Forums

Topic: Wii U eShop Recommendations thread

Posts 401 to 420 of 423

gcunit

@ProjectX1991 As with any game, YMMV. I've played about 90 minutes of it, maybe a bit more (it was a while ago). It's a lovely looking but I found it heavily tarnished by the battling. While I think encounters are largely avoidable, you'll obviously want to 'level up' by battling. The battles consist of turn-based moves and I found it very repetitive very quickly and it put me off continuing with the game.

So from my perspective, your enjoyment of the game will be dependent on whether you like the battling mechanic.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

spizzamarozzi

So, here's a few of my latest purchases:

FREEZE ME: this was recommended to me by @SKTTR during a Miiverse exchange IIRC and he made a great job at mentioning both the good and the bad, so I kinda new what I was getting into. It's a 3D platformer based on the blueprint of Super Mario 64, so, very large levels that you play over and over with different tasks to accomplish. Basically, it could very well be a SM64 bootleg (with all the usual issues of bootlegs), with the added ability of being able to freeze enemies, platforms and other objects. There are many things I really like about it, first and foremost it's great to see a "mascot/collectathon" platformer that is colourful and vibrant (not that these games have disappeared, they have just been present under different guises, and mostly with darker tones because the average age of videogamers has gone up). I also really REALLY like how the freezing mechanic is implemented and I found most of the sections well thought out and not boring.
The big problem is, predictably, the camera. This is something even big studios struggle with when doing 3D platformers (example: Epic Mickey) so I certainly didn't expect a game done by a single developer to nail the camera like Galaxy. The camera is bad and some of the passages that you could do in 2 minutes with a reliable camera take instead 20 minutes. So it really depends on how tolerant you are of camera issues. I acknowledge it's an obvious problem but I am willing to cope with it to enjoy a type of game I haven't played in a while. Other people might throw the joystick out the window after five minutes - I dunno. I'm halfway into the game and temporarily, I would rate this ★★★/5

STEAMWORLD HEIST: not much to say, this is one of those game every WiiU owner should have. It is simply excellent in all departments. Even if you don't like strategy games (and SH is very LIGHT on strategy, it's more of an action game that requires a monimum of thinking ahead) you should play it. One word about longevity - the game costs €15 and takes a minimum of 17-20 hours to complete the campaign, which is one of the nicest value/money deals you can get on the eShop. Get it get it get it ★★★★★/5

TESTLAGRAD: this is one extremely pretty metroidvania game but unfortunately it contains two of the three things I hate the most in videogames: GRAVITY PUZZLES and AIMLESS WANDERING. So if you are not afraid of magnets like I am and don't mind backtracking in fear of having missed somethig, this might just be the game for you. Like Limbo, it's clearly a quality game but not for me. Temporarily I would say ★★/5

I was interested in Soul Axiom because of the discount (and because I haven't played a game in first person in years) but I'm not sure. Let's say my enjoyment of Master Reboot was...errmm...60%!? Great atmosphere, great vibe, great everything but the "meat" of the game was just extremely dull puzzles. So, I don't want to spend €8 and end up with a game with amazing atmosphere but where all you do is collect things and shuffle cubes around...I mean, not that I dislike that, but I would rather get other kinds of games at the moment...

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

spizzamarozzi

Not a very good selection of indies this time:

MUTANT MUDDS SUPER CHALLENGE: a very, VERY simple platformer in which you almost exclusively jump and shoot monsters and that's it. It almost feels as if I'm back to the C64 days. Since there's nothing even remotely interesting about this game, they decided to make it interesting by cranking the difficulty level up to 8.5. This results in a number of sections that are simply pointless, hard just for the sake of being hard in a very unimaginative way. The reason I'm saying it's highly uncreative is because anybody can make their game harder by placing enemies in narrow passageways or adding slippery surfaces right before instant-death spikes and bottomless pits. I guess it's okay and playable if you pretend you are in 1987 and the challenges are challenging if you're up for a challenge. To its credit, the game has enough length for money, comes with cross-buy and it's probably more interesting on the 3DS where you can see the little 3D effect they use to give you the impression you are playing on different planes. ★★/5

XEODRIFTER: very good "I wanna be Metroid" game - charming visuals, great feel when controlling the character, good structure of the explorable levels. Everything about this game is good. It only has one downside: it lasts 2 hours and costs €9 (£7.7 for you people of England). I don't want to enter the old length/price diatribe, but I think it's very disappointing when you spend that sum of money and a couple hours later the game is finished and you have no reason to boot it up again unless you want to "improve your time" (which to me is like reading the same page of a book over and over). Nine euro for 5 hours?! Excellent. Five euro for 2 hours?! Great. But €9 for 2 hours...no. Luckly I got it for a sale price, otherwise I'd be outside scratching random cars in revenge. ★★/5

DON'T STARVE: I can tell this game is much better than the experience I've had with it, but I simply couldn't be arsed to deal with the unnecessarily complicated item management menu, which you control through an esoteric mixture of shoulder buttons, D-Pad and A/B. I started this game quite a few times, and each time I kept forgetting how to do the most basic stuff, so I gave up, although I plan to pick it up again sometimes. Also, it didn't help that the text on the screen is #$@&%*! MINUSCULE. ?????/5

Also bought the new Oddworld but fell asleep after 30 minutes. Zzzzz

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Samus7Killer

Child of Light is the best eShop game money can buy... INfact it's the best Ubisoft game of all time.

