Forums

Topic: La Mulana Hype/Discussion Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 232

Henmii

I have a simple question: Isn't La mulana a (console-crashing) bug fest! Because I heard some versions of Cave story had nasty glitches!

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

SKTTR

Bugs in La-Mulana?
Never encountered one, not a single glitch or anything in the slightest in the WiiWare version.

All around extremely polished, apart from some minor oldschool framerate drops when too many enemies are on screen in hard mode.
I guess the few spelling errors on the old engravings don't count, since you're using an in-game glyph reader / translator.

PS. Cave Story never had bugs in the EU version. The NA version has been fixed and updated long time ago.
Apart from that NICALIS/Studio Pixel is not EnjoyUp/NIGORO and NIGORO had more than enough time to polish the finished game until gold was shimmering through.

@KaiserGX: When I was replaying the game I found the Knife you were looking for.

Little SPOILER:
From the pyramid save point one screen down and one screen right.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

kkslider5552000

Temple of the Sun is now Temple of the Catball.

I've honestly seen most of a Let's Play of the original version, yet the only thing I remember beyond the Surface so far are 2 puzzles. Like not even the solutions, I mean nothing in this is familiar besides I guess the music. I'm not sure if I have a bad memory all of a sudden or if they changed the areas of the game.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

GeminiSaint

Another fair WARNING:
I've been checking the GameFAQs forums every now and then, and apparently, there's one part of the game where activating the wrong switch makes the game permanently unwinnable. It appears to be an unintentional design flaw, which seems to have been patched in the PC Windows version of the game. The switches in question are in the icy world, in a room that has two large ice blocks that can be dropped using two switches located in plain sight in the same room. If you don't drop the bottom-left block first, you could potentially lock yourself out of your game forever. I can't confirm it myself, because I was lucky enough to activate those two switches in the right order when I first found them.

GeminiSaint

SKTTR

Out of the game again....
And I thought if I return later it will reset, or at least that there's another solution.. but man... a bug? ....not again....
Isn't there an item somewhere so I can fly or climb or warp or get somehow up there?

****!
Another 5 hours wasted!
That's 30 hours now and I'm back on a new file....
Leave you guys for a while, hope you beat the game.

And a trap I discovered that will not reset.... I don't know exactly if it's supposed to be like that, but I guess we explorers should help each other out....
In the lava world on the leftmost wall where fire spits out there is a passage to the left that leads to a room full of boxes and then another screen to the left to a miniboss. when you kill the miniboss and advance to next room to the left there is a nasty trap. I'd warp back and save. Couldn't find a solution. It always smashed me flat and when you activate one of those switches they don't seem to reset either. Fortunately I didn't save. But what am I talking about? All is lost anyway! La-Mulana, you cursed ruins!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: I remember another one. The first time you get into the Moon Pyramid. Somewhere on the upper right side, there is a big stone block that can fall down. It is needed to climb a ladder that is a shortcut to the Twin Towers. If you hit the wrong switch or something (I'm not sure) the block falls down to the lower ground, making it impossible to reach the Twin Towers from that side (but you can still access the Twin Tower from the lava pit). Just wanted you all to know about this as it was something I did right on my 1st attempt and then wondered about why the platform fell all the way down on my 2nd attempt.

Someone should make a DON'T DO THIS list for La-Mulana to keep me from endless pain.

Edited on by SKTTR

Airola

Oh, what a great game this is!
It's EXACTLY what I want from a video game: the player can see one whole screen at a time, it's in 2D, there are tons of items to find, tons of traps to avoid, tons of riddles to solve, tons of puzzles to figure out, tons of action, tons of jumping around, it isn't linear and it isn't too easy or too impossible.

I played the original up to the point where I thought there was a glitch that didn't allow me to warp on certain places. I bought the WiiWare version and learned that in the end it was all about "the backsides" and I just needed an item that allowed me to warp between the backside places too. Well, although I like the original MSX-style graphics more, I think this version is more enjoyable to play as it's easier to change between items and the grapple claw jumping is way more tolerable in this version. That was a really tough thing to master in the original.

The Chamber of Extinction is a pain. I don't like to be forced to be constantly worried about the light going out again.

SKTTR wrote:

And a trap I discovered that will not reset.... I don't know exactly if it's supposed to be like that, but I guess we explorers should help each other out....
In the lava world on the leftmost wall where fire spits out there is a passage to the left that leads to a room full of boxes and then another screen to the left to a miniboss. when you kill the miniboss and advance to next room to the left there is a nasty trap. I'd warp back and save. Couldn't find a solution. It always smashed me flat and when you activate one of those switches they don't seem to reset either. Fortunately I didn't save. But what am I talking about? All is lost anyway! La-Mulana, you cursed ruins!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. This is a place where you get only one shot to get the item. It was so in the original too. It's fully intentional.
With The Holy Grail I guess its possible to fail once if you have already revealed the weapon and happen to fall down. It's possible to still get the weapon and leave with the Holy Grail. But if you mess up by not being able to get up the first time the pillar rises, then you can't get the weapon without resetting. That weapon isn't necessary though.

I have read that there is a one chance in some place later in the game to reset one messed up puzzle. I recall there would a fairy somewhere who can do this, but the fairy can do this only once and only to one puzzle.

Edit: I remember another one. The first time you get into the Moon Pyramid. Somewhere on the upper right side, there is a big stone block that can fall down. It is needed to climb a ladder that is a shortcut to the Twin Towers. If you hit the wrong switch or something (I'm not sure) the block falls down to the lower ground, making it impossible to reach the Twin Towers from that side (but you can still access the Twin Tower from the lava pit). Just wanted you all to know about this as it was something I did right on my 1st attempt and then wondered about why the platform fell all the way down on my 2nd attempt.

I messed this up when playing the original, but it was possible to get up by using the Feather that allows double-jump. I don't know how it is in this version as I did it right this time.

Airola

GeminiSaint

SKTTR wrote:

In the lava world on the leftmost wall where fire spits out there is a passage to the left that leads to a room full of boxes and then another screen to the left to a miniboss. when you kill the miniboss and advance to next room to the left there is a nasty trap. I'd warp back and save. Couldn't find a solution. It always smashed me flat and when you activate one of those switches they don't seem to reset either.

That one is intentional. But you can do it if you are fast and time it right (and have Hermes' boots too). In fact, I did it on my first try, using the left pillar. The item you find there is optional, but totally worth it.

GeminiSaint

Adam

They really need to give you the Holy Grail from the start. I've found one seemingly impossible trap so far, and it just spoils the whole experience. I couldn't even kill my character so I had to reset. Now that I have the grail I can just warp if that happens again, but that is completely thoughtless design.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Airola

Adam wrote:

but that is completely thoughtless design.

The designer actually has thought about that and made those situations intentionally. The Holy Grail isn't only an item to teleport between places quickly but it's also an item of amazingly high relief. Aquiring and using that item is way more satisfying when there can be truly harsh conditions without it.

The original version didn't even give an option to save early. In this version you can save immediately but the original had you buy some quite expensive stuff before being able to save at all, and the money didn't come as "easy" as in the remake, so the player had to be truly brave to go into the ruins. All of that was made with a clear thought and intention to make the player to really explore carefully and to think before doing. It wasn't even possible to save at the Grail Points. The only place to save was in the tent of the elder at the Surface. I'm somewhat glad that they made it easier in the remake, but I can fully appreciate the thought behind it, and I enjoyed the feeling of truly earning the possibility to save when playing the original.

I think you can dislike that logic and the design but to call it thoughtless is just thoughtless

Airola

Henmii

So no nasty glitches! That's very nice to hear! I guess I'll download it pretty soon then!

Thanks for the answer!

Henmii

Adam

No, I thought about it, and it is thoughtless. It adds value to an item that is already highly valuable while making the game not fun at all if you get caught in a trap before finding it. If any decision leads to situations that ruin the fun of a game, I consider thoughtless an apt description, personally, much like the sign that permanently activates hard mode without explaining what it's doing. I get that you disagree, but that is my view.

In fact, I've found a lot else I'd describe that way, but no need to go into detail. Suffice it to say, my opinion of the game changed a lot in my play after the first boss. Oh well, it was fun enough to be worth trying.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Airola

There seems to be one fatal design flaw which GeminiSaint pointed out in message 158.

I too went through it in correct order so I didn't have any problems with it, but as I read that thread in GameFAQs, I saw an image someone had posted which explained the situation. It indeed seems to make proceeding impossible. It was fixed in the PC versions but for some reason that fix didn't end up in the WiiWare version.

It is discussed in this thread:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/972053-la-mulana/64154552
The picture in question is this (don't open it if you don't want to see a possible minor spoiler):
http://edyics.eecafe.net/gamescreens/lamul25.png

So, in that screen there are two things to activate. If you activate the wrong one first, you can't get into the other activation point anymore and it also makes it impossible to get into the Grail Point of that place and apparently you have to use every Grail Point in the game to be able to finish it. I'm not sure if there is another way to the Grail Point, but everyone seems to point out there isn't. The PC version had an update which changed the place you can use to get to the Grail Point, but in the WiiWare version it's the old one and can make the game unwinnable.

That's the only "glitch" there seems to be. All the other "mess up situations" are thoughtfully designed traps that, when activated, lock you in a "prison" and might make you force to reset the game if you don't have a certain item but they will never make the game unwinnable (and there really aren't THAT many of them). A good rule to follow in this game has always been that whenever you find something valuable or open ways to new places, try to save the game as soon as possible. It makes getting killed by an enemy or launching a horrible trap way more tolerable. Every treasure you find and every puzzle you solve should be a great achievement so by saving you guarantee the ownership of them for good.

Airola

kkslider5552000

Adam wrote:

No, I thought about it, and it is thoughtless

This is factually incorrect for reasons already explained. Now, if you want to say "this is unnecessarily unfair and annoying because the creators are obsessed with their nostalgia for unfair old games" you would have a valid point. Like, I love the game but that is the best description for it.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Airola

Adam wrote:

much like the sign that permanently activates hard mode without explaining what it's doing. I get that you disagree, but that is my view.

Oh yeah, I love that thing!

You can't say it didn't warn you though.

Oh damn...... I love that whole idea soooo much... And it's really cool how it happens too. I have to admit though that I have never dared to do it myself (I obeyed the warning like a scared sheep) but I looked it up on a Youtube video and it seems that there happens some kind of a horror noise, a skull or something appears for a second and you are doomed for the rest of the game (unless you reload the latest save of course). A curse is a curse and it should be horrible.

But yeah, I understand if you don't like things like that. After all there must be a reason the difficulty was toned down a bit for the remake. We who enjoy ideas like that must be a minority.

Airola

SKTTR

Yeah, the Holy Grail is one of the first items you can get, so all this stuff about getting stuck in traps can be avoided after 30 minutes of play.

I guess I took the most hardcore route possible, activating VERY HARD mode the first time you have access to it (before the first boss), and then playing 10 hours into the game without Holy Grail. Playing another 10 hours into game without knowing you can warp elsewhere besides the Surface. I played it like the MSX version of the game. 25 hours in I read here my game was on VERY HARD mode. Restarting all over, played again until 50% of the game, then realized I messed up a shortcut and get sad, well no problem, then get to know I messed up the whole game at ca. 60% again because of an old glitched and extremely important puzzle NIGORO has not updated for the EU/NA WiiWare versions. I could play on and make progress here and there, but I'll never be able to see the ending.

Some people surrender these days too easily, and way too early at that... well, no game is for everyone.
I need to go back into these ruins for a third time.. too much explorer spirit dragging me. I take a glitches/missables FAQ with me though, because I'm not sure I can take it a 4th time.

Adam

I think enough has been said about traps, but for those interested in semantics, the word "thoughtless" does not mean showing no thought whatsoever. It's just an opinion, nothing factual. Carry on.

I started to turn to a guide but couldn't find a good one. Any recommendations? I feel like using a guide is surrendering in itself, but I figured it'd be better than quitting completely on a game I just bought. Got to bosses two and three but found them way too tough. Got the giant to his second form and could barely touch the other one.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

kkslider5552000

if you went into this game expecting it to be fair and not difficult as hell, you bought the wrong game. I'm thankful I've only needed help once so far, and that's only because I overthought a puzzle.

Look up a guy named Deceasedcrab. It's not done yet but he's doing a Let's Play of it. And he's LPed the original version TWICE and I can assure you he knows what he's doing.

Adam

I don't know where I said I expected it to be easy. I don't really want to watch a Lets Play of it, at least not at the moment, if you suggest it in lieu of a guide. I would need something in text to search through.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Airola

http://lamulana-remake.wikia.com/wiki/La-Mulana_Remake_Wiki

The original Wiki stopped working and all was moved on that site. There are full maps too but the pictures are small because the big ones were lost when the original crashed down.

There have been quite a few parts where I've used a guide. It's sort of a bittersweet experience as it's nice to have progress but each and every time I use a guide, I seriously feel the bar lowering for seeking help to the next problem, and it's always harder to have the patience to try things without help. This is a game that is really fun to play with help too, although it would be way more fun if I'd be able to solve everything by myself.

Airola

Adam

Yea, I know what you mean regarding the bar lowering. That's why I usually refuse to use guides, but I couldn't even find the second boss of this game without help, so the bar is already low. Thanks for the link!

Come on, friends,

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.