Forums

Topic: 1001 Spikes Thread of Discussion

Posts 1 to 20 of 20

WiiWareWave

Are your bodies ready?! 1001 Spikes releases on June 3rd for the Wii U eshop in North America! Are you looking forward to this title and want to have a discussion about it?! If so then this is the topic you've been looking for.

Release date source: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/SJtqqz8DEFGO8CFAvPR98xJU...

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

SKTTR

I'm looking forward to it, when it hits Europe and is fixed from freezing bugs.
Multiplayer looks fun.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

DefHalan

I got this for $10.01 on Wii U. I don't know how I got it almost $5 cheaper as the discount only mentions the 3DS version

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

tyrone

SKTTR wrote:

I'm looking forward to it, when it hits Europe and is fixed from freezing bugs.
Multiplayer looks fun.

We're working on getting 1001 Spikes in Europe this summer--just trying to get five versions of the game rated by three governing boards. Update on Monday should fix any issues that players encountered last week.

tyrone

Twitter:

dirtymangle

The game is hard but great, recommends it to anyone thats into retro gaming!

Can you handle the mangle?! DirtyMangle.com

Action51

My opinion:

I LOVE this game. I have always loved actual no BS classic 8 and 16 bit sprites and styles of games, and this game has them. The presentation is a love letter to the classic days of 8-bit gaming. I'm reminded of "Legacy of the Wizard" "Adventures of Lolo" and "The Goonies".

On top of that, it's really tough but keeps you trying because it's based on skill and puzzle solving. There are additional game modes to unlock, and play multiplayer. I fell in love with this game almost immediately.

Worth all 1001 pennies on the North American e-shop.

Action51

TTGlider

I'd like to bump this after playing it and Shovel Knight back to back for some hours on my WiiU. First, 1001 Spikes has a couple sound glitches that I hope Nicalis addresses in a patch soon. I can't imagine I'm the only one hearing them. Also the "parallax" in the backgrounds (when moving)
of 1001 is a little eye-strainy as is the flicker on the foreground that makes your character darken when in motion.

Now to compare the two games, I'd say 1001 clearly has the more clever and brilliantly hateful level design. Shovel Knight has more humor and more creativity and is more lush in really all aspects (writing, art, music, depth), but I'd actually believe that 1001's comparatively thin design is intentional to match the game's harsh challenge. Getting the timing down in 1001 is really tough and I love the idea of the two jump buttons where often the level can only be completed by using the correct jump at the correct time. And the use of daggers to cancel enemy projectiles is really wild and turns it in to a rhythm game kinda. The first time I realized I could solve a puzzle faster by daggering flying darts instead of hiding behind the block I was pushing was a great 'ah ha!' moment. I also have to give props to 1001 for packing in the alternate modes right at launch, although similar stuff is promised for Shovel Knight.

Shovel Knight is a lot juicier and I guess you could say it is more "fun", at least for the normals out there. 1001 has more of that feeling of finding a previously unknown super cool and different bit of freeware executable, just like Cave Story had way back when (but again, Cave Story leans on art and setting while 1001 beats it in action puzzle levels).

TTGlider

WiiWareWave

Is anyone else experiencing game breaking glitches with some of the unlockable characters such as Commander Video that prevent you from progressing in the main game?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

ACK

@TTGlider: I suppose I agree somewhat. I'd summarize my comparative feelings as Shovel Knight is compelling, while 1001 is addicting. I mean that in every possible connotation. However, I would definitely choose SK if I only had room for one.

@Rukiafan: Why, yes. Thoroughly. The unlockable content is a mess. Disgusting, even. I just resigned myself to waiting for the patch... Should have known when the it launched without the essentials (off-TV play). It's frustrating to buy games day one, only to sit on them until they are patched or forgotten. Unfortunately, that has become par for the course with my Nicalis purchases.

Edited on by ACK

ACK

Twitter:

DefHalan

Last night I got an update to 1001 Spikes and now I have Off-TV Play, going to be playing this a lot more

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SKTTR

EnjoyUp got us Europeans La-Mulana. I wish they'd publish this Nicalis game too.
The folks over at Nicalis don't seem interested in a European version.

nacho_chicken

SKTTR wrote:

EnjoyUp got us Europeans La-Mulana. I wish they'd publish this Nicalis game too.

EnjoyUp also published La-Mulana on WiiWare in NA after countless "it's coming eventually" messages from Nicalis. In time, I've come to dislike how Nicalis does business. It stinks that you folks on the other side of the pond can't play this on Wii U. Hopefully someday!

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

WiiWareWave

SKTTR wrote:

Well technically Nicalis never released La-Mulana in NA either. They cancelled the game and Enjoy Up! published it in both NA and EU.

Edited on by WiiWareWave

SKTTR

Oh man I forgot that EnjoyUp published La-Mulana in NA as well, as they're from Spain.

I wish they'd release something outstanding like La-Mulana again. UnEpic was fantastic. And Spy Chameleon was nice for the price.

Do you think they could take on some good NA only games, like 1001 Spikes, A World of Keflings, or Ballpoint Universe Infinite, and release them in Europe?

spizzamarozzi

SKTTR wrote:

Do you think they could take on some good NA only games, like 1001 Spikes, A World of Keflings, or Ballpoint Universe Infinite, and release them in Europe?

Back in March 2015 they said that they were going to release 1001 Spikes, Grinsia and a third game here in Europe by this summer. Dunno what the third game is, probably that one that looks like Zelda where you shoot tears.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

unrandomsam

If they do what they did last time and do a Humble Bundle for PC at the same time then they shouldn't be surprised when they hardly sell any.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

SKTTR

spizzamarozzi wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

Back in March 2015 they said that they were going to release 1001 Spikes, Grinsia and a third game here in Europe by this summer. Dunno what the third game is, probably that one that looks like Zelda where you shoot tears.

Really? I hope they give us a release date soon!

spizzamarozzi

http://it.ign.com/1001-spikes-ps4/95332/news/1001-spikes-si-d...

news it's in italian but that's it. Looking at it now, it's based on a tweet posted on April the 1st so I don't know what to think - maybe @tyrone can shed some light on the subject...

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.