Forums

Topic: Wii U eShop Recommendations thread

Posts 381 to 400 of 423

CanisWolfred

@SKTTR - I reallty outta look at some gameplay videos of Letter Quest. It's been getting some decent praise, but it just sounds so...weird. Also, I liked your Poncho review, it was very detailed. Good job.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SKTTR

@CanisWolfred Thank you.

As for weird games, I call them original games, and I like them. ^^

Especially when it adds variety that is fun and fresh, and runs in good quality (it has way less issues than most games these days), and has 30+ hours of content for a nice price, and Letter Quest Remastered is one of those Wii U eShop games.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

DefHalan

@CanisWolfred typing of the dead?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SKTTR

@CanisWolfred: Because Letter Quest Remastered is not just about typing to win, it's also strategic planning of what books, weapons and items to equip and what words to make (not just any word),

Also for me it's about giving Nintendo gamers something brandnew, and not just a sequel or another platformer or partygame.

And more than anything it's about the people who enjoy such games and rate it 8/10.
I completed normal mode and it took me around 30 hours to get everything 100%.
I see myself going back to it one day to tackle hard mode and endless mode.

CanisWolfred

@SKTTR - Letter Quest started out as a mobile game, and has been ported to every modern platform under the sun. Granted, it's been winning awards all over the place, too, my point was more that my spelling's terrible, but I still kinda wanted to try it. But after watching some videos, it looks like Puzzle-Quest-meets-Scrabble, none of which is really "my thing". I'm glad you, among many others, enjoyed it. But I hated Scrabble, and my spelling is bad enough when I'm not under pressure. Nevermind not having instant access to Dictionary.com at all times...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CroRock

yeserday I bought Zelda: Skyward Sword and this game is a blast. it takes time (very short time) to get used to motion contols but once u mastered them it feels great. I really don't understand all the hate for this game. IMO it is one of the best from series. and i'm loving every aspect of SS gameplay... yea.. even that "linearity".
highly recommended

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

chiefeagle02

I bought Explody Bomb this morning for only a penny. If it's anything like "Hold Your Fire", it'll be alright (in my opinion).

"The only Zen you find on tops of mountains is the Zen you bring there." -Robert Pirsig

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0551-8551 | My Nintendo: chiefeagle02 | Nintendo Network ID: chiefeagle02 | Twitter:

DefHalan

How is Adventures of Pip? It looks interesting and I was thinking of picking it up

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SKTTR

Got a few new games ready to preview/review

9.3/10 Axiom Verge (Thomas Happ Games / BlitWorks)
GOOD: Original world, thick atmosphere, great "Super Metroid" gameplay, fantastic graphics, soundtrack, secrets, online leaderboards
BAD: German translation

8.5/10 Futuridium EP Deluxe (MixedBag)
GOOD: Smooth polished gameplay, fast-paced intense action, 100+ well-designed stages, unlockables and extras, online leaderboards
BAD: It kills casual gamers.

7/10 Mahjong (Sanuk Games)
GOOD: Very nice presentation and atmosphere / 70 stages / 4 themes
BAD: Only 2D graphics / just 2 songs

7/10 Tetraminos (Sanuk Games)
GOOD: Solid clone for a fiver / 3 modes incl. 50 Puzzle Stages / multiplayer for 2-4 players
BAD: No pure Tetris mode inside. / No online play or online leaderboards.

6/10 Brick Breaker (Sanuk Games)
GOOD: Just 5 bucks, 100 stages, 3 multiplayer modes for 2-4 players, nice brick-color mechanic
BAD: Struggling with slowdown, reusing soundtrack from Tetraminos, more cloney than innovative

5/10 Bird Mania Party (Teyon)
GOOD: 4 player mode, endless rng highscore hunting, online leaderboards, achievements
BAD: my name won't show up on the online leaderboards! I'm just a blank in the rank.

1.5/10 Touch Selections (RCMADIAX)
GOOD: Peg Solitaire has 14 different boards
BAD: The scores and highscores are useless because glitchy / Looks like a videogame from 1958. / Avoider

1/10 Shooty Space (RCMADIAX)
GOOD: Nothing
BAD: Everything

• My newest games / saving my score for later:

Soul Axiom (Wales Interactive)
SteamWorld Heist (Image & Form Games)
Severed (DrinkBox Studios)
Jotun - Valhalla Edition (Thunder Lotus Games)
Dual Core (Gray Fin Studios)
Noitu Love Devolution (MP2 Games / Konjak)
3Souls (Red Column)
SDK Spriter (HullBreach Studios)
Tachyon Project (Eclipse Games)

I'm working on reviews for Noitu Love and SDK Spriter. And when they're up, it's a damn hard decision what to play next! Most of them are real quality titles.

Edited on by SKTTR

SKTTR

9/10 SteamWorld Heist (Image & Form Games)
GOOD: Innovative roundbased strategy, charming characters, great atmosphere, good content, adding crew members, nice soundtrack
BAD: DLC costs extra / useless "hat"-DLC

8/10 Soul Axiom (Wales Interactive)
GOOD: artful and dark worlds, moody soundtrack, dark story, interesting puzzles, worthy Master Reboot sequel
BAD: Framerate issues. No quicksave.

8/10 Noitu Love Devolution (MP2 Games / Konjak)
GOOD: Fast-paced arcade gameplay in NeoGeo/MegaDrive style. Nice control options.
BAD: Very short. Wii U version is missing the in-game stats screen.

7/10 Ninja Pizza Girl (Disparity Games)
GOOD: Neat parcour platformer, many collectibles, speedrun mode
BAD: Framerate issues.

6/10 SDK Spriter (HullBreach Studios)
GOOD: Creative app for making animated characters, objects, and maps
BAD: Interface issues, lacking basic tools, not much depth

I haven't spend enough time with my other new games but I'm sure they are in the 8/10 - 9/10 range

• Severed (DrinkBox Studios)
  • Jotun - Valhalla Edition (Thunder Lotus Games)
  • Dual Core (Gray Fin Studios)
    and 6/10 - 7/10 range
  • 3Souls (Red Column)
  • Tachyon Project (Eclipse Games)

Edited on by SKTTR

Xyphon22

Does anyone have any feelings about Shadow Puppeteer? I have wanted to try it, and it is half-price for another week, but the review says it only lasts 2-3 hours, so even $7.50 might be a little much. How does it compare to Lost in Shadow, which I really enjoyed?

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

SKTTR

Apart from being a little rough around the edges Shadow Puppeteer doesn't look like the typical indie game, it has the feel and presentation of a retail title. The Tim Burton-esque atmosphere is great, the stages are varied, the co-op is fun, and hidden collectibles generate replay value with exploration, optional puzzles and unlockable art.

SKTTR

Also, I really recommend Blasting Agent - Ultimate Edition if you are into games like Contra, Turrican, Mega Man, and Metroid. For just 2,99€ (minus 15% because it's on sale right now) it's a great little retro style action-platformer.

Blasting Agent has a nice detailed retro design, 6 varied and fun stages + cool bosses, you can find upgrades and unlock power ups, a hard mode, and costumes. The controls are simple and spot on. One of the subtle qualities of the game is that it has fun intelligent enemy AI and advanced physics that you normally don't see in a retro style game. With unlimited lives, continuing with full hearts, many checkpoints, not respawning defeated enemies, permanent upgrades and power ups, auto-save and level select, frustration is kept to a minimum. I really enjoyed playing through the game on easy and hard mode 100%.
The developer plans an update: an online leaderboard Boss Rush mode and other enhancements.
The only issue I have with the game is that it unfortunately has no off-tv-play, at least not yet.

Blasting Agent is my secret surprise tip for retro action fans. It could have easily been a NES, C64, Master System all-time classic. If you have 3 bucks left and like big pixel action don't skip!

Edited on by SKTTR

Xyphon22

@SKTTR Thanks. Do you think it would still be worth it if I will probably never play co-op? I hear that is the best part of the game, but I don't think anybody will play with me much (my almost 5-year-old son may try, but I don't think he would be very good at it).

Xyphon22

SKTTR

@Xyphon22 Playing alone can be both, easier and harder.
Easier, because you don't have to depend on a second player that may not be in rhythm with you.
Harder, because you'll have to control both characters simultaneously.

However, I completed the game all on my own, and for most stages and puzzles you can take your sweet time with both characters. In boss stages however you have to know the controls and be quick.

Both characters use an analog stick to move, and two buttons (one jump button, and the other button to pick up items and use objects). So, in one player you have to get used to play twinstick (2 characters in tandem) with 4 buttons. The stages are of medium size, never too long, but varied, and with many checkpoints. And yes, there are a few areas where a second player would make things easier (final boss), obviously. But I managed to get 100% in solo anyway.

Never Alone is a somewhat similar game in that it's enjoyable in both solo and co-op.

Xyphon22

Sounds good. I think I'll probably end up getting it since the sale is so good and it is one I have been wanting. I enjoyed Never Alone, and I have a little over $9 left after I bought Year Walk and the DLC trial for Dual Destinies, so maybe it's a sign that I should get it since I have just enough.

Xyphon22

SKTTR

Perfect snacks for in-between!!

For Retro Action fans I recommend BLASTING AGENT - ULTIMATE EDITION (2,99)
and for Point & Click Adventure fans I recommend Mr. PUMPKIN ADVENTURE (3,99).

Well-made, fun Wii U games for a low price!

ProjectX1991

Is Child of Light a good game? It's currently on sale so really considering it. I've never really done Nindie stuff as I'm not sure on what's good and what isn't...so I'm pretty new to this side of it.

ProjectX1991

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic