Forums

Topic: Wii U eShop Recommendations thread

Posts 401 to 420 of 421

CroRock

yeserday I bought Zelda: Skyward Sword and this game is a blast. it takes time (very short time) to get used to motion contols but once u mastered them it feels great. I really don't understand all the hate for this game. IMO it is one of the best from series. and i'm loving every aspect of SS gameplay... yea.. even that "linearity".
highly recommended

3ds FC: 2294 - 4578 - 7970

chiefeagle02

I bought Explody Bomb this morning for only a penny. If it's anything like "Hold Your Fire", it'll be alright (in my opinion).

"The only Zen you find on tops of mountains is the Zen you bring there." -Robert Pirsig

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0551-8551 | Nintendo Network ID: chiefeagle02 | Twitter:

DefHalan

How is Adventures of Pip? It looks interesting and I was thinking of picking it up

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SKTTR

Got a few new games ready to preview/review

9.3/10 Axiom Verge (Thomas Happ Games / BlitWorks)
GOOD: Original world, thick atmosphere, great "Super Metroid" gameplay, fantastic graphics, soundtrack, secrets, online leaderboards
BAD: German translation

8.5/10 Futuridium EP Deluxe (MixedBag)
GOOD: Smooth polished gameplay, fast-paced intense action, 100+ well-designed stages, unlockables and extras, online leaderboards
BAD: It kills casual gamers.

7/10 Mahjong (Sanuk Games)
GOOD: Very nice presentation and atmosphere / 70 stages / 4 themes
BAD: Only 2D graphics / just 2 songs

7/10 Tetraminos (Sanuk Games)
GOOD: Solid clone for a fiver / 3 modes incl. 50 Puzzle Stages / multiplayer for 2-4 players
BAD: No pure Tetris mode inside. / No online play or online leaderboards.

6/10 Brick Breaker (Sanuk Games)
GOOD: Just 5 bucks, 100 stages, 3 multiplayer modes for 2-4 players, nice brick-color mechanic
BAD: Struggling with slowdown, reusing soundtrack from Tetraminos, more cloney than innovative

5/10 Bird Mania Party (Teyon)
GOOD: 4 player mode, endless rng highscore hunting, online leaderboards, achievements
BAD: my name won't show up on the online leaderboards! I'm just a blank in the rank.

1.5/10 Touch Selections (RCMADIAX)
GOOD: Peg Solitaire has 14 different boards
BAD: The scores and highscores are useless because glitchy / Looks like a videogame from 1958. / Avoider

1/10 Shooty Space (RCMADIAX)
GOOD: Nothing
BAD: Everything

• My newest games / saving my score for later:

Soul Axiom (Wales Interactive)
SteamWorld Heist (Image & Form Games)
Severed (DrinkBox Studios)
Jotun - Valhalla Edition (Thunder Lotus Games)
Dual Core (Gray Fin Studios)
Noitu Love Devolution (MP2 Games / Konjak)
3Souls (Red Column)
SDK Spriter (HullBreach Studios)
Tachyon Project (Eclipse Games)

I'm working on reviews for Noitu Love and SDK Spriter. And when they're up, it's a damn hard decision what to play next! Most of them are real quality titles.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

SKTTR

9/10 SteamWorld Heist (Image & Form Games)
GOOD: Innovative roundbased strategy, charming characters, great atmosphere, good content, adding crew members, nice soundtrack
BAD: DLC costs extra / useless "hat"-DLC

8/10 Soul Axiom (Wales Interactive)
GOOD: artful and dark worlds, moody soundtrack, dark story, interesting puzzles, worthy Master Reboot sequel
BAD: Framerate issues. No quicksave.

8/10 Noitu Love Devolution (MP2 Games / Konjak)
GOOD: Fast-paced arcade gameplay in NeoGeo/MegaDrive style. Nice control options.
BAD: Very short. Wii U version is missing the in-game stats screen.

7/10 Ninja Pizza Girl (Disparity Games)
GOOD: Neat parcour platformer, many collectibles, speedrun mode
BAD: Framerate issues.

6/10 SDK Spriter (HullBreach Studios)
GOOD: Creative app for making animated characters, objects, and maps
BAD: Interface issues, lacking basic tools, not much depth

I haven't spend enough time with my other new games but I'm sure they are in the 8/10 - 9/10 range

• Severed (DrinkBox Studios)
  • Jotun - Valhalla Edition (Thunder Lotus Games)
  • Dual Core (Gray Fin Studios)
    and 6/10 - 7/10 range
  • 3Souls (Red Column)
  • Tachyon Project (Eclipse Games)

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Xyphon22

Does anyone have any feelings about Shadow Puppeteer? I have wanted to try it, and it is half-price for another week, but the review says it only lasts 2-3 hours, so even $7.50 might be a little much. How does it compare to Lost in Shadow, which I really enjoyed?

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

SKTTR

Apart from being a little rough around the edges Shadow Puppeteer doesn't look like the typical indie game, it has the feel and presentation of a retail title. The Tim Burton-esque atmosphere is great, the stages are varied, the co-op is fun, and hidden collectibles generate replay value with exploration, optional puzzles and unlockable art.

backloggery.com/SKTTR

SKTTR

Also, I really recommend Blasting Agent - Ultimate Edition if you are into games like Contra, Turrican, Mega Man, and Metroid. For just 2,99€ (minus 15% because it's on sale right now) it's a great little retro style action-platformer.

Blasting Agent has a nice detailed retro design, 6 varied and fun stages + cool bosses, you can find upgrades and unlock power ups, a hard mode, and costumes. The controls are simple and spot on. One of the subtle qualities of the game is that it has fun intelligent enemy AI and advanced physics that you normally don't see in a retro style game. With unlimited lives, continuing with full hearts, many checkpoints, not respawning defeated enemies, permanent upgrades and power ups, auto-save and level select, frustration is kept to a minimum. I really enjoyed playing through the game on easy and hard mode 100%.
The developer plans an update: an online leaderboard Boss Rush mode and other enhancements.
The only issue I have with the game is that it unfortunately has no off-tv-play, at least not yet.

Blasting Agent is my secret surprise tip for retro action fans. It could have easily been a NES, C64, Master System all-time classic. If you have 3 bucks left and like big pixel action don't skip!

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Xyphon22

@SKTTR Thanks. Do you think it would still be worth it if I will probably never play co-op? I hear that is the best part of the game, but I don't think anybody will play with me much (my almost 5-year-old son may try, but I don't think he would be very good at it).

Xyphon22

SKTTR

@Xyphon22 Playing alone can be both, easier and harder.
Easier, because you don't have to depend on a second player that may not be in rhythm with you.
Harder, because you'll have to control both characters simultaneously.

However, I completed the game all on my own, and for most stages and puzzles you can take your sweet time with both characters. In boss stages however you have to know the controls and be quick.

Both characters use an analog stick to move, and two buttons (one jump button, and the other button to pick up items and use objects). So, in one player you have to get used to play twinstick (2 characters in tandem) with 4 buttons. The stages are of medium size, never too long, but varied, and with many checkpoints. And yes, there are a few areas where a second player would make things easier (final boss), obviously. But I managed to get 100% in solo anyway.

Never Alone is a somewhat similar game in that it's enjoyable in both solo and co-op.

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Xyphon22

Sounds good. I think I'll probably end up getting it since the sale is so good and it is one I have been wanting. I enjoyed Never Alone, and I have a little over $9 left after I bought Year Walk and the DLC trial for Dual Destinies, so maybe it's a sign that I should get it since I have just enough.

Xyphon22

SKTTR

Perfect snacks for in-between!!

For Retro Action fans I recommend BLASTING AGENT - ULTIMATE EDITION (2,99)
and for Point & Click Adventure fans I recommend Mr. PUMPKIN ADVENTURE (3,99).

Well-made, fun Wii U games for a low price!

backloggery.com/SKTTR

ProjectX1991

Is Child of Light a good game? It's currently on sale so really considering it. I've never really done Nindie stuff as I'm not sure on what's good and what isn't...so I'm pretty new to this side of it.

ProjectX1991

gcunit

@ProjectX1991 As with any game, YMMV. I've played about 90 minutes of it, maybe a bit more (it was a while ago). It's a lovely looking but I found it heavily tarnished by the battling. While I think encounters are largely avoidable, you'll obviously want to 'level up' by battling. The battles consist of turn-based moves and I found it very repetitive very quickly and it put me off continuing with the game.

So from my perspective, your enjoyment of the game will be dependent on whether you like the battling mechanic.

Right now in my head, it's all horses, horses, horses, food, and horses.

Currently playing: Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Yoshi's Woolly World

Switch Friend code: SW-3124-5612-5724 - I like to keep a tight list of peeps I'm familiar with.

spizzamarozzi

So, here's a few of my latest purchases:

FREEZE ME: this was recommended to me by @SKTTR during a Miiverse exchange IIRC and he made a great job at mentioning both the good and the bad, so I kinda new what I was getting into. It's a 3D platformer based on the blueprint of Super Mario 64, so, very large levels that you play over and over with different tasks to accomplish. Basically, it could very well be a SM64 bootleg (with all the usual issues of bootlegs), with the added ability of being able to freeze enemies, platforms and other objects. There are many things I really like about it, first and foremost it's great to see a "mascot/collectathon" platformer that is colourful and vibrant (not that these games have disappeared, they have just been present under different guises, and mostly with darker tones because the average age of videogamers has gone up). I also really REALLY like how the freezing mechanic is implemented and I found most of the sections well thought out and not boring.
The big problem is, predictably, the camera. This is something even big studios struggle with when doing 3D platformers (example: Epic Mickey) so I certainly didn't expect a game done by a single developer to nail the camera like Galaxy. The camera is bad and some of the passages that you could do in 2 minutes with a reliable camera take instead 20 minutes. So it really depends on how tolerant you are of camera issues. I acknowledge it's an obvious problem but I am willing to cope with it to enjoy a type of game I haven't played in a while. Other people might throw the joystick out the window after five minutes - I dunno. I'm halfway into the game and temporarily, I would rate this ★★★/5

