Forums

Topic: Pearl Harbor: Red Sun Rising Impressions

Posts 141 to 160 of 273

pianoman

Downloaded today. The overall gaming experience isn´t bad, but too far from SUPERB. You can fly with nunchak which emulates the stick, but the problem is with the positioning of the nunchak in your hand during flight and maneuvres. Real stick isn´t controlled by wrist twisting - that´s what is far from reality. The sound is fine, the graphics not so well - occassional stuttering above detailed terrain (component cable) is definitely letdown. Lack of ground details in many locations. Lack of details regarding airstrips. You can lower the gear + slow the airplane and land, but not with flaps down - flaps are missing too... On screen flight instruments are completely missing. I know they aren´t important but still I would like to know what is my indicated airspeed and altitude. Because the indicated airspeed is missing, it is very difficult to know when the aircraft will stall - which is bothering in combat (per example during intentional spins during close combat). Next problem is the AI in dogfight mode - they fly like butterfly and they are everywhere - too close, too low, too high and mainly: too many. The AI in campaign mode is much better because you can follow your opponent - which isn´t the case in dogfight (stand alone) mode. I know it isn´t flight simulator, it´s an arcade game, but some more "life like" features and it could be a blast! What I would like to see in next installments?

-on screen displays (speed, altitude)
-or at least spare 3D cockpit
-flaps
-more details on the ground
-better airport environment
-nunchak positioning (forward/backward motion instead of wrist motion)
-better AI in dogfight mode
-less airplanes in the air
-on_line dogfight mode

... still it would be great if someone could release a simplified flight simulator. for Wii (nunchak + remote). One location (let´s say some nice island with some airports), one or two small airplanes (Cessna 172 with "sacred six" instruments). Even with the automated coordinated flight, it could be amazing, especially in online mode, just for fun, just for a flying pleasure.

Edited on by pianoman

pianoman

eripmav

+1 CoffeewithGames, that's me:)

Thank you, I appreciate that. It's been a hard few months but we're finally finished with Ep1 and I'm really glad that you guys are enjoying it. I bought it for my son today, though he doesn't think it's cool that I'm listed in the credits!

eripmav

eripmav

@Piano, I think you hit the nail on the head. If someone released a SIM, Pearl's not a sim in any way, shape or form. It's an arcade shooter. By adding more complexities like controlling the plane's flaps etc, it'd just overcomplicate things and that's not something we wanted to do.

eripmav

Flandy

eripmav wrote:

+1 CoffeewithGames, that's me:)

Thank you, I appreciate that. It's been a hard few months but we're finally finished with Ep1 and I'm really glad that you guys are enjoying it. I bought it for my son today, though he doesn't think it's cool that I'm listed in the credits!

It's cool in our eyes

Flandy

Philip_J_Reed

eripmav wrote:

I bought it for my son today, though he doesn't think it's cool that I'm listed in the credits!

Start listing me in the credits. He'll think that's awesome, I promise.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Oregano

To the people that have played this would you recommend it to someone who doesn't play many vehicle/flight shooters and the most experience form the genre comes from BWii and Wii Sports Resort?

I was kind of apathetic towards the game until I saw it on the Nintendo channel weekly update thing and went 'wow! nice water!'.

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

Aviator

eripmav wrote:

I bought it for my son today, though he doesn't think it's cool that I'm listed in the credits!

You bought it?? Why not get it for free.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Toadhall

Had to drop in and say this game is sooooo addictive. The game is so punishing yet I want to play it again and again. My only regret is I finished the American campaign too soon. Now I'm taking my own sweet time with the Japanese campaign so I don't run out of missions too fast!

I really hope the game does well enough so that we get the rest of the installments! And after we're done with the Pearl Harbor Trilogy, perhaps the European Theatre pls?

Toadhall

pianoman

Hi guys,
I´ve changed my mind just a bit. I´ve fiddled with cables and because of jagged edges (especially on 3D plane models - COMPONENT CABLE) I decided to use SCART - RGB connection and lower resolution (576i - 50 Hz). Pearl Harbor looks much better now... Some games looks great on usual TV screen instead of HD TV screen options with component cable. Of course, it is a bit blurred, but autogen and 3D models of airplanes looks much better, so I must confirm this game really rocks! Still: would like to see more features (see my first comments), but as a combat flying arcade game, this one is the best for Wii! 5 Missions completed and the campaign mode is really very nice indeed. Also: the sky effects changes (sunset, sunrise, fair weather/overcast) and the water (wow!) looks really good on Wii, and yes, I can recommend this title to casual players too.

pianoman

pianoman

eripmav wrote:

@Piano, I think you hit the nail on the head. If someone released a SIM, Pearl's not a sim in any way, shape or form. It's an arcade shooter. By adding more complexities like controlling the plane's flaps etc, it'd just overcomplicate things and that's not something we wanted to do.

Agreed: I just wanted to say, that Wii remote + nunchak is a very good and relaxed combination for flying on Wii, so I would like to see more attempts regarding airplanes and flying on Wii. ;-]

pianoman

Bassman_Q

Just a thought on future instalments: maybe an HP gauge that shows how much HP u have. Cuz I just dont like the feeling of not knowing how much more bullets I can take.

Bassman_Q

Nintendo Network ID: QwikStix42

eripmav

Well I'll say this, if you do have suggestions the guys are listening. So all's welcome. They're getting an idea of what to do (if we sell enough of course) for Ep2.

@Piano Yes, SD televisions are nature's anti-aliasing:) Games do generally look better when at an SD resolution compared to an HD LCD/Plasma box. I'm really glad that you like it. If only Nintendo would life the limit on the sizing somewhat, we could squeeze in so much more!
@ToadHall thank you, good to see you're finding our game addictive!

@CB I'm sure he'd be totally impressed but only in the fact that you live in Florida, his favourite place in the world!

@Aviator The only way I'd be able to get it free is if the guys gifted me a copy, I don't have a debug at home as of yet to run code on. Still, it all helps to push the sales up a tad and 700 points is nothing. I've had something daft like 7,000 points sat on my Wii for over a year and I've not done anything with them!

@Oregano I think you should ultimately look at what the guys here have said. I don't want to make your mind up for you, the difficulty curve is tricky but once you get used to the control scheme of your choice etc, you'll have alot of fun and will soon be chomping at the bit for a follow up ep!

eripmav

CoffeeWithGames

If anybody is on the fence and wants to know more about the game, I just put together a "Video Preview" of the game.
http://coffeewithgames.blogspot.com/2010/07/quick-brew-previe...

It is a YouTube video, and I have it embedded into that post on my blog.
I talk about the controls, campaign mode, and dogfight mode, as well as show game-play footage.
If anybody has any comments on the video, please let me know! I would love to hear some feedback on it!

Edited on by CoffeeWithGames

My site, CoffeeWithGames.com!

Nintendo Network ID: Coffees | Twitter:

Oregano

I ended up buying the game, the price was a good factor oddly.... high enough that I knew the game would be pretty meaty but low enough that I didn't think I was over spending(and I can buy another chapter of The After Years!)...

I decided to go with the Classic controls and for a while it was hard to control because of the way it snaps back but I got the hang of the way of the way you should move the analogs and it's good, shooting fun. I've only played the first three levels in the US campaign but so far it seems pretty simple, which is both good and bad... it is arcadey as intended but could get samey. I'm enjoying it so far though.

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

BulbasaurusRex

Last night, I read an interesting point about Pearl Harbor: If FDR had known it was coming, he would've warned the fleet so that we could win the battle and still enter the war. It's so simple yet stops the conspiracy theorists right in their tracks.

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

Sneaker13

Alright, finished both campaigns with all levels so time for a quick review.

The good:

• The graphics are impressive for a WiiWare game. Runs very smooth which makes it very enjoyable.
  • The music is great and so are the soundeffects.
  • I love the comic.
  • Controls are great.
  • It's really fun.

The bad:

• It's really, really short.
  • The graphics don't look great. This makes the free flying option pretty boring for the lack of eye candy and purpose. So loose the Free Flight and replace it with a good, simple training level at the start of the first campaign.
  • The cartoon isn't used enough.
  • The rocket is not very precise.
  • Because the lack of regaining health. Dog fight is almost impossible in the later levels and because of that frustrating and not fun.
  • Funny that you can let the wheels out. Too bad nothing is done with this.
  • How in the world can a plane selfdestruct when leaving an area during dog fight. That was utter BS in my opinion.

Things I want:

• A health meter for my plane.
  • A way to regain health. When the screens says I'm damaged, you are as good as dead.
  • I want more levels. It's nice that you can choose from multiple planes in some levels, but just make it an obligation. Then add some more.
  • More comics. I want it after every level. It's a great way to tell the story.
  • Make the rocket a homing rocket. Or at least something that's a bit more precise. Maybe some sort of lock on system. Keep de enemie in the crosshair for three seconds and then it would be locked on. Something like that.
  • I would love a rocket cam too.
  • Multiplayer is greatly missed. 1 vs 1 multiplayer or 2 player co-op. Would be awesome additions. I wouldn't even mind with less levels as long as it has multiplayer.
  • I want to do a looping. That would be a great way to sneak up behind enemies shooting at you.

Edited on by Sneaker13

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Friendcodes:
Wii: 1992-3062-5832-6991 - Mario Kart Wii: 3308-5912-8952 - Dr. Mario & Germ Buster: 8325-7726-3894 -
3DS: 0430 - 8258 - 5287

Aviator

Sneaker13 wrote:

The good:

• The graphics are impressive for a WiiWare game. Runs very smooth which makes it very enjoyable.
  • The music is great and so are the soundeffects.
  • I love the comic.
  • Controls are great.
  • It's really fun.

These are all very true, and you should be very proud of the company you work for eripmav.

push for a post-modern cel shaded cartoon shoot em up!!!
Any news on the next game?

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

eripmav

Not as of yet Aviator:)

The negative points, some of them you have to take into consideration the file size limitations, it hinders us somewhat as to what we can include, same reason for the lack of MP; although it is something we're looking into for Ep2 or 3. It's not 'that' short really, especially when you take the price factor into consideration.

I do think though however alot of the major criticism will be taken onboard for Ep2, especially the lack of aerobatics etc.

eripmav

Sneaker13

eripmav wrote:

The negative points, some of them you have to take into consideration the file size limitations, it hinders us somewhat as to what we can include, same reason for the lack of MP; although it is something we're looking into for Ep2 or 3. It's not 'that' short really, especially when you take the price factor into consideration.

I don't really care about the graphics. They are great for the campaigns, but loose the free flight option. There isn't really a point in it and because of the lack of eye candy, it becomes boring pretty quick. So losing that would clean up some space which might be used for the other points. Since dog fight isn't much fun because of the insane difficulty and no way too regain health. Maybe that that game mode can be changed into the multiplayer. If a multiplayer option is added, I wouldn't even mind losing a few of the current levels. But without multiplayer, I would say loose dogfight, loose free flight and add more levels. This might be a way to put more levels in the second installment and end the trilogy with half the levels but with multiplayer.

The other points are minor complaints that could be resolved without to much trouble I think (or hope).

eripmav wrote:

I do think though however alot of the major criticism will be taken onboard for Ep2, especially the lack of aerobatics etc.

I look forward to it.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Friendcodes:
Wii: 1992-3062-5832-6991 - Mario Kart Wii: 3308-5912-8952 - Dr. Mario & Germ Buster: 8325-7726-3894 -
3DS: 0430 - 8258 - 5287

Nintendo-64

I downloaded it today and i must say that it is a lot of fun. But it is MUCH to easy. I finished the US campaign in just 1 hour and 3 minutes and i got shoot down just in the first and the second mission and then even just 4 or 5 times in total. So please make the next part much more difficult and include a cockpit view. That would be awesome.

Nintendo-64

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.