Wii U eShop Forum

Topic: Nintendo making us pay AGAIN for virtual console titles we have already purchased years ago **** WARNING: I'M UPSET ****

Showing 321 to 340 of 468

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

321. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

@Bankai
Are you saying that Apple doesn't charge you when they make a small enhancement to a product out on the market?

My thoughts exactly

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

322. Posted:

Bankai wrote: [/div]
Protip: Check the various metrics for businesses - share prices, market capitalisation, profit margins.

I didn't opinion those into existence.

Maybe you can give me another protip. Is losing 35% in its share price over the past 5 months pretty good?

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
“I’m just about that action, boss"
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

323. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

@Bankai
Are you saying that Apple doesn't charge you when they make a small enhancement to a product out on the market?

Apple doesn't charge you to play iPhone games on you iPad, or stream them to your Apple TV over AirPlay.

Nice try though. Missing the point since hardware and software require entirely different business models, but keep chugging along.

Also Nintendo isn't charging you to play the Wii VC games in your WiiU. They are only charging you if you want to upgrade them which iPhone games do all the time.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

324. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

@Bankai
It is true that Apple doesn't charge you to play software on their other machines but they don't monitor the software that much. It is not guaranteed that all software is playable on both. (It has been awhile since I last did research on this) Some older titles may not work on iPad. Apple makes hardware, Apple charges full price when they make the slightest change to that hardware. (How many iPhones have their been in how many years? Do they sell it at a loss?)

Apple leaves it to developers to make sure software is cross-compatible. Apple itself makes sure that the devices allow for that to happen.

I'm not talking about Apple's hardware. It's not the topic here.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

325. Posted:

Ryno_Choryzo wrote:

Bankai wrote: [/div]
Protip: Check the various metrics for businesses - share prices, market capitalisation, profit margins.

I didn't opinion those into existence.

Maybe you can give me another protip. Is losing 35% in its share price over the past 5 months pretty good?

And yet it's still the world's most valuable company.

Yeah, that's pretty impressive. Most companies would be pretty stressed out at a 35 per cent drop in share value.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

326. Posted:

And yet Apple products are becoming less and less impressive in comparison. Not good for Apple and its premium pricing in a market where the competition has caught up and even surpassed.

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
“I’m just about that action, boss"
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

327. Posted:

Ryno_Choryzo wrote:

And yet Apple products are becoming less and less impressive in comparison. Not good for Apple and its premium pricing in market where the competiont has caught up and even surpassed.

See, now you're using subjective opinion, rather than fact.

I'm willing to bet Apple understands better than you (or me, or anyone else on this forum) what products resonate in the market.

Speak to financial analysts and they chalk this up to deflated consumer spending. On account of the economy taking another dip and all that. Apple's not immune to broad economic trends.

The tech companies that are performing well at the moment - IBM being the standout - are more business orientated than Apple.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

328. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

@Bankai
It is true that Apple doesn't charge you to play software on their other machines but they don't monitor the software that much. It is not guaranteed that all software is playable on both. (It has been awhile since I last did research on this) Some older titles may not work on iPad. Apple makes hardware, Apple charges full price when they make the slightest change to that hardware. (How many iPhones have their been in how many years? Do they sell it at a loss?)

Apple leaves it to developers to make sure software is cross-compatible. Apple itself makes sure that the devices allow for that to happen.

I'm not talking about Apple's hardware. It's not the topic here.

I am sorry but you bring up Apple knowing they only develop the Hardware then try to say Apple doesn't count because they only develop Hardware?

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

329. Posted:

I just want an iPad with Mtn. Lion already. Until iPad comes with glasses free 3D, free 5g, and can teleport me, I'm gonna be pissed. Haha.

Microsoft + Apple = Cool

Sony + Nintendo = Awesome

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

330. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

Bankai wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

@Bankai
It is true that Apple doesn't charge you to play software on their other machines but they don't monitor the software that much. It is not guaranteed that all software is playable on both. (It has been awhile since I last did research on this) Some older titles may not work on iPad. Apple makes hardware, Apple charges full price when they make the slightest change to that hardware. (How many iPhones have their been in how many years? Do they sell it at a loss?)

Apple leaves it to developers to make sure software is cross-compatible. Apple itself makes sure that the devices allow for that to happen.

I'm not talking about Apple's hardware. It's not the topic here.

I am sorry but you bring up Apple knowing they only develop the Hardware then try to say Apple doesn't count because they only develop Hardware?

Apple develops software. Without the OS being compatible, app developers would be able to make their apps cross-compatible. Apple also has that Cloud thing, which on the user end is a software solution.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

331. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Bankai wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

@Bankai
It is true that Apple doesn't charge you to play software on their other machines but they don't monitor the software that much. It is not guaranteed that all software is playable on both. (It has been awhile since I last did research on this) Some older titles may not work on iPad. Apple makes hardware, Apple charges full price when they make the slightest change to that hardware. (How many iPhones have their been in how many years? Do they sell it at a loss?)

Apple leaves it to developers to make sure software is cross-compatible. Apple itself makes sure that the devices allow for that to happen.

I'm not talking about Apple's hardware. It's not the topic here.

I am sorry but you bring up Apple knowing they only develop the Hardware then try to say Apple doesn't count because they only develop Hardware?

Apple develops software. Without the OS being compatible, app developers would be able to make their apps cross-compatible. Apple also has that Cloud thing, which on the user end is a software solution.

And as I said in post #323 Nintendo did make it so you could play Wii VC on the WiiU

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

332. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Ryno_Choryzo wrote:

And yet Apple products are becoming less and less impressive in comparison. Not good for Apple and its premium pricing in market where the competiont has caught up and even surpassed.

See, now you're using subjective opinion, rather than fact.

I'm willing to bet Apple understands better than you (or me, or anyone else on this forum) what products resonate in the market.

Speak to financial analysts and they chalk this up to deflated consumer spending. On account of the economy taking another dip and all that. Apple's not immune to broad economic trends.

The tech companies that are performing well at the moment - IBM being the standout - are more business orientated than Apple.

Is your excuse for Apple, I mean the deflated consumer spending, the same reason to explain Samsung's record quarter?

What Would Duane Do?
“I’m just about that action, boss"
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KaiserGX

333. Posted:

Seeing how the TBD explained it I guess it's alright. I mean I already bought these games and I been playing them or years. I of course got my use out of them and then some. Instead of buying them again at full price, I can update them (I cant do that with my physical old games wish I wish you could). Sure it will cost me a lot vof all of them but in the mean time I still have my Wii VCs. Besides I think there's some games that won't be back on VC like TMNT.

I love VC, basically what the Wii was to me. So I will put down more cash to add those controller options like gamepad, as I can't play multiplayer right now with Wii VC ( I only have one classic controller pro). It was a lot of fun to play Balloon fight with my cousin today on the gamepad and classic controller pro. Seeing as he plays PS3 games like god of war I didn't think he's enjoy it.

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sean_Aaron

334. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Something about competition

Sorry I don't get it. Are you saying that because Nintendo is charging people who previously bought Wii VC games and transferred these games to their Wii Us .99 to buy a copy natively emulated on the Wii U, people who didn't own a Wii and VC games on the Wii would potentially not buy a Wii U?

That doesn't really make any sense. Surely the only influence this decision has is on people who are directly affected by it. People who don't already have Wii VC content have no stake in this at all; they probably wouldn't even be aware of it. Virtual Console would hardly seem to be a primary selling point of the Wii U as well - I mean who would buy a Wii U primarily for VC content? And if I do find the price too high, but I want classic Nintendo games, how is buying a Sony console where I can't get those games going to send a message to Nintendo - how would they even know that was a factor? Are people going to sell their Wii Us because Nintendo dares to charge .99 for the Wii U version of a game they own on Wii? No.

So enough with the hyperbole. It's not an "outrage" to charge an extra .99, the "outrage" was charging £3.50 for a 25-year old console game the first time and look how much blood flowed in the streets over that...

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KaiserGX

335. Posted:

I'm way happy with those prices seeing some games would cost me more, and maintenance, along with the console itself and keeping track of multiple controllers. Just having everything on one console, that's good for me.

The only thing I am upset about now is how many VCs are going to be at launch, what speed will they be released and if all will be released.

Edited on by KaiserGX

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

336. Posted:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Virtual Console would hardly seem to be a primary selling point of the Wii U as well - I mean who would buy a Wii U primarily for VC content?

I bought a Wii primarily for VC content. And I held off on getting a Wii U at launch because of there not being any info about the Wii U's VC other than them saying it was coming. After what I have now learned about the Wii U's VC, I have not yet decided if I even want to buy a Wii U at all now. It's not the $1 upgrade fee that is turning me away, it's the fact that the VC is starting from scratch. I am keeping a close eye on it though, and if Nintendo really impresses me with the VC I will consider picking up a Wii U.

For the record, I'm not saying all people are buying a Wii U just for the VC, or even a majority of people are, but there are others like me that consider the VC a big selling point.

Edited on by brooks83

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KaiserGX

337. Posted:

I know I do. I honestly wouldn't mind if they stopped making new games. VC wasn't my main reason, but it's pretty close up there and very important to me.

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

338. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Virtual Console would hardly seem to be a primary selling point of the Wii U as well - I mean who would buy a Wii U primarily for VC content?

I bought a Wii primarily for VC content. And I held off on getting a Wii U at launch because of there not being any info about the Wii U's VC other than them saying it was coming. After what I have now learned about the Wii U's VC, I have not yet decided if I even want to buy a Wii U at all now. It's not the $1 upgrade fee that is turning me away, it's the fact that the VC is starting from scratch. I am keeping a close eye on it though, and if Nintendo really impresses me with the VC I will consider picking up a Wii U.

For the record, I'm not saying all people are buying a Wii U just for the VC, or even a majority of people are, but there are others like me that consider the VC a big selling point.

For me it's the VC... Or future VC ie GCN games, or if you count WiiU titles as VC in like 10 years :P

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

339. Posted:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Something about competition

Sorry I don't get it. Are you saying that because Nintendo is charging people who previously bought Wii VC games and transferred these games to their Wii Us .99 to buy a copy natively emulated on the Wii U, people who didn't own a Wii and VC games on the Wii would potentially not buy a Wii U?

That doesn't really make any sense. Surely the only influence this decision has is on people who are directly affected by it. People who don't already have Wii VC content have no stake in this at all; they probably wouldn't even be aware of it. Virtual Console would hardly seem to be a primary selling point of the Wii U as well - I mean who would buy a Wii U primarily for VC content? And if I do find the price too high, but I want classic Nintendo games, how is buying a Sony console where I can't get those games going to send a message to Nintendo - how would they even know that was a factor? Are people going to sell their Wii Us because Nintendo dares to charge .99 for the Wii U version of a game they own on Wii? No.

So enough with the hyperbole. It's not an "outrage" to charge an extra .99, the "outrage" was charging £3.50 for a 25-year old console game the first time and look how much blood flowed in the streets over that...

That's a strawman if ever I did see one.

Being competitive - in the business/ marketing sense of the word - is not a binary win or loss deal. Being uncompetitive doesn't mean that customers won't buy your product - frozen pizzas continue to survive despite being as expensive and of a vastly inferior quality than fresh pizza - it means that the experience that people have with your product is not as good.

For something minor like this it's not going to spell the end of Nintendo - of course you're right about that. But regardless of what you feel about it it has pissed people off. It's pissed people off because the other guys out there do this stuff better and it's pissed people off because it speaks to Nintendo's attitude about digital, as well as its customers.

It's not going to stop people buying Nintendo products in itself, but if Nintendo persists with this strategy with future products and services it's going to increasingly alienate customers and, then eventually they will stop buying Nintendo's products.

The question is whether Nintendo is pissing off enough people for this to be a problem? Probably not, judging from this thread. Still doesn't change the fact it's pissed some people off, and still doesn't change the fact that it's uncompetitive behaviour by Nintendo, and if Nintendo continues to insist on being uncompetitive with digital, it's going to do something major at some point that will become a problem. Corporations don't just change their attitudes overnight - this pricing deal is representative of Nintendo's business strategies.

I never said it's an 'outrage' either. That's your word.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ToxieDogg

340. Posted:

JogurtTheYogurt wrote:

I knew it, I absolutely knew Nintendo was going to pull something like this even at 99pence per download for NES games that's £71 for me and £1.49 for Super Nintendo that's £45 also and what about the sega, neogeo,turbografix and N64 titles ?? Will I have to pay full price AGAIN for those titles ?? I cannot believe it that Nintendo would pull a stunt like this pure greed. Way to alienate the fanbase that have supported the virtual console SINCE THE VERY START From 2007 I bought zelda on day one that it was announced I have spent well over £1000 on all of my purchases and I still have to pay MORE money to get them on my Wii u ?? How completely absurd I am very angry and upset Nintendo has done this even at 99 pence a Dow load I still have to pay ! What about the thousands like me who have a large library of games I wonder how they feel ?

What are your thoughts on this and blackdragon please do not delete this ..

Nintendo aren't making you pay for anything again. You can freely transfer anything you've already downloaded on Wii over to Wii U and continue playing them free of charge. You have the option to pay a small extra fee if you'd like to play any VC you already own on the Gamepad. That's all there is to it. Nintendo aren't forcing you to do anything AND are letting you keep everything you downloaded on a previous gen system on your new console.

I've got a massive library of downloaded Wii VC games myself (80+) and I really don't see why you're getting so upset. You're probably another one of these people who expects to be given a free Blu Ray if you already bought a movie on DVD, etc.

You have no chance to survive, make your time!