Forums

Topic: La Mulana Hype/Discussion Thread

Posts 181 to 200 of 232

AENIGMA

I finally completed the game with all items, software, etc... Took 23 hours though
Kinda sucks that not all of the music is in the "Jukebox" (only 51 tracks, with both music EXEs).
Now to try to complete the game without watching the play-through videos when I get stuck.

ÆNIGMA

brooks83

Well I have managed to beat 5 guardians all on my own without looking at a guide, but the past couple of days I have basically been wondering around with absolutely no clue what to do. I'm 24 hours into the game and really don't want to admit defeat and look at a guide. I've actually been holding off on reading this thread in fear of reading some spoilers, but I decided to check and see what you guys had to say about the game. Looks like I activated hard mode without realizing it . No wonder I was stuck on Viy for a couple of days. Turns out I didn't see anything I didn't already know (other than the hard mode trap), so maybe that's a sign that I should give it a little more time before reading a guide. It is comforting to know that many of you here are stumped as well.

One other "trap" that happened to me was I went down to the Temple of the Sun before I got the boots or the Holy Grail and I saved my game there. Without the boots you can't climb the sand slides and I couldn't leave without the Holy Grail, so I had no way to escape and had to completely restart my game. Luckily I was only an hour in, but still it was frustrating.

brooks83

GeminiSaint

You defeated Viy? You might want to revisit the waterfall area at the surface...

About exiting the Temple of the Sun without Grail/Boots, it's actually possible. You have to make your way back to where the switch to turn on the lamp used to be (that's inside the structure right below the exit to Gate of Guidance). There's a breakable wall to the left of one of the ladders in that small enclosed area. It disables the stone pillar blocking the exit.

EDIT: Oh. I think I should also share this.

ITEMS ALMOST LOST FOREVER:
-Item to the left of Pazuzu's room in the Inferno Cavern. Save before attempting. Don't save if you fail.
-Item obtained by solving the Scales of the Heart puzzle. You only get one try. Save before attempting. Don't save if you fail.
(You can reset these puzzles somewhere in the ruins... good luck finding that place without a guide, though. It's just easier to save before attempting them)

ITEMS DEFINITELY LOST FOREVER:
A piece of software in a chest in Shrine of the Mother. Not easy to miss. It's almost in plain sight. Get it before defeating all 8 guardians.
A Life Orb in Shrine of the Mother. Very hard to miss. I mean, come on, it's right there! Also get it before defeating all 8 guardians.
A Life Orb in the Dimensional Corridor. Get it before defeating the dragon miniboss (Ushumgallu, check the map). Also: Hardest. Life Orb. Ever. You have no idea...

Edited on by GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint

brooks83

Potential Spoilers:

Yeah, I found the Tower of the Goddess under the waterfall, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do in there. One puzzle in there says I need a golden key but I don't have that yet. The exits on the right hand side of the tower are blocked by statues. And strangely, the headless statue at the bottom of the tower on the right side has a secret room on her back, but it is empty. I'm guessing at some point, with the right item in hand, that will change.

There is also a puzzle in the twin towers that has me stumped. I found the ankh after the witches puzzle, but there is another puzzle that says to shine the light on the twins and then shine the light on the ruined world. I figured out to shine the light on the twin's statues, but I have no idea what is implied by the ruined world.

And then there is the Eden puzzle, which is just beyond cryptic. Welp, I'm off to look at a guide. At least I can be proud I made it this far without a guide, right? lol

EDIT: (Still Spoilers)
After reading the guide, there were two things I probably would have never figured out on my own. One was going down the pipe in the Giants land where the statue is pointing. I knew there was something to do with that, because a statue mentioned something about "Where the finger points", but going down the pipe was something I probably would have never guessed. Also, buying 20 weights in the little brother's shop in the twin towers to open up the big brother's shop would have never occured to me. I get that this game is a throwback to a time where games were very cryptic, but some of the puzzles here are just ridiculous lol.

Edited on by brooks83

brooks83

GeminiSaint

brooks83 wrote:

After reading the guide, there were two things I probably would have never figured out on my own. One was going down the pipe in the Giants land where the statue is pointing. I knew there was something to do with that, because a statue mentioned something about "Where the finger points", but going down the pipe was something I probably would have never guessed. Also, buying 20 weights in the little brother's shop in the twin towers to open up the big brother's shop would have never occured to me. I get that this game is a throwback to a time where games were very cryptic, but some of the puzzles here are just ridiculous lol.

Heh, yeah. I did do the "where the finger points" one on my own, but it was a stroke of luck. I pressed down by accident and was surprised when I saw what happened then, heh.

About the other one, there was a hint somewhere: "Big Brother's shop is for regulars" or something like that. Pretty straightforward hint in hindsight. But yeah, I couldn't figure out that one on my own. Not to mention I mistook a different shop in the Labyrinth for Big Brother's shop, so yeah, I was completely off the track on that one. Oh well. =P

Anyway, if you think these are obscure, wait until you go to the Gate of Confusion...

Edited on by GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint

brooks83

GeminiSaint wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

Heh, yeah. I did do the "where the finger points" one on my own, but it was a stroke of luck. I pressed down by accident and was surprised when I saw what happened then, heh.

About the other one, there was a hint somewhere: "Big Brother's shop is for regulars" or something like that. Pretty straightforward hint in hindsight. But yeah, I couldn't figure out that one on my own. Not to mention I mistook a different shop in the Labyrinth for Big Brother's shop, so yeah, I was completely off the track on that one. Oh well. =P

Anyway, if you think these are obscure, wait until you go to the Gate of Confusion...

Lol, yeah same here, I assumed the shop where you get the gold ring thing was the Big Brother's shop.

brooks83

Slapshot

Why did Retro City Rampage release? I want to play La-Mulana again, but I don't have the time any more right now!

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

GeminiSaint

This just in:
Remember the puzzle with the two ice blocks in one room of the icy area, which we thought could render the game unwinnable if dropped in the "wrong" order? Well, turns out there was a way around that. At the very bottom of the map, there's a fake chest that spawns an enemy if activated. You can drop a bomb there to blow a hole in the ground. Drop through it and voila! You are in the grail tablet room.

EDIT: Also, this solution appears to be exclusive to the WiiWare version.

Edited on by GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint

Airola

brooks83 wrote:

Potential Spoilers:

One was going down the pipe in the Giants land where the statue is pointing. I knew there was something to do with that, because a statue mentioned something about "Where the finger points", but going down the pipe was something I probably would have never guessed.

I too used a guide for that. At first I thought it was bordering on being too random secret, but then I thought that, well, there was a hint about a pointing finger and that level had already had several places where you had to put weights on. So basically it would be obvious that maybe that also is a place where you have to use weights, and trying to do that ends up solving the secret because you had to press down.

Things like that make me regret I have ever used a guide as it would've been fantastic to find that by myself. It looks like a random thing but it really is a faultless secret by the game's logic.

Airola

SKTTR

GeminiSaint wrote:

This just in:
Remember the puzzle with the two ice blocks in one room of the icy area, which we thought could render the game unwinnable if dropped in the "wrong" order? Well, turns out there was a way around that. At the very bottom of the map, there's a fake chest that spawns an enemy if activated. You can drop a bomb there to blow a hole in the ground. Drop through it and voila! You are in the grail tablet room.

EDIT: Also, this solution appears to be exclusive to the WiiWare version.

You mean that gamebreaking glitch was a hoax and I restarted for nothing??

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

GeminiSaint

SKTTR wrote:

You mean that gamebreaking glitch was a hoax and I restarted for nothing??

I'm afraid so... But, well, back then we just didn't know better.

A few days ago, somebody sent an email to NIGORO complaining about the "bug", and they replied saying it wasn't a bug. They also hinted at the solution. A few minutes later, the secret alternate passage was found.

GeminiSaint

brooks83

Anybody still playing this? I've taken a break for the moment. I got kind of burnt out on it. I may come back to it one day, or I may just watch the rest through Let's Plays lol.

brooks83

GeminiSaint

Well, in fact, I beat it yesterday, 100%.
It was a fun game (even though at least 1/4th of the puzzles were beyond cryptic, especially toward the end), and I'm definitely playing it again sometime in the future.

Edited on by GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint

kkslider5552000

I realized playing this game for short sessions while being distracted by like 7 other games was a BAD idea. Will wait, then play for longer sessions so I accomplish stuff more often.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

GeminiSaint

vonseux wrote:

can someone help me to get access to confusion gate?? (the other side of gate of guidance)
also, where should i put the skull i've bough on the big brother shop?
aaalso, how to wake the faries? ;x

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS :

ACCESSING GATE OF CONFUSION:

• Get the Eden Fruit in Temple of Moonlight (after solving the puzzle with the four small tresure chests and the big tresure chest in a row). Go to Eden and put a weight on the switch at the foot of the Tree of Eden.

THE DRAGON BONE:

• Use it in the statue at the bottom of the Shrine of the Mother to remove all the skull walls. Also used for one puzzle in the Chamber of Birth, in the room with the infinite pit.

WAKING THE FARIES:

• Get Isis' Pendant and take it to the Fairy Queen at the end of the first level of the Endless Corridor. Isis Pendant is found in a secret room in the Temple of the Sun. It's in the room with the entrance to Inferno Cavern, where you fought a weird multilegged miniboss. Find a breakable spot in the ceiling and whip it until it breaks.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint

You have to scan four specific spots in the Temple of Moonlight:

1) In the room where you find the Grapple Claw, scan the demon face in the background.
2) In the pit with the three elevators, scan the place the four hands in the background point at.
3) In the room immediately to the right of where the tip of the inverted pyramid is. Scan the column in the background (the picture in this column changes every time you enter this room).
4) In the room at the bottom-left part of the map, where there's an obvious trap with a switch placed right below some spikes. Scan the switch without activating it.

There are clues about this spread throughout the ruins. They all say something like "Those looking for Eden ...something, something... in a place bathed in moonlight"

Also, bear in mind you have to enter the Temple of Moonlight from either the gate near the sun temple's boss room, or from the grail tablet room in Graveyard of the Giants in order to access some of those four spots. Once you have them all, open the four chests from left to right.

GeminiSaint

SKTTR

back in there. attempt #3. nine hours in.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

GeminiSaint

Sorry you had to restart for nothing.
At least now we can say the game is free of game-breaking bugs, right?

GeminiSaint

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.