Forums

Topic: If Cave Story were released in the NES era, where would it rank amongst the other games for the console?

Posts 41 to 47 of 47

JebbyDeringer

Where's everyone's creativity? Of course Cave Story could have been done on the NES it just wouldn't have been an exact clone . If it were done within the NES limitations it would have ranked quite highly. It's difficult to know how high though. Most of the NES games have a long legacy so it's hard for me to rank a modern game in there. It would likely make the top 20.

JebbyDeringer

ejamer

weirdadam wrote:

I completely agree with that assessment of Kirby's Adventure, as much as I'd like to like it. I think it's a problem with many Kirby games, but no way am I passing up on Epic Yarn despite this.

One thing I'll mention is that even though the level design for Kirby games is often uninspired and the difficulty is ridiculously easy, they've still been enjoyable romps. Also, since Epic Yarn is being developed by the same studio who did Wario Land Shake It I expect it will be really easy to complete but with some advanced challenges and hidden secrets that only skilled players will find... at least that's the way Wario Land was on Wii.

JebbyDeringer wrote:

Where's everyone's creativity? Of course Cave Story could have been done on the NES it just wouldn't have been an exact clone . If it were done within the NES limitations it would have ranked quite highly. It's difficult to know how high though. Most of the NES games have a long legacy so it's hard for me to rank a modern game in there. It would likely make the top 20.

Creativity is an understatement. People seem to be forgetting how limited the NES is.

That said, I would be interested to see what a motivated dev team could accomplish. There would have to be some notable changes... but the core game would probably carry over well enough. The only important thing that I'm not confident about are some of the boss fights. Changing those to work on NES would have a big effect on the game, IMO.

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

Poochy123

@Adam: To me, the most appealing thing about Epic Yarn, aside from the visuals, of course, is that there was no footage of Kirby flying around at E3. Kirby's ability to fly around infinitely is really the only thing that makes his adventures such a walk in the park. However, despite its lack of any real difficulty, I still believe that Kirby's Adventure is one of, if not the most, enjoyable game for the NES.

And again, I understand that Cave Story, the way that it is could not have been done on the NES. However, with a few changes to the number of enemies on-screen, the graphics, and other minor changes, I still believe that it could have been done.

Check out my Classic Video Game blog:
The Time Traveling Gamers
Currently Playing: Super Metroid,Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure, Super Mario Sunshine, and Bit.Trip Runner.

Adam

Popyman wrote:

@Adam: It doesn't crash there. The only time it crashes is if you look at the map item at a certain point. The map is pointless so just don't use it and you'll be fine.

That's not what Chicken Brutus said, but it's good to know it doesn't happen for you or Odnetnin. Hopefully if I download it, I'll count myself among the lucky, too.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Poochy123

The core gameplay and level design of Cave Story could have been done on the NES. I don't understand why some people can't seem to grasp that concept. I get that it wouldn't be exactly the same, but the core of the game could remain intact.

Check out my Classic Video Game blog:
The Time Traveling Gamers
Currently Playing: Super Metroid,Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure, Super Mario Sunshine, and Bit.Trip Runner.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.