Wii U eShop Forum

Topic: Nintendo making us pay AGAIN for virtual console titles we have already purchased years ago **** WARNING: I'M UPSET ****

Showing 181 to 200 of 468

AuthorMessage

Aviator

181. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Well than go play your VC games on Wii and quit complaining about them on Wii U.

I edited this to make it fit to this situation.

[strong]When you touch me I die,
just a little inside,
I wonder if
this could be love.[/strong]
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage

benportugal

182. Posted:

I'm not someone who's bothered about spending a bit of cash. I've purchased VC games that I still have on N64 carts, I buy TV shows on iTunes that I have on DVD for pure convenience, and I've paid for plenty of music downloads that I have previously bought on CD.

BUT I am in the "disapproving club" on this one:

1. As mentioned by the previous poster, Nintendo is the only console company making money by charging people to use the new features of their console. These things are what you bought the hardware for.

2. The cost being per game means that those who have supported VC (and Nintendo) the most will pay the most. Yes, I know nobody HAS to upgrade their games, but the Wii Mode is annoying and clunky. In this day and age it's shouldn't be too much to expect to be able to have all your games on one menu.

3. $1 or so may not be much but it's the same price that people are now used to paying for decent iOS games that require far more coding than remapping a few buttons (which is exactly the same coding for every game)

4. The prices we've been given are for NES/SNES games - we can assume the N64 games will cost even more.

5. The prices Nintendo are planning to charge to download a NES game (over €5 I noticed today would be the standard price for Balloon Fight) are utterly ridiculous anyway. Again, I would use the comparison of the cost of iOS games.

Ultimately, what winds me up is that the system penalises the loyal Nintendo fans the most. It's like Nintendo know that the likes of me will want everything neat and on one menu, and know we will pay for the privilege.

Which is exactly what I'll do, but I'm entitled to a good moan first.

Edited on by benportugal

benportugal

AuthorMessage

Omega

183. Posted:

I don't know what the problem is. You can play all your VC games on the WiiU like you could on the Wii. That's not bad.
And if you pay something extra you can cheat like it's easter on xmas and play your games on a tiny 6 inch screen.

Ωɱɛɡɑ

AuthorMessage

Bankai

184. Posted:

benportugal wrote:

I'm not someone who's bothered about spending a bit of cash. I've purchased VC games that I still have on N64 carts, I buy TV shows on iTunes that I have on DVD for pure convenience, and I've paid for plenty of music downloads that I have previously bought on CD.

BUT I am in the "disapproving club" on this one:

1. As mentioned by the previous poster, Nintendo is the only console company making money by charging people to use the new features of their console. These things are what you bought the hardware for.

2. The cost being per game means that those who have supported VC (and Nintendo) the most will pay the most. Yes, I know nobody HAS to upgrade their games, but the Wii Mode is annoying and clunky. In this day and age it's shouldn't be too much to expect to be able to have all your games on one menu.

3. $1 or so may not be much but it's the same price that people are now used to paying for decent iOS games that require far more coding than remapping a few buttons (which is exactly the same coding for every game)

4. The prices we've been given are for NES/SNES games - we can assume the N64 games will cost even more.

5. The prices Nintendo are planning to charge to download a NES game (over €5 I noticed today would be the standard price for Balloon Fight) are utterly ridiculous anyway. Again, I would use the comparison of the cost of iOS games.

Ultimately, what winds me up is that the system penalises the loyal Nintendo fans the most. It's like Nintendo know that the likes of me will want everything neat and on one menu, and know we will pay for the privilege.

Which is exactly what I'll do, but I'm entitled to a good moan first.

i like you.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

185. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Sony didn't charge me to play my downloaded PSN titles on my Vita. Nintendo does though.

Poor Sony programmers. Not getting paid enough and such.

http://www.nintendolife.com/features

Well than go play your Vita and quit complaining about Nintendo. Just cause one company does something one way everyone has to do it that way?

Actually the point is that Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Valve all do the same thing (free transfer of games between devices, once you've paid for the license)

Nintendo's the odd one out (gimme money or you're stuck playing it without the funky new features of the Wii U).

So either Nintendo is so far behind the rest of the pack in terms of the digital age that it can't offer a service that everyone else can, or it's gouging.

Which is it?

Different companies handle things different. So what you are saying is that if Microsoft, Apple, Valve jump off of a cliff so should Nintendo?

Microsoft, Sony and Apple make millions off of other things Operating systems, CD players, Ipods that maybe they can afford to do that stuff for nothing. Nintendo is a video game company they dont have other divisions to carry there game division like the others do.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

Bankai

186. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Sony didn't charge me to play my downloaded PSN titles on my Vita. Nintendo does though.

Poor Sony programmers. Not getting paid enough and such.

http://www.nintendolife.com/features

Well than go play your Vita and quit complaining about Nintendo. Just cause one company does something one way everyone has to do it that way?

Actually the point is that Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Valve all do the same thing (free transfer of games between devices, once you've paid for the license)

Nintendo's the odd one out (gimme money or you're stuck playing it without the funky new features of the Wii U).

So either Nintendo is so far behind the rest of the pack in terms of the digital age that it can't offer a service that everyone else can, or it's gouging.

Which is it?

Different companies handle things different. So what you are saying is that if Microsoft, Apple, Valve jump off of a cliff so should Nintendo?

Microsoft, Sony and Apple make millions off of other things Operating systems, CD players, Ipods that maybe they can afford to do that stuff for nothing. Nintendo is a video game company they dont have other divisions to carry there game division like the others do.

That isn't how businesses are structured. Every division within a business still needs to turn a profit or it is liable to be axed.

Each division reports separately to the board.

Also Nintendo has plenty of revenue streams.

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

187. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Yeah nice logic. Can't play VC games on your Wii U properly? Go play Vita. lol

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

SMEXIZELDAMAN

188. Posted:

Games aren't even fun so why are we all complain? ;_____; Let's all just be friend! :*

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

189. Posted:

@Bankai: I recently killed my iPod so I have to bring this up. Is Apple making revenue by charging an arm and a leg for repair and charging for technical support in general (outside of warranty)? Just curious.

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

190. Posted:

I forgot everyone around here is just so smart and knows the answers to everything. I am beginning to think that people around here just start topics to argue with people.

Well play what you want and pay for what you want in the end thats how it is. No matter how much you whine companies are going to do what they want to do. If your not happy with them than dont deal with them.

Edited on by theblackdragon

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

Bankai

191. Posted:

LZBirdboi wrote:

@Bankai: I recently killed my iPod so I have to bring this up. Is Apple making revenue by charging an arm and a leg for repair and charging for technical support in general (outside of warranty)? Just curious.

I really have no idea - I've never dealt with Apple outside of warranty personally, and never looked at it from a professional POV

That wouldn't surprise me if it was generating profit from repairs, though.

Edited on by Bankai

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

192. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

LZBirdboi wrote:

I really have no idea - I've never dealt with Apple outside of warranty personally, and never looked at it from a professional POV

That wouldn't surprise me if it was generating profit from repairs, though.

Well let's just say it turned me away from buying their products again. They're too expensive for me anyway >:[

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

AuthorMessage

moomoo

193. Posted:

For what it's worth, it's not like I justify every one of Nintendo's actions. I think they way overprice the vast majority of their games on VC (I'm sorry, I can buy Vagrant Story on PSN for $6. It makes charging as much as they do seem ludicrous). I also find it odd that this isn't offered for 3DS, since there are many Wii VC owners that have 3DS systems and would like to play games they already have, and since Nintendo is able to know who has what through Club Nintendo, it's pretty stupid that this isn't offered for 3DS. And the fact that Wii Mode is a thing is dissapointing. I'm really hoping Nintendo tries to make it so people don't need to activate it to play Wii games (althought that's probably never going to happen).

However, there are some things that I just can't really feel for. $1 is barely anything. Yeah, you could say "iOS games cost that much" but at the same time many of those aren't being charged appropriately. I personally believe Angry Birds should cost 10 times as much as it does, what with how much content it offers. At the same time, meanwhile, you've got avatar items for $3 on the Microsoft marketplace. And Horse armor DLC. And even then, you don't have to upgrade every game. Who's honestly going to want to bring over games like Mario Kart 64 with such an emphasis on 4-player multiplayer or those games like Breath of Fire 2 where you played it, enjoyed it's translation erros, beat it, and went on to do somehting else, not planning to play it again? Then in regards to wanting to utilize the hardware: I doubt a single person who bought or plans to buy a Wii U got it for playing VC games they already own on their Wii. No one bought it to utilize new features in virtual console. I'll take back that bet with Waltz that I might as well already have won regarding TWEWY iOS sales numbers if that's really the case for a single person.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage

Bankai

194. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

I forgot everyone around here is just so smart and knows the answers to everything. I am beginning to think that people around here just start topics to argue with people.

