Forums

Topic: La Mulana Hype/Discussion Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 232

kkslider5552000

Dark_Oddy_Rises wrote:

I can't even find the first boss. Or anything...

whipping stuff is the answer in the first area. The puzzles are somewhat easy if you know that.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

GeminiSaint

Dark_Oddy_Rises wrote:

I've been whipping those sarcophagi that make noise and shoot at you for_ever_, and nothing's happened. Thanks for the hint, though.

Another hint: Bottom-left corner of the map: If they don't break, you aren't whipping them enough...

Edited on by GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint

AENIGMA

To all of those having trouble finding out what to do next in the game, I've been watching the speedrun video below whenever I get stuck. It has helped out a lot.
BEWARE: TONS OF SPOILERS

• Wii LA-MULANA RTA(SPEEDRUN) 2:13:21 (Japanese WiiWare version)
    [youtube:_c3fzJH4G6Y]

Edited on by AENIGMA

ÆNIGMA

Adam

Just beat two more bosses, though I'm now out of pistol ammo and the guide linked to above seems to presume it is possible to beat Bahamut, which I find suspiciously optimistic. I'll have to skip through this speed run to verify.

Edit: ok, forget this fish. Some questions. I saved in twin labyrinths and some moon temple. I can't warp to either though. Is there a way to? Also, I got the grapple things, and the description says I should be able to scale walls, but I can't actually scale them, just cling and then either fall or jump straight across, never gaining height. Am I doing it wrong?

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

SKTTR

I think the Moon Temple and Twin Labyrinths belong to the "darkside". Read their save tablets so you'll have them activated later when you find a way to warp to the darkside.

The grapple gloves are just for clinging at the walls (and jumping off of them) They're usefuly in a few places, especially in sections where you fall. Using them effectively you won't waste seconds crushed on the ground anymore. I always wondered if there's an upgrade so that you can actually climb (as a skeleton in the Sun Pyramid suggests), but that's one thing I still have to discover.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Airola

Adam wrote:

Just beat two more bosses, though I'm now out of pistol ammo and the guide linked to above seems to presume it is possible to beat Bahamut, which I find suspiciously optimistic. I'll have to skip through this speed run to verify.

I had tons of trouble with Bahamut. I was able to beat it with a good use of Flare Gun and Axe. It is rather easy when you learn its pattern. It's entirely possible to beat it without taking any damage.

Edit: ok, forget this fish. Some questions. I saved in twin labyrinths and some moon temple. I can't warp to either though. Is there a way to? Also, I got the grapple things, and the description says I should be able to scale walls, but I can't actually scale them, just cling and then either fall or jump straight across, never gaining height. Am I doing it wrong?

This warping issue was the reason I quite playing the original. I thought it was a bug but as I played the remake I found out that you need to find a certain software and plug it in the computer to be able to warp to those levels too.

I think it's not possible to climb up the walls. You'll need it in some points to be able to get up though. You use it by jumping, clinging on the wall, jumping to an upper ledge, and doing it again to get even higher. So, you can use it to get higher but not in a way you'd first think.

Airola

Adam

Not sure I understand your explanation of how to gain height with the claws, but it'll probably hit me when I arrive at such an area.

There is a room early on in the Egyptian area where you can't reach it from a jump, but if you try falling from above, it's just barely unreachable... or so I thought. I saw in a speed run linked here the guy just fell and maneuvered easily to land on the ledge. It's the room that's not lit up initially to the left and down from the entrance. Any help on that one, or is this area even essential? I like to watch until I see something I can do... then I go do it, rather than sitting there and spoiling everything, so I'm not sure what awaits me aside from a glimpse of a subboss.

And yea, Bahamut looked like a reasonable boss in that Let's Play when using the flare and axe... sadly, two items I have yet to find. Could really use the flare since I found the dark area. Exploring without it has been futile... and scary.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Airola

If I understood correctly what room you mean, there is a way to make a light appear. The Flares aren't helping there (in fact I think you can't even get the flares before that).

When you've made the light to appear in that room, you can see some previously invisible platforms. The easiest way to land on one of them is to use a certain type of a jump what allows you to move around while falling. To make this jump you must jump straight upwards and when you are in the air you can start moving the character to whichever side you want him to go, and when you drop down using that method, you can steer the character in the air enough to make it possible to land on one of the platforms.

That style of jumping is very handy in several situations. Whenever you think you should have more control in jumping (like perhaps a situation where you might need to jump only a little bit forwards), just jump upwards and press left/right while in the air.

The "mechanism" that makes the light appear is close to that place, if you haven't already found it.

Airola

Adam

I already had the light activated but didn't notice platforms when laying or watching. The speed runner just jumps like you described and lands right in the entry way to the next room. Ill have to give it another look after work.

Come on, friends,

SKTTR

The red lights themselves are the platforms. That's one thing I stumbled upon by accident, because it doesn't look like you can stand on them.. Some bodyparts of the giants too...
Anyway, the mid-air jump Airola mentioned is extremely helpful in this place.

As for the grapple, I think there are moving platforms later. you can grapple onto them from the side, and they'll take you upwards.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

DrKarl

Adam wrote:

I already had the light activated but didn't notice platforms when laying or watching. The speed runner just jumps like you described and lands right in the entry way to the next room. Ill have to give it another look after work.

Like others have said, use the jump then move technique. I use the wide channels in the background to line the jump up. The channels are visible in both the upper and lower screens, and line up with the edge of the platform on the far right.

It took me a while to get my system down, but failing over and over allowed me to get real good with my stabbing knife. That knife is essential for taking out the cat and two birds on the upper screen. stab stab stab! Stabby knife!

DrKarl

Adam

The jumping method was not the problem. I didn't realize that the lights were platforms. I was trying to land directly on the edge because I saw someone do it in a video and assumed that was the main method of doing it.

This is one of many instances where I had the right idea at the beginning but then decided it was a waste of time to try or just forgot that I hadn't already tried it, because I definitely had the idea that the lights were platforms earlier.

Anyway, thanks for the help as usual, guys.

Come on, friends,

GeminiSaint

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Well, I think I finally reached my breaking point. 13 hours into the game (more counting deaths and resets) and I'm completely, utterly stumped. I did manage to get relatively far, though, never once touching a guide. I found and defeated four bosses (Amphisbaena, Sakit, Ellmac and Bahamut, in that order), I stepped into and explored quite a few areas of the game and discovered several secrets, all on my own, never reaching for external aid. Heck, I even figured out (by sheer chance and a massive stroke of luck) the supremely obscure puzzle that leads to the Fruit of Eden, on my own! In fact, here's a screenshot of my inventory screen at the time of writing this: http://www.rphaven.org/gs/stuff/lamulana.jpg

Well, I think I finally ran out of luck. By now, I've wandered throughout the entire place and revisited every room I have access to more than once, trying anything and everything in each. But nothing seems to work. The Endless Corridor is still only four rooms long (the map shows 12 more rooms), the Chamber of Extinction is still dark and the 4 rooms at the top-right corner of the map continue to be seemingly inaccessible to me, the miniboss at the bottom of the moon pyramid continues to be invincible, In the Twins' Labyrinth I found the Ankh but not the jewel, and I can't do anything but pointlessly wander back and forth in the first corridor of the ruined "Eden" area.

So yeah. I have to admit defeat, which sucks and I hate it, but what else can I do?
It looks like I have to... (shudders) ...check a guide, for the first time.

Well, there goes my pride as a gamer...

Edited on by GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint

Adam

You're in good company.

Come on, friends,

GeminiSaint

Well, like I said earlier, I looked for some help. Since Deceased Crab is now Let's Playing this version of the game right now, I decided to check it out for a little... guidance (hohoho... see what I did there?).

Some of the things I missed were my own fault, sure, like the whereabouts of the item I needed to beat that miniboss at the bottom of the moon pyramid. I really have no excuse for not finding it on my own. But then there was stuff like the location of the axe... Or the puzzles in the Gate of Confusion. Those really are something else. Honestly, quite a few of the puzzles in the Gate of Confusion are so obscure I just don't think they can be realistically "solved" without external aid. I mean, the ladder one near the beginning of that area is particularly notorious in its sheer randomness. And, unless I missed some random tablet somewhere, I don't think there was any clue about it at all. How are you supposed to figure that one out?

Well, at least I made a lot of progress today, but I have this foreboding feeling things will only get harder and more obscure from this point on...

GeminiSaint

kkslider5552000

beat the Giant boss. Definitely easier than minecart boss, especially when I stopped being dumb and impatient for the first form. I haven't found any new weapons or roms in the Mausoleum or Temple of the Sun and I'm worried about this.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

GeminiSaint

kkslider5552000 wrote:

beat the Giant boss. Definitely easier than minecart boss, especially when I stopped being dumb and impatient for the first form. I haven't found any new weapons or roms in the Mausoleum or Temple of the Sun and I'm worried about this.

You mean you obliterated Sakit, but the adventure continues!
Also, I found that the best strategy against Ellmac is to stick to his face and whip it until he dies. A heck of a lot faster than using shurikens, which takes forever. I also faced him after finding quite a few life orbs and the first whip upgrade, which was super effective, so to say.
Anyway, there are some weapons in the Mausoleum of the Giants and the Temple of the Sun that can be obtained relatively early. One of them involves ghosts and the other involves shurikens and marksmanship.

Edited on by GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.