Samus7Killer

gcunit

@Samus7Killer That is controversial. I loved the presentation in Child of Light, but the battle system got old real quick for me. I put the game down fairly early on and haven't gone back to it.

Samus7Killer

@gcunit how is that controversial? If that's controversial, well what I can say about BOTW would be shocking.. probably even get me banned here for expressing an opinion. Didn't mean to offend you, but you'll just have to get over that... Child of Light is a great game. Anyone that loves old school JRPGs and Rayman would love this mixture of a game. The game is great. It's pretty original. Like I said it's a mix of Rayman and some good ole JRPG mixed in (Grandia to be exact)...,.. And the rhyming dialogue is totally unique and makes it extra fun along with a great story.

Edited on by Samus7Killer

Samus7Killer

Fooligan

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut is on sale on the eShop for $12.49!

Also, yes, Child of Light is ONE OF the best eShop games. Too bad the Wii U version didn't get the DLC the other version got. I would have paid for it.

These pretzels are making me thirsty

"See, my damie, Pootie Tang don't wa-da-tah to the shama cow... 'cause thats a cama cama leepa-chaiii, dig?" - Pootie Tang

Samus7Killer

Fooligan wrote:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut is on sale on the eShop for $12.49!

Also, yes, Child of Light is ONE OF the best eShop games. Too bad the Wii U version didn't get the DLC the other version got. I would have paid for it.

that sux it didn't get it. I woulda paid for it also. I should just get it on PSN to own it all. Sux cause I enjoyed using the gamepad playing that game! Sux!

Samus7Killer

EmirParkreiner

I strongly recommend Ghost Blade HD. It's ba far the Wii U's best shmup.

EmirParkreiner

SuperLuigi111

Need some good recommendations. I'm into third person games and 3D platformers.

SuperLuigi111

Tiefseemiez

Maybe you just read through thread? "third person games" is pretty vague. And I assume for 3D-platformers you already know Mario 3D World is good. Also be aware that the whole Wii library is also playable on Wii U, so I suggest Mario Galaxy 1+2. I am not that much into 3D platformers myself, so I cannot recommend much more.

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

SuperLuigi111

Tiefseemiez wrote:

Maybe you just read through thread? "third person games" is pretty vague. And I assume for 3D-platformers you already know Mario 3D World is good. Also be aware that the whole Wii library is also playable on Wii U, so I suggest Mario Galaxy 1+2. I am not that much into 3D platformers myself, so I cannot recommend much more.

Okay, that's quite rude. I am not reading through 22 pages of a thread. If you don't have anything nice or constructive to say, maybe don't say it at all.

You posted an entire thread about "short" 3DS games, so don't go there. Third-person isn't really vague. I'm not that into first-person games, which dominate the landscape these days.

Edited on by SuperLuigi111

SuperLuigi111

gcunit

@SuperLuigi111 If you're looking for third person games, and are including mature titles, then I'd definitely recommend Watch_Dogs, Darksiders, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed.

Though perhaps these aren't what are classed as 'eshop games'.

Edited on by gcunit

SuperLuigi111

gcunit wrote:

@SuperLuigi111 If you're looking for third person games, and are including mature titles, then I'd definitely recommend Watch_Dogs, Darksiders, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed.

Though perhaps these aren't what are classed as 'eshop games'.

Played everything but Deus Ex and Darksiders on playstation consoles, so I've been eyeballing Deus Ex in particular, looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation nonetheless.

SuperLuigi111

grizzgolf

Not to bump up an old thread or anything but I have a question.

I'm looking at buying Wario Land Shake It and DKCR for the Wii on my Wii U. Will I need a Wii remote to play those Wii games or can I use the Wii U controller to play them?

grizzgolf

gcunit

@grizzgolf Have you checked the respective eshop pages? According to the UK eshop Wii remotes are required for both games.

NintendoByNature

@grizzgolf like gc said any Wii game requires a wiimote or a Wii classic pro controller I'm pretty sure

NintendoByNature

grizzgolf

gcunit wrote:

@grizzgolf Have you checked the respective eshop pages? According to the UK eshop Wii remotes are required for both games.

I didnt even know they had a page. Thank you! Looks like im ordering a Wii remote.

grizzgolf

Zeldafan79

Guys i have a quick question since we're on the subject of the eshop. I have a wii u that's been modded and I'm kinda afraid to try accessing the shop with it. Will i still be able to buy games on there or will i get bricked or banned? Anyone got a modded wii u that can confirm this?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Gryffin

GTWarrior77 wrote:

@DefHalan, @Spuratis, @kkslider5552000 - Thanks for your response.
I'll go with Fusion first and tackle Super Metroid later. I'm very happy about GBA games coming to the Wii U since I never played them back in the day.

So, how did it go?

Gryffin

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic