Wii U eShop Forum

Topic: Wii U DLC Age Limit

Showing 21 to 40 of 46

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

21. Posted:

Well than if your parents know and approve of it have them make an account. That's what I did with my son.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

22. Posted:

blackjim wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

blackjim wrote:

I shouldn't be playing it? I didn't make this thread for people telling me I shouldn't be playing these games, I came for a solution. No matter what your opinion is, it's pretty freaking stupid I can't download the DLC.

Not really what would be the point of them rating the game if minors could download it anyway?

Ratings are suggestions, not laws. My parents know I play M games, and if I can play the disc on my account I should be able to download DLC, too.

Actually, they are law, otherwise you'd be able to download an M game. It's like buying a ticket to a rated R movie. Did you need a parent present to buy a rated M disc? I used to get denied by clerks all the time when I was 12-16 years old when I started buying M games. I would have to get my dad to go buy ot for me. If someones letting you buy a rated M games, they aren't doing their job, or they don't realize which can get them in trouble just as much as doing it on purpose. It's very rare a clerk at GameStop will let a minor buy an M game, because they are focusing on only games, as a movie person would do for movie tickets. So again, it is law, and even if it's not mentioned in state law(even though I think it is actually), a business can have rules in a facility.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WildMan

23. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

blackjim wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

blackjim wrote:

I shouldn't be playing it? I didn't make this thread for people telling me I shouldn't be playing these games, I came for a solution. No matter what your opinion is, it's pretty freaking stupid I can't download the DLC.

Not really what would be the point of them rating the game if minors could download it anyway?

Ratings are suggestions, not laws. My parents know I play M games, and if I can play the disc on my account I should be able to download DLC, too.

Actually, they are law, otherwise you'd be able to download an M game. It's like buying a ticket to a rated R movie. Did you need a parent present to buy a rated M disc? I used to get denied by clerks all the time when I was 12-16 years old when I started buying M games. I would have to get my dad to go buy ot for me. If someones letting you buy a rated M games, they aren't doing their job, or they don't realize which can get them in trouble just as much as doing it on purpose. It's very rare a clerk at GameStop will let a minor buy an M game, because they are focusing on only games, as a movie person would do for movie tickets. So again, it is law, and even if it's not mentioned in state law(even though I think it is actually), a business can have rules in a facility.

I actually think that varies from state to state. Here in Minnesota, there's no law as far as I can tell regulating M game purchases to 18+ year olds, although many stores here go by that standard anyways..

Mmm Chicken

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

24. Posted:

MrNiceGuy wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

blackjim wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

blackjim wrote:

I shouldn't be playing it? I didn't make this thread for people telling me I shouldn't be playing these games, I came for a solution. No matter what your opinion is, it's pretty freaking stupid I can't download the DLC.

Not really what would be the point of them rating the game if minors could download it anyway?

Ratings are suggestions, not laws. My parents know I play M games, and if I can play the disc on my account I should be able to download DLC, too.

Actually, they are law, otherwise you'd be able to download an M game. It's like buying a ticket to a rated R movie. Did you need a parent present to buy a rated M disc? I used to get denied by clerks all the time when I was 12-16 years old when I started buying M games. I would have to get my dad to go buy ot for me. If someones letting you buy a rated M games, they aren't doing their job, or they don't realize which can get them in trouble just as much as doing it on purpose. It's very rare a clerk at GameStop will let a minor buy an M game, because they are focusing on only games, as a movie person would do for movie tickets. So again, it is law, and even if it's not mentioned in state law(even though I think it is actually), a business can have rules in a facility.

I actually think that varies from state to state. Here in Minnesota, there's no law as far as I can tell regulating M game purchases to 18+ year olds, although many stores here go by that standard anyways..

Exactly. Where I live, it is law, and in Germany apparently also. Some will still deny purchase of an 'adult' game for the sake of their business moral like you say. It really depends, but the ratings wouldn't exist if no one thought they were necessary. Just like if you guys go on the internet at school, and the content filter blocks you from certain sites. The school has to uphold an appropriate learning area, which is required by law.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

25. Posted:

@SCAR392
The ratings on games, movies, music, etc. are not enforceable by law in the United States.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 21 Copies. 2 Sealed, 6 CIB, 3 Boxed, 10 Loose.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

26. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

@SCAR392
The ratings on games, movies, music, etc. are not enforceable by law in the United States.

Ok, thanks for the info, but that still doesn't stop stores from asking if your old enough. They probably do think it's law like I did. Either way, you can't do anything anything but grow up, or get an adult.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DarkEdi

27. Posted:

Later he will ask a recomendation for a movie rated M.

Wii U: edi_tena (please tell me you are from NintendoLife)
Me gusta jugar videojuegos. Soy de México. Sorry my english grammar. I love the Virtual Console, party and fighting games too.

Nintendo Network ID: edi_tena

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

28. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

the_shpydar wrote:

@SCAR392
The ratings on games, movies, music, etc. are not enforceable by law in the United States.

Ok, thanks for the info, but that still doesn't stop stores from asking if your old enough. They probably do think it's law like I did. Either way, you can't do anything anything but grow up, or get an adult.

I know my buddy worked at Gamestop years ago and I dont know if they still do but when he was trained they really enforced it even to the fact that you could lose your job if they found out that you sold an M rated game to a minor. I dont know if all the places do that but it would make sense even if its not against the state or federal law that employees would refuse a minor for the sake of their job.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

29. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

the_shpydar wrote:

@SCAR392
The ratings on games, movies, music, etc. are not enforceable by law in the United States.

Ok, thanks for the info, but that still doesn't stop stores from asking if your old enough. They probably do think it's law like I did. Either way, you can't do anything anything but grow up, or get an adult.

I know my buddy worked at Gamestop years ago and I dont know if they still do but when he was trained they really enforced it even to the fact that you could lose your job if they found out that you sold an M rated game to a minor. I dont know if all the places do that but it would make sense even if its not against the state or federal law that employees would refuse a minor for the sake of their job.

Well yeah. There's no enforceable law, but stores (or theatres, etc) have their own policies. Part of the whole point of the the industries having these voluntary rating systems is that the industries depend on the retailers to cooperate in the voluntary enforcement. If none of the retailers cooperated (for instance, by making it store policy that such games or movies are not sold to minors), it would potentially severely hurt the industries in their relationship with Washington, which could lead to more and more calls for actual legislation and legal enforcement (though i still doubt any such proposals would be able to withstand a Constitutional challenge).

So basically, while no one can go to jail for selling an M game to a minor (or letting a kid into an R rated movie), they could get fired due to the store's own policy on such matters.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 21 Copies. 2 Sealed, 6 CIB, 3 Boxed, 10 Loose.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blackjim

30. Posted:

DarkEdi wrote:

Later he will ask a recomendation for a movie rated M.

There's rated M movies? That's new. Maybe next time you post you should actually help solve the problem, instead of making a comment like that.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm tired of all these posts saying "you shouldn't play it". Really. It's none of your business. Just help solve the problem or don't comment at all.

blackjim

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

31. Posted:

blackjim wrote:

DarkEdi wrote:

Later he will ask a recomendation for a movie rated M.

There's rated M movies? That's new. Maybe next time you post you should actually help solve the problem, instead of making a comment like that.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm tired of all these posts saying "you shouldn't play it". Really. It's none of your business. Just help solve the problem or don't comment at all.

Actually that is a solution Dark Edi is giving you. If you are below the required age you shouldn't be playing it. What's next are you going to rant on how you cant buy a beer or cigarettes or drive a car until you meet the required age? Rules are in place for a reason my friend and no its not to break them.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

32. Posted:

@Everyone complaining
Except that RATINGS AREN'T RULES.

They're guidelines. Now, I for one am not over 18, and my parents will not allow me to play games in that rating. That's fine! They're using the rating system as a guideline to what they think I shouldn't play (they're overprotective).

Now, every other friend of mine plays M rated games. There's no problem there! Their parents see them as mature enough to handle the themes in the game, so their parents let them get it!

The situation would be much more drastic if say, he was a 10-12 year old playing AC, but that's not the case. Lay off him.

Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

33. Posted:

First off let me say that I have a 12 year old son and I do let him play M games with in reason. Excessive gore, violence even a few naughty words ok I know that he knows the difference between a video game and real life and I believe that is how it should be handled. Now excessive sexual content is where I draw the line.

When I say rules I mean that Nintendo has rules of their own as to why a user under 18 can't download rated M games or DLC. That's the breaks. Thats like saying that Safeway is stupid cause they wont let my son buy beer or the DMV is stupid cause they wont let my 12 year old drive a car. If his parents are ok with him buying mature DLC than have them do it its just like taking a kid into an R rated movie. My son cant get into an R rated movie alone.

I love how people cant have their way its stupid and unfair.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

34. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

First off let me say that I have a 12 year old son and I do let him play M games with in reason. Excessive gore, violence even a few naughty words ok I know that he knows the difference between a video game and real life and I believe that is how it should be handled. Now excessive sexual content is where I draw the line.

When I say rules I mean that Nintendo has rules of their own as to why a user under 18 can't download rated M games or DLC. That's the breaks. Thats like saying that Safeway is stupid cause they wont let my son buy beer or the DMV is stupid cause they wont let my 12 year old drive a car. If his parents are ok with him buying mature DLC than have them do it its just like taking a kid into an R rated movie. My son cant get into an R rated movie alone.

I love how people cant have their way its stupid and unfair.

Well, I can see you're missing the point because he clearly stated his parents are okay with him downloading rated M content. He was looking for an answer to whether or not he could get the DLC anyway, and he was met with cries of "you should just wait until you're older". That's stupid.

Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

35. Posted:

TysonOfTime wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

First off let me say that I have a 12 year old son and I do let him play M games with in reason. Excessive gore, violence even a few naughty words ok I know that he knows the difference between a video game and real life and I believe that is how it should be handled. Now excessive sexual content is where I draw the line.

When I say rules I mean that Nintendo has rules of their own as to why a user under 18 can't download rated M games or DLC. That's the breaks. Thats like saying that Safeway is stupid cause they wont let my son buy beer or the DMV is stupid cause they wont let my 12 year old drive a car. If his parents are ok with him buying mature DLC than have them do it its just like taking a kid into an R rated movie. My son cant get into an R rated movie alone.

I love how people cant have their way its stupid and unfair.

Well, I can see you're missing the point because he clearly stated his parents are okay with him downloading rated M content. He was looking for an answer to whether or not he could get the DLC anyway, and he was met with cries of "you should just wait until you're older". That's stupid.

No I didn't miss the point. He asked how to get around it and it was answered no he just have to wait till he's older. He then proceeded that he shouldn't and thats stupid. Which was than replied by me anyways that that's the rules Nintendo set.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blackjim

36. Posted:

TysonOfTime wrote:

@Everyone complaining
Except that RATINGS AREN'T RULES.

They're guidelines. Now, I for one am not over 18, and my parents will not allow me to play games in that rating. That's fine! They're using the rating system as a guideline to what they think I shouldn't play (they're overprotective).

Now, every other friend of mine plays M rated games. There's no problem there! Their parents see them as mature enough to handle the themes in the game, so their parents let them get it!

The situation would be much more drastic if say, he was a 10-12 year old playing AC, but that's not the case. Lay off him.

Wow, an intelligent reply for once!

Since this thread has dissolved into a flame war about age guidelines, can a mod lock this thread? Because obviously people are uncapable of giving me a yes or no answer to my question and instead preach about now I shouldn't be playing it.

blackjim

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

37. Posted:

We did give you an answer and the answer is no there is no way to by pass it. If your parents approve you playing the game have them make an account and get the DLC that way. Then when you play the game on your profile you will have access to the DLC. I did it that way for the ZombiU demo for my son.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

38. Posted:

I'm not telling you to play it. There's just no way you can unless you make another account for your parents, or get older. Just get Tekken. I'm downloading that right now... It's T for teen.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

39. Posted:

Oh wait, sorry, I forgot you were getting DLC. Just make an account FOR your parents.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Big_L91

40. Posted:

yeah just make another account man i dont think because a 15 year old plays assassins creed hes going to run around tomahawking people. fair enough some games should be restriced but i wouldnt say assassins creed is one of them. jst think if it was a movie what would it be rated.
to be fair im struggling to think of many games that truely should be 18+ to play. maybe la noire and silent hill games.

put it on.