Forums

Topic: Cave Story on March 22nd

Posts 61 to 76 of 76

Sushie

I like how the premise of the IGN review was that Cave Story was basically an NES game. They compared everything from the game play to the sound this way....weird.

A Fool and his Wii Points are easily parted.

retired_account

One of the most godawful reviews I've ever read.

"You can play Cave Story with 8-bit visuals or with the original PC graphics. Both are attractive."

Wow. Just, wow.

retired_account

Kid_A

Sushie wrote:

I like how the premise of the IGN review was that Cave Story was basically an NES game. They compared everything from the game play to the sound this way....weird.

Yeah that was really weird. If anything it's more like a SNES game, right?

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Kid_A

romulux wrote:

there's nothing wrong with the game. i think it's a masterpiece up there with any great sidescroller. however, i have noticed a trend among gaming sites to lower classic game grades over time, something i absolutely don't understand. i guess the attitude is "this is good... for an outdated game". no matter how good it is, some people will always look at 2D (and some early 3D) games as a thing of the past and grade them with apathy. that ign review smacks of that a little to me... how else could the soundtrack not get 10/10?!

I think you're absolutely right. Hopefully I can buck the trend. To me, Cave Story is a pitch perfect example of how little gaming has actually progressed--games nowadays pride themselves on revolutionary game engines, online play, achievements, HD graphics. But when it comes right down to it, Cave Story knocks nearly every single current-gen console game completely out of the water on its gameplay alone. Top that perfect gameplay off with buckets of style, a mindblowing soundtrack, three different endings, DLC and an incredible story, Cave Story is absolutely a perfect 10. The site I do reviews for is going to have an absolute aneurysm, but I'm going to push my damndest to give this game the 10 it deserves.

RowdyRodimus

At $12 I think I'll just play the free PC version. I didn't want DLC, but now it's in the price. A fresh coat of paint doesn't drastically change a game so the new graphics don't matter to me and the new music means nothing to me since I rarely play a game with the sound on (usually music distracts me).

It's going to take a lot of reviews and videos saying it's the greatest thing since Oxycontin for me to pay 1200 points for a downloadable game.

Edit for stupidity: Ok, seeing that it has CC support, I will pay the extra 2 bucks and download it. That to me is worth it unlike something that would've been an additional downloadable option that we are forced to pay for whether we wanted it or not. (I know the CC support isn't the reason for the extra cost but I have to have some reason to justify it for myself lol)

Edited on by RowdyRodimus

I am the one you despise. I am he who says what you really deep down know but are affraid to admit. I am the Anti-Fanboy, the crusader of truth in a world built on your lies.

romulux

i think controller support alone is enough to justify buying instead of playing online for free. add the nice new graphics and content on top of it and it's a fair deal.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Wolfcoyote

The ability to sit in front of a television after a long day of work and play with what I consider is one of the best PC games I've played (and as a Wii-exclusive enhancement) is reason enough to purchase this title. I've read about the complaints regarding the price (see NL's news posting) and had posted a borderline-negative response but something told me to just delete it.

Too bad the game didn't come out on the 17th (I was on vacation!), but it is something great to look forward to after drowning in my "in" box at work on Monday.

Wolfcoyote

valleyoftheunos

I think the score is about right, 8.5 is pretty high, thats got to be one of the highest rated wiiware games. the review is awful though, 8 bit? NES? has Hatfield seen an NES game recently, has he seen Mega Man 10? I don't know why he is still at IGN, he's been phoning it in for a while.

valleyoftheunos

Kid_A

Points card purchased

RowdyRodimus

Kid_A wrote:

Points card purchased

I was going to get one today, but I woke up to find about 8 inches of snow on the ground and about 2 inches of ice on the roads (this is after we had gotten my nieces pool out for her to swim yesterday when it was in the 80's lol)

I am the one you despise. I am he who says what you really deep down know but are affraid to admit. I am the Anti-Fanboy, the crusader of truth in a world built on your lies.

MrPinguy

Radixxs wrote:

I find it disappointing that Nicalis itself has featured the terrible review on the home page of their blog. This review doesn't deserve publication let alone a feature on the co-developer's blog.

It's maybe the fact that Tyrone worked for IGN before joining Nicalis.

MrPinguy

nintendonerd0011

I'll be picking this one up tomorrow first thing!

nintendonerd0011

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

Congrats to everyone who was begging for it in the last six months.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

Kid_A

I think we should change the title of this thread to the Unofficial Cave Story Thread or something, just to keep the board from becoming over-run with Cave Story threads (which it's already becoming).

Anyway, purchashed it today and it certainly doesn't disappoint. Will probably start writing my official review tomorrow (if it's not a 10 it's damn close). My only complaint so far is Nicalis' take on the soundtrack. It just isn't nearly as powerful or memorable as the original. Thankfully you can switch it to the original soundtrack with the click of a button so not a huge deal. I was also surprised at how much content is packed in this little download. At least three other bonus modes outside the main story--which now has several difficulty modes. Combine all that with the three different endings and I officially have no complaints about the price point.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.