Forums

Topic: Let's buy eShop games 2015-2016 thread!

Posts 21 to 40 of 84

Nintex

Well I've gotten quite a few eShop titles so far this year, with a lot more to get.

WiiU eShop/VC
1. Trine: Enchanted Edition
2. Donkey Kong Country
3. F-Zero GP Legend
4. Rock N Roll Racing Off Road
5. Kirby's Dreamland 3
6. Darksiders 2

3DS eShop/VC
1. 1001 Spikes
2. IronFall Invasion
3. Dillion's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger
4. After Burner 2
5. Moon Chronicles

Saving the world 1 game at a time

Some of my fav franchises- F-zero Mario Kart Monster Hunter, Pokemon Waverace 1080 Extreme-G Metroid Resident Evil

3DS FC: 5198 3400 1425 (add me!)
PKM FC 1507 3524 8824
WiiU Nintendo ID: NINTEX

jariw

Chariot, OlliOlli, Blek and some downloadable Wii double dipping is what I got so far this year, I think.

Some of the eShop games I look forward to for the rest of the year are:

• Affordable Space Adventures
  • Canvaleon
  • Don't Starve - Giant Edition
  • Runbow
  • Swords & Soldiers II
  • Hex Heroes
  • Never Alone
  • Aperion Cyberstorm
  • Mario vs. DK: Tipping Stars
  • Art Academy

...and many more.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

Pimmen

So far I've purchased these eshop games:

Wii U:
Blok Drop U
Darts Up
Namco Museum
Wrecking Crew
Blek
Blok Drop X: Twisted Fusion
Tengami

3DS:
Gunman Clive 2
3D Shinobi III
3D Streets of Rage
3D Ecco the Dolphin
3D Super Hang-on
League of Heroes

There are plenty more games I'm planning to get this year. Really looking forward to Never Alone, Runbow and Mario vs Donkey Kong just to name a few.

Edited on by Pimmen

Pimmen

3DS Friend Code: 4398-9830-3316 | Nintendo Network ID: Kejsarn

Electricmastro

I just bought Mutant Mudds Deluxe.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

spizzamarozzi

Alright, I've taken the pledge to not buy eShop games unless they are on sale and look like real games and not like something a kid has made in his spare time. I know many people won't agree with this because developers get less money when they sell a discounted game, but I would hardly bother will full prices, so it's better to give them less money than no money at all. And eShop sales are usually honest, they are not like Steam where sometimes you can get a 60 buck game for a coin and a peanut.
So far I got:
Ollie Ollie (pretty good)
Shantae and the Pirate's Course (unimpressed)
Tetrobot & Co. (pretty good)
Wooden SenSey (kinda crap)
Puddle (haven't tried)
D&D Chronicles of Mystara (haven't tried)

Curve Digital is having a great sale this Thursday and I'll probably get all the stuff they put out that I still miss. Their stuff tends to be boss and I can't wait to try Lone Survivor. I really recommend people to give Stealth Inc 2 a try because it's very good, as in "best indie game on the eShop" kind of good.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

DefHalan

^ If you thought Shantae was unimpressive then I don't think I will be able to ever make a game you like.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Sean_Aaron

So far for indies on eShop I've purchased

Blek
Affordable Space Adventures
Ultratron

I try to purchase as close to release as possible, because I know that first month of sales is often the most crucial. I tend to be a bit more choosy now than I was at launch simply because I've got so many games competing for my attention: first party major releases and Virtual Console along with indies. My backlog is massive, so I'm not hurting for stuff to play and there are games like Pikmin 3 I want to play again or that I've not fully-explored DLC for, which is why I'm playing Warriors Orochi 3 some more.

Waiting for sales I can understand if you're on a budget, but it seems rather cynical to expect sales. I see them as a nice gimme, but a sale price rarely gets a sale from me unless it's a game I simply overlooked to start with. I suppose in that regard they're a good thing, so publishers shouldn't feel the need to dig too deep. I do think if your game is on the market for six months and it's gone quiet a permanent discount might be in order just to see if you can get those extra sales - certainly if there's no continuing revenue stream it can't hurt!

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

spizzamarozzi

@Sean_Aaron short answer would be yeah, I'm always on a budget - who isn't? Proper answer is that it might be cynical to expect sales, but the games I get on a sale are usually games I wouldn't bother with otherwise. I've bought my fair share of full price indies (Stealth Inc. 2, Ollie Ollie, Guacamelee, Shovel Knight, Little Inferno etc) but those were games that interested me and, in a way, sure-fire purchases because they looked quality, both conceptually and on a technical level.
I simply can't afford, financially, take a chance on many games. If I had the money I would bet on this or that game, and it would make a nice alternative to the horseraces, but as of now, there are games I have gotten at a sale that I would never re-buy full price (I don't feel I have to list them). On the other hand there are games I have gotten that I really liked, and that studio has earned my full-price support for future releases (we always talk about "support" but support has to be based on something, can't be given out for free can it?).
At the end of the day, I don't feel too guilty about buying at a discount because one way or another I am giving more money to the developers than I would have given WITHOUT discounts. I have never gotten a single free code for indies and the maximum I've gotten from the digital deluxe promotion was a total of 15 quid, I very rarely have bought stuff with "virtual money", so I feel like I do my part supporting the eShop, even if I buy at a discount.

Not too fond on the idea of perma-discounts because I would feel like an idiot had I bought a game full price and six months later it gets slashed permanently by a half. I mean, most people would feel fooled.

What I'd like is the eShop (and the whole indie industry in general) to have standard prices, or different price categories, like 5 - 10 - 15 and 20 euro/dollar/pound games. I hate the fact that the D.I.Y. price has led to D.I.Y. expectations and that's the reason why 2 dollar crap usually sells way better than proper games. I have played some good €2 games (the Two Tribes games for example) and I would have paid more for them. If we had set prices these would easily find an audience for €5 euro, while stuff like Chimpuzzle, Block Drop U and Spikey Walls wouldn't be released and the world would be safe.

I'd say, get rid of everything under €5 - if you feel your game has less of 5 euro worth of content, don't release it, or work on it until you can meet that amount of content/expectations. This would work a bit like the fixed price for retail release (ex: €60), where developers know that for €60 they have to offer "that amount" of stuff. Not that stinkers do not exist in the retail world, but usually they are easier to spot and get quickly crucyfied by press and public.
Same thing with other price ranges - it would be just a way to give a rule to an industry that feels like a jungle...

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

Sean_Aaron

Well the only reason I could see for doing a permanent discount is if the game isn't selling at all and the publisher has made their money back so they just want to ensure a steady sales trickle of some kind. I don't see why you'd feel bad about that - do you feel like a sucker for going to the cinema knowing the film can be had on DVD in a sale months later for less? Or buying a book in hardcover with the knowledge a cheaper paperback will likely come out months or a year later?

In that case just don't buy anything at release if you're patient enough. If people ignore things long enough they tend to be cheaper down the line: see Zombie U.

Sparx

I got affordable space adventures but have yet to try it since getting two other people to sit down with me has proved harder than normal

My avatar is from here

kkslider5552000

For the record, OlliOlli has some odd control decisions but is shockingly compelling and challenging (in a mostly good way) for a 2D skateboarding game.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

gcunit

I bought The Swapper the other night. Only played it for about 15 minutes so but I'm definitely glad I waited for the sale. I'm not sure whether I'm disappointed with it even at half price. The animation of the character leaves a lot to be desired, and it seems the moveset is quite limited. We'll see...

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Zanark

The eshop games i bought were:
-King Dedede Drum Dash
-Boxboy
-Fullblox
They were all excellent games.

Friend code: 1934-1399-5355

SKTTR

Got some more eShop games

• Kirby and the Rainbow-Paintbrush (Nintendo)
  • amiibo Touch & Play: Nintendo Classics Highlights (Nintendo)
  • The Fall (Over The Moon Games)
  • Ultratron (Curve Digital / puppygames)
  • Trine - Enchanted Edition (Frozenbyte)
  • Nihilumbra (BeautiFun Games)
  • Puzzle Monkeys (Log Games)
  • Family Tennis SP (Shin'en Multimedia / ARC SYSTEM WORKS)
  • Wooden Sen'SeY (Neko Entertainment / Upper Byte Studio)
  • Angry Bunnies: Colossal Carrot Crusade (Cypronia)
  • My Style Studio: Notebook (Cypronia)
  • Cake Ninja 3: The Legend Continues (Cypronia)
  • Chimpuzzle Pro (CW-Games)

And new on Wii U Virtual Console:

• Duck Hunt (NES)
  • Pilotwings (SNES)
  • F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (GBA)
  • Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (GBA)
  • Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (GBA)
  • Metroid Fusion (GBA)
  • WarioWare, Inc.: Minigame Mania (GBA)

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

spizzamarozzi

SKTTR wrote:

• 5/10 Rock 'N Racing Off Road (got it on sale)

@SKTTR I have seen the official trailer for this and even the people who made the game can't drive the car on a straight line...
I liked TNT Racers and I'm kinda craving for another racing game in the vein of RC. Pro-Am...is this so terrible or will I be able to squeeze 3 or 4 hours of fun out of it?!

Okapi

What I have bought on the EShop this year:
-Metroid Prime Trilogy
-Punch-Out!! (Wii)

What I'm planning to get:
-Tadpole Treble (Wii U)
-Nefarious (Wii U)

-I'll also pick up Mario 64 at some point.

Okapi

SKTTR

spizzamarozzi wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

• 5/10 Rock 'N Racing Off Road (got it on sale)

@SKTTR I have seen the official trailer for this and even the people who made the game can't drive the car on a straight line...
I liked TNT Racers and I'm kinda craving for another racing game in the vein of RC. Pro-Am...is this so terrible or will I be able to squeeze 3 or 4 hours of fun out of it?!

The problem with this game is, you don't get classic Super Off-Road racing action.
You'd expect a great version, or something that's at least on par with a 1990 game, but it doesn't deliver.
Graphics and audio are functional but mediocre and uncharming.
Back in the day we played those single screen games and everything was clear, now with amazing HD technology it somehow feels too small. (We played on a large HD, but beginners easily lose track of their vehicles when they are obscured by objects in the foreground.)
Gameplay is barebones, CPU racers can cheat themselves back on course and are generally very good, but if you're lucky their AI is so broken that they get stuck in the course. The fourth/final cup (all 12 tracks in a row) feels like an artificial extension of a very short single player game.

The multiplayer is ok, it's actually fun for a few rounds with 5 players (without CPU players!) But only if you got friends into this top down style. The controls are simple as well and the physics are surprisingly nice. Takes some time getting used to though.
And if you're into it, the online leaderboards could extend your playtime a little more.

Still, it's something I wouldn't recommend as there were better games of this kind 25 years ago, so sorry.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Sean_Aaron

Are we including VC titles here? I thought this board was just for original eShop content - just quibbling because I buy more Virtual Console stuff than original eShop content.

kkslider5552000

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Are we including VC titles here? I thought this board was just for original eShop content - just quibbling because I buy more Virtual Console stuff than original eShop content.

It's not a big deal either way but I'd prefer people focus on original eShop content (also we have a forum for Virtual Console y'know...). Also want to avoid people bragging about buying Mario 3 for the 5th time or something equally silly.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

spizzamarozzi

SKTTR wrote:

The problem with this game is, you don't get classic Super Off-Road racing action.
You'd expect a great version, or something that's at least on par with a 1990 game, but it doesn't deliver.
Graphics and audio are functional but mediocre and uncharming.
Back in the day we played those single screen games and everything was clear, now with amazing HD technology it somehow feels too small. (We played on a large HD, but beginners easily lose track of their vehicles when they are obscured by objects in the foreground.)
Gameplay is barebones, CPU racers can cheat themselves back on course and are generally very good, but if you're lucky their AI is so broken that they get stuck in the course. The fourth/final cup (all 12 tracks in a row) feels like an artificial extension of a very short single player game.

The multiplayer is ok, it's actually fun for a few rounds with 5 players (without CPU players!) But only if you got friends into this top down style. The controls are simple as well and the physics are surprisingly nice. Takes some time getting used to though.
And if you're into it, the online leaderboards could extend your playtime a little more.

Still, it's something I wouldn't recommend as there were better games of this kind 25 years ago, so sorry.

thanks a lot for all the details...as usual. I'll pass unless there's a huge discount someday and I'll be able to get it for so cheap I won't regret it. It's that time of the year when I wake up in the morning craving for 2D racing games - guess I'm getting older. There's a few WiiWare games I still need to check out - but it's such a shame they didn't port Neo Drift Out!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.