down now. I'm not going to buy cave story at least until I hear of the intention to patch the NA version. Stuff like "huzzah" might be nit picking but there seems to be a flood of legitimate complaints. People tend to overreact when there is a bug like with some of the bit.trip games but the reaction against bugs for this seems reasonable.

Its a great game and and enhanced version of a great game at that so many are able to look past bugs but you can't fault those who want to experience this great game without anything interfering with it.

wii code: 2630-2655-0027-8482
onslaught friend code: 1977-7779-8949
bomberman blast: 1634 2282 0930

Digiki

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

The fact that it wasn't triggered for you (or for many others) speaks to the necessity of a patch. If one group of gamers can walk through the door and not have the game crash, and another group--performing the same action--has to hard-reboot their system and start again, then it's not an avoidable problem. There's nothing conditional about it; it affects a group of players who aren't doing anything "obscure" or "pointless," no matter how many times you want to toss those words into the debate.

Step back for a second and look at the issue. The patch exists, and some folks say they would like to see it be applied to the NA release. That's all they're saying. Unless you begrudge them their desire to play the game uninterrupted (and you make it clear that you don't) then I'm not sure what point you're even trying to make.

The point was that many of the complaints are overblown, it was a somewhat poor spot that I entered the topic.

I'm not sure what glitch you're speaking of, is it not the Outer Wall one that supposedly pops up when the map is used?

I'm not aware of this game killing one.

Edited on by Digiki

romulux

so according to tyrone the european version is done, but nicalis is wisely testing it themselves this time before submitting it to nintendo. assuming they've got it fixed it should be released very soon, so good news for europe and hopefully the US.

Ravage

Yeah, I'm holding off on getting it until I know exactly how serious it is. Does this bug occur every time, or can you just reboot the Wii and try again?

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

Philip_J_Reed

Ravage wrote:

Yeah, I'm holding off on getting it until I know exactly how serious it is. Does this bug occur every time, or can you just reboot the Wii and try again?

A lot of folks don't get the bug at all, which is the strange thing. But if you DO get it, prepare for some serious frustration. You can't just go back to the Wii menu and start the game again...you need to get up, hard power down your Wii, boot it back up, re-enter the game, load your save, then fight your way all the way back to the door in question. (Not difficult, but long and with enough platforming involved that you can't make it these quickly or mindlessly.) Then prepare to do it all over again when the door glitches up once more.

For me, it couldn't have been less than 30 times that damn thing crashed on me, over the course of a few days. And I'm not including the one time that I decided to start a new save file and play the game over from the beginning to see if that would help. (Spoiler: it didn't.)

A friend of mine got the same glitch, but was lucky enough to pass it with only four or five hard reboots.

It's a great game, but that glitch is preventing me from wanting to play again.

Again though, full disclosure: lots of folks don't get the glitch at all. It's just that the ones who do tend to get upset and vocal about it.

Edited on by Philip_J_Reed

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Kingbuilder

I just saw this video today for a game that is an epic tribute to Cave Story. I hope the creator didn't drop the idea, because this game looks amazing.

What are your thoughts?

P.S. The song at the end is hilarious.

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

romulux

twitter again:
"Australia WILL have Cave Story on WiiWare along with the rest of Europe. The new music (.org and remixed) sound AWESOME now!"

so whether he means they fixed the bugs or had to mix new music to get it to work, it apparently won't suck this time. huzzah!

Scottie

Please come to the EU any ideas when anyone?

Scottie

Adam

I've been looking forward to that game forever, King Builder. It looks like Cave Story but even bigger and better, and certainly much funnier. The demo is quite good. Too bad he never gives any idea of how much progress he's made, so it's hard to guess if this is going to be one of the hundreds of indie games that looks amazing and just never gets finished.

Anyone know if there's been an update on the game crashing bug? The only reason I wanted to get it on Wii was so I could finally get the third ending, but if it crashes before the secret area, I'm not interested.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Digiki

That vid looks awesome. I can't really say much aside from how it looks to be a complete evolution, and I like it. It looks a bit to quick for comfort though, but I'll assume it doesn't play exactly like that.

romulux

cave story has been rated for australia and now nicalis is waiting for pegi to rate it for europe, which means they must be done fixing it. with any luck it should be released within a couple of months.

http://twitter.com/nicalis

Sean_Aaron

Whee! Now all I need to come out here is Blaster Master Overdrive and I'll have all the ketchup I need.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.