Well play what you want and pay for what you want in the end thats how it is. No matter how much you bitch and whine companies are going to do what they want to do. If your not happy with them than dont deal with them.

Coming from the guy that had an argument with me a year or so ago because of a Netflix price hike, I wouldn't take the high ground if I was you.

The only company I have ever seen you "understand" the need to turn a profit is Nintendo.

If you enjoy being gouged, that's your business. Other people are perfectly entitled to argue against what Nintendo is doing. Most of us will likely even pay for this "service." We're still entitled to say it is poor form by Nintendo.

AuthorMessage

Firejonie

195. Posted:

I really don't think $1 is a bad price for off TV play, Miiverse, multiple controller options, and a customized button mapping system.

Firejonie

AuthorMessage

SparkOfSpirit

196. Posted:

Firejonie wrote:

I really don't think $1 is a bad price for off TV play, Miiverse, multiple controller options, and a customized button mapping system.

Same.

It's not like they're all being re-released off the bat either, so I'll have plenty of time to get them all again.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

AuthorMessage

Bankai

197. Posted:

moomoo wrote:

For what it's worth, it's not like I justify every one of Nintendo's actions. I think they way overprice the vast majority of their games on VC (I'm sorry, I can buy Vagrant Story on PSN for $6. It makes charging as much as they do seem ludicrous). I also find it odd that this isn't offered for 3DS, since there are many Wii VC owners that have 3DS systems and would like to play games they already have, and since Nintendo is able to know who has what through Club Nintendo, it's pretty stupid that this isn't offered for 3DS. And the fact that Wii Mode is a thing is dissapointing. I'm really hoping Nintendo tries to make it so people don't need to activate it to play Wii games (althought that's probably never going to happen).

However, there are some things that I just can't really feel for. $1 is barely anything. Yeah, you could say "iOS games cost that much" but at the same time many of those aren't being charged appropriately. I personally believe Angry Birds should cost 10 times as much as it does, what with how much content it offers. At the same time, meanwhile, you've got avatar items for $3 on the Microsoft marketplace. And Horse armor DLC. And even then, you don't have to upgrade every game. Who's honestly going to want to bring over games like Mario Kart 64 with such an emphasis on 4-player multiplayer or those games like Breath of Fire 2 where you played it, enjoyed it's translation erros, beat it, and went on to do somehting else, not planning to play it again? Then in regards to wanting to utilize the hardware: I doubt a single person who bought or plans to buy a Wii U got it for playing VC games they already own on their Wii. No one bought it to utilize new features in virtual console. I'll take back that bet with Waltz that I might as well already have won regarding TWEWY iOS sales numbers if that's really the case for a single person.

I'm fairly certain we're protesting on the principle of the action here.

I know I can certainly afford $40 or whatever to transfer over my VC library. I would rather have bought a game with that money, but meh.

But it wouldn't cost Nintendo anything not to charge consumers for the right to transfer stuff over. I know laymen say "Nintendo can't afford to lose $1 per game," but Nintendo doesn't PAY any money when someone does a transfer. The only cost for Nintendo is the development cost - likely done by a small team of R&D software engineers in the background.

This is an operational cost, and it's like saying that any game that has an online component should be charging people a monthly subscription for server maintenance. Nintendo as a corporation has a responsibility to keep these back end operational activities going on anyway. To charge for it is, frankly, offensive.

Or to put it another way, the same organisation within Nintendo that is responsable for the development of this code is the organisation that would be responsible for the Wii U's firmware updates.

If you can honestly say that you would support Nintendo charging money for firmware updates then you're living with a different idea of rational than I am.

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

198. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Coming from the guy that had an argument with me a year or so ago because of a Netflix price hike,

I honestly dont remember that one.

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

199. Posted:

Meh, either way I don't care. I'll be happy to pay Nintendo those extra dollars. Let them gouge if it works.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

AuthorMessage

Bankai

200. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Coming from the guy that had an argument with me a year or so ago because of a Netflix price hike,

I honestly dont remember that one.

Here you go: it was actually two years ago: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/general_discussion/netflix...