Forums

Topic: The end all, be all, super-ultra Cave Story mega thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 254

Scryble

Question Time!

While I was viewing the Cave Story Wiiware end credits, I believe I saw Kyle Gabler's (Co-creator of World of Goo) name appear in "Character Design" header. Is this news, important, or am I just out of the loop?

Scryble

Kingbuilder

I need some help, guys.

I'm in Labyrinth W, and I saved the professor and got the 0.8 Booster. What do I do now?

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

romulux

have you helped curly yet? i'm assuming you're stuck at a boulder that you can't move. you need to visit her at the clinic and make sure she's well in order to get help moving it.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Kingbuilder

Ah yeah. I found out a few hours later. Took me a few hours pacing back and forth through the level, looking for Curly, and wondering if I had screwed up the game. Thanks anyway.

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

romulux

a lot of people have complained about that, that if you miss a single detail it can derail the game for you. i don't think it's a fault, the way the game unfolds through story has a charm to it. you just have to make sure you're really paying attention

Kingbuilder

So, I just tried the original Cave Story soundtrack and it had some amazing songs, and so did the new, so that got me thinking. Shouldn't we be able to mix new soundtracks with the original soundtracks?

EX: new Sand Zone music, original Mimiga Village music...

0-Watt

Kingbuilder wrote:

I need some help, guys.

I'm in Labyrinth W, and I saved the professor and got the 0.8 Booster. What do I do now?

Erm, you didn't save the professor if you got the 0.8 Booster. In fact, for some reason it does the opposite.

Meanwhile I'm at the Sanctuary. I say the difficulty curve becomes vertical here :< I'll never beat this.

Oh and the OST is on Youtube, if you wanna hear the differences. Some are really good. If they get percussion in there, I think we have a great contender.

Edited on by 0-Watt

Xkhaoz

Man, I really want the WiiWare version. Ah well. /me goes to play PC version

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xkhaoz

TwilightV

I lost 10HP before I got to the Sanctuary... that room after the first keeps draining me... XP

TwilightV

Leshclen

Take a rest in the prefab building and save then. I had to replay the game 4 times to finally make it to Sacred Grounds because I kept messing up.

Dah, this will work.

argus

I've been playing this game for the first time on Wiiware. I love retro platformers (see my avatar), but this game just hasn't hooked me yet. So, I have to ask... does it get better? I'm at the waterway, and I just got the ability to breathe underwater. I've been playing on normal difficulty.

I hate to say it, but so far this game just feels overhyped. Of course, it looks and sounds great. I've been switching back and forth between the old and new visuals/audio, and I love both of them. But the gameplay just seems very "average" to me... it's alright, but there's nothing special about it. I can't help but wonder if all the hype for this game is because of the aesthetics.

I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I'm not trying to troll. I'm just wondering if it gets better, because I don't know if I should bother continuing. Is this one of those games where the second half is better than the first half?

argus

ejamer

argus wrote:

I've been playing this game for the first time on Wiiware. I love retro platformers (see my avatar), but this game just hasn't hooked me yet. So, I have to ask... does it get better? I'm at the waterway, and I just got the ability to breathe underwater. I've been playing on normal difficulty.

Hmm... My feeling is that Cave Story does continue to improve as you get closer to the end, and you've already played far enough that getting to the (normal) ending won't require a much larger investment. It's probably worth finishing the game if only to say you've done it.

Of course, that is a biased opinion. I rather like the game -- the old-school action/platform design appeals to me, as do the weapon switching, many hidden surprises and secrets, multiple endings to discovery, and just the overall story. If you've played into the game as far as you describe and still aren't impressed even a little bit, then maybe this just isn't the right match for your gaming preferences.

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

romulux

guess what, europeans. you're getting an update:
(nicalis twitter) "we're still working on final fixes for the EU version of Cave Story so hang on."

yes, just a few more years and those final fixes will be nearly done. now send some of that patch goodness to the states...

GeminiSaint

So, basically, we (USA gamers) were Nicalis' free beta testers... ¬_¬

Edited on by GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint

romulux

yep. but after the EU release they'll have a finished, bug free version sitting around and i doubt they'll neglect to give it to the US. there's a precedent for updating wiiware games (for comparatively frivolous reasons) so i don't think nintendo or nicalis will leave a version full of game killing bugs up when it'd probably take little effort to replace it with the fixed version.
i'm pretty sure their priority now is getting it to europe rather than making the US release right, so it probably won't be for months, but as long as they update it i'll be happy. i really want to give the new music a chance.

Digiki

romulux wrote:

i don't think nintendo or nicalis will leave a version full of game killing bugs up when it'd probably take little effort to replace it with the fixed version.

Or minor bugs that happen when you do obscure, needless things.

romulux

plenty of people have stated that the game repeatedly crashes on them without having to do anything in particular. that's no minor bug. when the entirety of a game's soundtrack is ruined by a glitch i'd also consider that to be a pretty bad problem. nicalis thought these bugs were bad enough that they immediately got to work fixing the EU version, so they apparently agree. i don't see what's wrong with receiving a patch to fix these problems.

Philip_J_Reed

Digiki wrote:

romulux wrote:

i don't think nintendo or nicalis will leave a version full of game killing bugs up when it'd probably take little effort to replace it with the fixed version.

Or minor bugs that happen when you do obscure, needless things.

Since the major game-breaking bug (when encountered) is triggered by going through a door necessary to see the entire final third of the game, you and I must have very different definitions of the word "needless." And "obscure."

I think we're in agreement on "things," though. At least.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

ejamer

I'm not sure that "plenty of people" is accurate. I've heard an incredibly small number of legit complaints about crashing, but that's a big bug even if it only affects a few people. Hopefully North America will get the fixes eventually!

That said, I've already gotten enough enjoyment from the game to justify my purchase. Now if only I could get through that section with killer difficulty just before the (real) final boss!

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.