STEAMWORLD HEIST: not much to say, this is one of those game every WiiU owner should have. It is simply excellent in all departments. Even if you don't like strategy games (and SH is very LIGHT on strategy, it's more of an action game that requires a monimum of thinking ahead) you should play it. One word about longevity - the game costs €15 and takes a minimum of 17-20 hours to complete the campaign, which is one of the nicest value/money deals you can get on the eShop. Get it get it get it ★★★★★/5

TESTLAGRAD: this is one extremely pretty metroidvania game but unfortunately it contains two of the three things I hate the most in videogames: GRAVITY PUZZLES and AIMLESS WANDERING. So if you are not afraid of magnets like I am and don't mind backtracking in fear of having missed somethig, this might just be the game for you. Like Limbo, it's clearly a quality game but not for me. Temporarily I would say ★★/5

I was interested in Soul Axiom because of the discount (and because I haven't played a game in first person in years) but I'm not sure. Let's say my enjoyment of Master Reboot was...errmm...60%!? Great atmosphere, great vibe, great everything but the "meat" of the game was just extremely dull puzzles. So, I don't want to spend €8 and end up with a game with amazing atmosphere but where all you do is collect things and shuffle cubes around...I mean, not that I dislike that, but I would rather get other kinds of games at the moment...

My Super Mario Maker levels

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

spizzamarozzi

Not a very good selection of indies this time:

MUTANT MUDDS SUPER CHALLENGE: a very, VERY simple platformer in which you almost exclusively jump and shoot monsters and that's it. It almost feels as if I'm back to the C64 days. Since there's nothing even remotely interesting about this game, they decided to make it interesting by cranking the difficulty level up to 8.5. This results in a number of sections that are simply pointless, hard just for the sake of being hard in a very unimaginative way. The reason I'm saying it's highly uncreative is because anybody can make their game harder by placing enemies in narrow passageways or adding slippery surfaces right before instant-death spikes and bottomless pits. I guess it's okay and playable if you pretend you are in 1987 and the challenges are challenging if you're up for a challenge. To its credit, the game has enough length for money, comes with cross-buy and it's probably more interesting on the 3DS where you can see the little 3D effect they use to give you the impression you are playing on different planes. ★★/5

XEODRIFTER: very good "I wanna be Metroid" game - charming visuals, great feel when controlling the character, good structure of the explorable levels. Everything about this game is good. It only has one downside: it lasts 2 hours and costs €9 (£7.7 for you people of England). I don't want to enter the old length/price diatribe, but I think it's very disappointing when you spend that sum of money and a couple hours later the game is finished and you have no reason to boot it up again unless you want to "improve your time" (which to me is like reading the same page of a book over and over). Nine euro for 5 hours?! Excellent. Five euro for 2 hours?! Great. But €9 for 2 hours...no. Luckly I got it for a sale price, otherwise I'd be outside scratching random cars in revenge. ★★/5

DON'T STARVE: I can tell this game is much better than the experience I've had with it, but I simply couldn't be arsed to deal with the unnecessarily complicated item management menu, which you control through an esoteric mixture of shoulder buttons, D-Pad and A/B. I started this game quite a few times, and each time I kept forgetting how to do the most basic stuff, so I gave up, although I plan to pick it up again sometimes. Also, it didn't help that the text on the screen is #$@&%*! MINUSCULE. ?????/5

Also bought the new Oddworld but fell asleep after 30 minutes. Zzzzz

My Super Mario Maker levels

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Samus7Killer

Child of Light is the best eShop game money can buy... INfact it's the best Ubisoft game of all time.

Samus7Killer

gcunit

@Samus7Killer That is controversial. I loved the presentation in Child of Light, but the battle system got old real quick for me. I put the game down fairly early on and haven't gone back to it.

Right now in my head, it's all horses, horses, horses, food, and horses.

Currently playing: Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Yoshi's Woolly World

Switch Friend code: SW-3124-5612-5724 - I like to keep a tight list of peeps I'm familiar with.

Samus7Killer

@gcunit how is that controversial? If that's controversial, well what I can say about BOTW would be shocking.. probably even get me banned here for expressing an opinion. Didn't mean to offend you, but you'll just have to get over that... Child of Light is a great game. Anyone that loves old school JRPGs and Rayman would love this mixture of a game. The game is great. It's pretty original. Like I said it's a mix of Rayman and some good ole JRPG mixed in (Grandia to be exact)...,.. And the rhyming dialogue is totally unique and makes it extra fun along with a great story.

Edited on by Samus7Killer

Samus7Killer

Fooligan

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut is on sale on the eShop for $12.49!

Also, yes, Child of Light is ONE OF the best eShop games. Too bad the Wii U version didn't get the DLC the other version got. I would have paid for it.

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic