Wii U eShop Forum

Topic: Nintendo making us pay AGAIN for virtual console titles we have already purchased years ago **** WARNING: I'M UPSET ****

Showing 261 to 280 of 468

AuthorMessage

edhe

261. Posted:

I've had time to think about this, and to be honest, I can live with it. Like I said, my only problems with the Wii Mode we currently have is that we are limited to a few Megabytes of virtual system space, and it takes a short while to swap between modes, but as long as my VC and WiiWare games are safe, I'm happy.

Who's to say when Nintendo releases their next console, they won't let us transfer everything over (as convoluted as it was) from the Wii U to the new console like they did the Wii & Wii U. That was pretty generous.

I will say one thing - this Gamepad play featuire - the unique selling point of these upgraded VC games: Wasn't that supposed to be implemented at launch?

My Backloggery
Wii #: 2706 9539 1977 4210
Yes. I have Wii Music
Edwardpon playplay Xenoblade Chronicles
WarioWare D.I.Y
Even I don't know how to pronounce my username
Follow a cow?

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260 | Nintendo Network ID: edhe84

AuthorMessage

Don

262. Posted:

Actually the worse thing Nintendo did was to make the funds separate for each eshop. So even if you have enough points to download a game on 1 account but not the other, you have to buy points separately. That's a much worse practice to rip people off. And no one has any right to defend Nintendo for doing this because it's seriously messed up.

Don

AuthorMessage

3DS_excel

263. Posted:

I can't understand the complaints here... If you don't want to pay any more for your VC titles then play them in Wii mode (or on your Wii). If you want the additional features, that cost money to implement, then pay the extra dollar or so.

Mr Money In the Bank!

3DS Friend Code: 2664-2208-5483

AuthorMessage

moomoo

264. Posted:

Don wrote:

Actually the worse thing Nintendo did was to make the funds separate for each eshop. So even if you have enough points to download a game on 1 account but not the other, you have to buy points separately. That's a much worse practice to rip people off. And no one has any right to defend Nintendo for doing this because it's seriously messed up.

That's... Actually a very good point. I never thought of that.

@Bankai For what it's worth, it's not like Nintendo isn't competitive in the online space simply because of this. If someone never owned a Nintendo system, or at least a Wii, they aren't being affected by this at all. The only people who are really going to care are people that supported VC in the first place, which are the die-hard Nintendo fans or the retro gamers, since Nintendo had virtually no online presence at all before. Yeah, I think they're still lagging behind Sony and Microsoft for other reasons, but not for this. And besides, Nintendo's organization of the eShop (not the content there, but the way it is run and organized is arguably better than both Sony's and Microsoft's stores, especially with devs allowed to make their own price cuts) and the inclusion of Miiverse show that they are serious with online gaming.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage

Ristar42

265. Posted:

I wouldn’t pay to play games I already downloaded on the Wii in this way, the 'extra features' are not worth it (to me).
A transferal system would have provided another incentive to buy the Wii U, but I guess its up to individuals if they want to pay these costs now.

It also means those with larger existing VC collections will be paying more, and I'd guess(I don’t 'know') that these features are added at the level of the emulator, so why not charge a single fee and let people 'upgrade' their existing collections?
At least that way, you wouldn’t pay more for having supported the VC in the Wii years.

The feature would have most mattered to me would be a 60Hz display option, which apparently isn’t supported.

Edited on by Ristar42

Ristar42

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

266. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Bankai wrote:

And then there will always be people to barrack for the weakest team in the league...

Mainly due to the fact they can't accept reality.

just as the both of you will always be around to harangue them, I'm sure. Can we keep the social commentary to a minimum, please, and focus on the topic at hand?

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

V8_Ninja

267. Posted:

Yeah...Nintendo really needs to get a working account system running on their consoles.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

268. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

And then there will always be people to barrack for the weakest team in the league...

Mainly due to the fact they can't accept reality.

Actually like I said, I've lost dlc on iTunes due to poor account tracking, and Xbox Live can get pretty crappy if the servers go down or lose stability, especially since it RELIES on it.... THAT's reality. PSN going down for months apparently has been forgotten. We got free games, but still. Maybe people that barrack for the 'weakest' team, can make the 'weak' team 'strong'. I put key words in quotations to cause less confusion about definitions from individuals. Don't have Wii U VC, people are pissed. We get Wii U VC, people are pissed. That's reality. If you want your games to be Wii U VC native, you'll pay whatever it takes.

It's probably not even about the money in this case. The system is probably reliant on an official transaction to upgrade your games. I recall someone being charged 50¢ to confirm parental controls. The transaction seals the deal. You can't just port the games afterall. It takes extra coding, which I knew even before the announcement.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

269. Posted:

I'm serious, drop the social commentary please — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

brooks83

270. Posted:

There is no extra work going into these games. The roms are identical to the roms on the Wii's VC. The only difference is in the emulator, which they made once and then just plugged in the roms. Granted, they may need to tweak certain settings for certain games to get them to work properly, but I would bet that less work goes into getting these games onto the Wii U's VC than the Wii's VC.

Edited on by brooks83

brooks83

AuthorMessage

Hokori

271. Posted:

@brroks actually restore points are added (which wasn't available until 3DS)

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

brooks83

272. Posted:

Another point to consider is that only the people who originally bought the game on the Wii's VC are paying more for the extra features. Someone who is buying the game on the Wii U's VC is paying $5 for an NES game (same as it was with the Wii) and is essentialy getting the extra features for free, while someone who bought the game on Wii paid $5 plus the extra $1 for "extra features". I think one way to alleviate people's dissapointment in this, at least for me, would be to allow people who bought the game on the Wii to upgrade their games before the games become available on the Wii U's VC. That would be a nice little bonus for supporting the VC on the Wii.

brooks83

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

273. Posted:

It doesn't matter. Work is work. You get paid the same amount of money whether you're working on par, or above par. At my old job, I had a 2860% efficiency rate compared to other workers that had a 60-80% efficiency rate over a span of 5 months. We all got paid the same ammount regardless.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

brooks83

274. Posted:

Hokori wrote:

Yeah, but that's through the emulator I would imagine.

brooks83

AuthorMessage

Hokori

275. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

Hokori wrote:

Well with the WiiU version that you buy for $5 it's already added with the Wii + $1 version they're taking one that had none to have one

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

276. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

I think one way to alleviate people's dissapointment in this, at least for me, would be to allow people who bought the game on the Wii to upgrade their games before the games become available on the Wii U's VC. That would be a nice little bonus for supporting the VC on the Wii.

or, they could let you have access to the games in question years before they finally become available as Wii U VC titles. sounds like a helluva bonus to me!

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

Reala

277. Posted:

Wasn't overly happy with this news myself when I first heard it, but considering they make you rebuy titles on 3DS wasn't that surprised, it has wii mode though so not really a big deal.

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

278. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

Hokori wrote:

Even if it is, I'm sure someone had to playtest every game to make sure it works on that emulator. And there are around 400 games for the VC...

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Ernest_The_Crab

279. Posted:

edhe wrote:

I've had time to think about this, and to be honest, I can live with it. Like I said, my only problems with the Wii Mode we currently have is that we are limited to a few Megabytes of virtual system space, and it takes a short while to swap between modes, but as long as my VC and WiiWare games are safe, I'm happy.

Who's to say when Nintendo releases their next console, they won't let us transfer everything over (as convoluted as it was) from the Wii U to the new console like they did the Wii & Wii U. That was pretty generous.

I will say one thing - this Gamepad play featuire - the unique selling point of these upgraded VC games: Wasn't that supposed to be implemented at launch?

They said they were thinking about doing that but didn't get that far yet. Probably one of the reasons why the VC is as delayed as it is right now.

My Backlog | http://www.backloggery.com/thesolarknight

Friend Safari: Espurr, Munna, Duosion

3DS Friend Code: 3909-7515-3526 | Nintendo Network ID: ThePillowGolem

AuthorMessage

Inev

280. Posted:

Nintendo is absolutely NOT making you pay again for VC games you purchased years ago. You can play all your Virtual Console games on your Wii U right now, for free, in Wii mode.

What you ARE being charged for is extra functionality in the form of gamepad play and restore points (and I think Miiverse integration too, but I'm not sure). If you find a title in your VC collection that you'd love to play on the gamepad, or a game you enjoy playing, but is so difficult that restore points are the only way you can make real progress, then yes, you will be charged. But those are significant new features, and it's a little silly to expect them to be given away for free.

You could also level the same argument against the virtual console service itself: "Why do I have to pay for SMB3 again when I already have an NES cartridge of it?"; it's a matter of paying for convenience. Besides, you can always just pick a few of your favorite VC games and only pay the extra fee for them!

Inev