Forums

Topic: I'm done(*) with WiiWare

Posts 41 to 57 of 57

JonWahlgren

Soooo you're not supporting WiiWare as a sort of developer solidarity, but by doing so you're removing sales from those developers who need them in order to get paid in the first place. Seems kinda backwards, no?

JonWahlgren

Nintendo Network ID: johnnypanda | Twitter:

JayArr

Developers make a good game. People buy good games. Developers get paid.

Developers just need to quit making crappy games.

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

JebbyDeringer

If I made a good Wiiware game I could probably make quota just by posting flyers around town advertising my game. That's really not a huge sales target. There are issues with Wiiware and it's not as profitable as it should be but that comes more down to not enough people using the service to buy games. The majority of Wii owners don't even explore online purchases though they should because there are a lot of casual friendly games and the price is right. Sales are likely slightly better on 360/PS3 but even then a lot of the gamers are into big budget titles.

JebbyDeringer

Shane_Gill

Corbie wrote:

That's why if I was a developer I'd stick with Xbox Live Arcade. Forget WiiWare and DSiWare.

Far better off going with Steam. You can actively see who is downloading your game, where they live, how long they're playing it for, as well as getting real time financial information and the ability to adjust any aspect of the game you see fit. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft's offerings don't even come close to it. I guess the only benefit of it is having a larger audience. Then again, you also have to consider the fact that Microsoft take a far larger cut of your royalties.

Shane_Gill

Sean_Aaron

We don't really know beans about download sales because no one is releasing hard figures. It's a big problem that needs to be resolved before downloads can replace packaged media. When NPD has some verified numbers for download sales, then we can generalise, but until then it's a lot of speculation.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Adam

Panda wrote:

Soooo you're not supporting WiiWare as a sort of developer solidarity, but by doing so you're removing sales from those developers who need them in order to get paid in the first place. Seems kinda backwards, no?

While we're at it, why don't we march at Nintendo's headquarters in protest? "Support independent developers! Don't buy their games!"

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Kid_A

weirdadam wrote:

Panda wrote:

While we're at it, why don't we march at Nintendo's headquarters in protest? "Support independent developers! Don't buy their games!"

Waaay ahead of you **pulls out picket sign**

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Bass_X0

JayArr wrote:

Developers make a good game. People buy good games. Developers get paid.

Developers just need to quit making crappy games.

actually, thats not true. some poor or average games sell very well indeed while some genuinely good games get passed over and don't sell well.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

Sean_Aaron

Bass+X0 wrote:

actually, thats not true. some poor or average games sell very well indeed while some genuinely good games get passed over and don't sell well.

Ditto for films, books, music etc. You simply cannot win them all and there's no ironclad formula for success that says good game+marketing = big sales. Of course if you don't promote your wares then no one will know they exist!

JayArr

A few minor instances of difference could be found in nearly any statement. I'm sure the developers of World of Goo woke up with more money than the developers of Gravtronix. I guess if you don't feel like making a good game you could always just put "Sexy" in the title.

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

Machu

/me wants Sexy Plattchen

Rawr!

SKTTR

I support indie developers in buying the games that are of interest to me.

From WiiWare's indie games I don't have many though. Much of my downloaded games are made by Nintendo, Hudson, Square Enix, Telltale and Gameloft... you know, the bigger ones still make the bigger money because they still make the better games.

Here's some indie games I bought from WiiWare:

• World of Goo (2D Boy)
  • LostWinds 1 & 2 (Frontier)
  • Swords & Soldiers (Ronimo Games)
  • Texas Hold'em Tournament (Digital Leisure)
  • equilibrio (DK Games)
  • Defend your Castle (XGen Studios)

My next Wii Points Card I don't get for the indie games.
I'll get a 3000pts card for 530 ECOSHOOTER and Excitebike (both made by Nintendo).
The rest of the Wii points may find their way to zero, one or two indie games if there's something interesting in the shop.
It's often like that.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

LEGEND_MARIOID

Panda wrote:

That's what I kind of gather. I'm struggling to understand how the stance of boycotting wiiware actually HELPS any cause!

"They say video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."

bro2dragons

Nintendork wrote:

I agree with Rowdy. A system where you make a game, put it up on a service, and not get rewarded is not a fair system. Simple as that.

Really? come on, now, let's not be children. making a game does not entitle you to money. that's the same as me saying that since i made a clay sculpture in 6th grade, i should get paid. likewise, just because you EXPECT making a game to make you money does not mean it will make you money. that's the same as me saying that because i expected to make money off of the "business" i set up in 6th grade selling clay sculptures on the sidewalk, that i should make money. that's ridiculous. If Nintendo puts up a game and loses money off of it, than why on earth, should they lose more money by paying the developer?!?!? if they did that, they'd just have to pay every developer the same ammount of money out of the gate, regardless of sales, which A) would be completely against capitalism, and B) would end with every junior high kid in a computer class making a WiiWare game so that Ninty will pay them, eventually causing Ninty to kill the service or file for bankruptcy. you pick.

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29

Nintendo Network ID: bro2dragons

Sean_Aaron

SKTTR wrote:

• Texas Hold'em Tournament (Digital Leisure)

Not to quibble, but I don't think these guys are any more "indie" than Gameloft, surely? They've been around for more than a decade and own the rights to the old Don Bluth laserdisc games.

odd69

I want all developers to succeed with Wiiware so they continue to bring us quality games.I admit that i don't support it enough,but as a gamer I'm picky about my games and rarely buy something out of the genre that i like. Also the brand name games such as Castlevania probably sell way more and might get in the way of the lesser known games such as Eduardo the Samurai Toaster from being bought . Atleast that could be a factor in poor sells for a developer. I couldn't stay away from the Wiiware service even if i tried, It provides me great games at an affordable price. I just want more shmups , old school platformers and first person shooters to be released.

Edited on by odd69

my wii number: 8754-9981-5119-6538
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles number: 1290-4359-9435
PlayStationNetworkID: odd69

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.